Athlon Sports College Football Starting Quarterback Rankings for 2019 (Top 130)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s funny that they actually put Fat Stanley as his name in the Athlon preview. CF works.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I was told at the beginning of last summer by all of my Hawkeye friends that Stanley was a full sure lock to be a 1st rounder because Todd McShay said so. I didn't believe it, I still don't believe it. And man I love seeing our guy not only in the top-20, but ahead of that guy out east.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Tech, Baylor, Iowa St., OU, Texas made top 50.

Purdy's excerpt:
18. Brock Purdy, Iowa State

After a breakout performance against Oklahoma State (318 yards and 4 TDs), Purdy assumed the starting job and never relinquished it the rest of the way. The Arizona native went 6-2 over his eight starts and finished the 2018 season with 2,250 yards and 16 touchdowns. Purdy tossed only seven picks over 220 attempts and added 308 yards and five scores on the ground. Additionally, his 66.4 completion percentage ranked third among qualified quarterbacks in the Big 12 last fall. Purdy won’t have No. 1 receiver Hakeem Butler to throw to in 2019, but he’s primed to take another step forward in his development.

Seems like a very fair assessment in my book. TCU has got some figuring out to do in the off-season

Last edited:

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Other Big12 QBs:
3. Sam Ehlinger, Texas
6. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
27. Charlie Brewer, Baylor
30. Alan Bowman, Texas Tech
59. Spencer Sanders, Oklahoma State
70. Skylar Thompson, Kansas State
71. Austin Kendall, West Virginia
84. Alex Delton, TCU
116. Thomas MacVittie, Kansas

Also, 60. Caleb Evans, ULM, since they are our other opponent

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone and tyler24

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I assume Jalen Hurts is already on the Oklahoma campus?

If not he will struggle. He stay may, but it would be really hard to get caught up with the new playbook and receivers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I haven’t made it through my Athlon yet (limited vision sucks, but working through it in bits and pieces, I kept noticing comments on quarterbacks they thought had really good seasons last fall. Most of those were freshmen “phenomena” but there were some upperclassmen I could include as well.

And when I looked at the numbers they put up in a full season, Brock Purdy did almost as well—sometimes better—in just eight games.

USC’s JT Daniels is one example. A mega recruit, he had one whole heck of a lot more talent around him than Brock did. But his numbers (if I see correctly) were only 216 of 363 for 2,672 yards, with 16 TD’s and 10 interceptions. In what I believe was a full season.

Brock was only a bit more than 400 yards behind that, with the same TD’s. And fewer INT’s.

Yep, we’ve got a special one!

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Purdy will have the whole off season to work with the receivers, get stronger in the weight room, better to know the staff and team mates. He should be even better than last year.
If he is, and the OL can continue to improve, they should with all 5 returning, ISU could have a very special year this fall.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Other Big12 QBs:
3. Sam Ehlinger, Texas
6. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
27. Charlie Brewer, Baylor
30. Alan Bowman, Texas Tech
59. Spencer Sanders, Oklahoma State
70. Skylar Thompson, Kansas State
71. Austin Kendall, West Virginia
84. Alex Delton, TCU
116. Thomas MacVittie, Kansas

Also, 60. Caleb Evans, ULM, since they are our other opponent

Hurts at OU is the one that I am interested in seeing perform. He will not have the Alabama defense behind him. Hurts is more of a runner, than a passer, which totally goes against OU offensive game plan the last two years. Riley is going to have to either "coach him up" or change what has worked the past 2 years.

If anyone can fall off the map, I would put money on Hurts, I know he is 26-2 as a starting QB, but that is with the best talent in college football, OU has very good talent, but not Alabama or Clemson talent.

Help Support Us

Become a patron