Golf Sucks

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've played golf for years, and most of the time the slowest players are the ones who rent carts and drive to each ball, wait for the player to hit, and then drive to the other player's ball, wait to hit, etc. Drop off a player, let that person walk after hitting, and the game moves much faster.

I almost exclusively walk (I am in my 50s), and for the past three decades I have rarely seen players driving carts play any faster than those who walk.

Most slow play really occurs on the greens. Just hit the ball. Pros take a long time to putt because they are PLAYING FOR A LIVING. Even a 15-20 handicap player can still play 18 holes in under 4 hrs if they don't search for balls too long and grip and rip.

When I golfed regularly, we used carts and speed was the name of the game. We could knock out 9 holes in 40 minutes. If we didn't hit the brakes right away, the ball was in the air by about the time the cart came to a complete stop. Grabbed clubs on the way to the hole. Sometimes we would one club the hole (Tee off with the driver and then use a six iron or so the rest of the way)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
When I golfed regularly, we used carts and speed was the name of the game. We could knock out 9 holes in 40 minutes. If we didn't hit the brakes right away, the ball was in the air by about the time the cart came to a complete stop. Grabbed clubs on the way to the hole. Sometimes we would one club the hole (Tee off with the driver and then use a six iron or so the rest of the way)

What's the point of that? It's always ether too slow or too fast. My biggest problem is I just can't even see where the hell the ball goes 1/2 the time. Even if I hit a great shot I don't know. Maybe they could put a GPS tracker in my phone to tell me how far the ball went and where to find the stupid little thing.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

That doesn't really sound like that much fun. We can play in a touch over an hour just playing normal.

I do hate slow golfers. Last week, I went out at 6 by myself thinking I could get 27 in in about 2 hours. Two hours later, I was done with nine holes because I had 3 groups of old people in front of me. Obviously, they move really slowly but that wasn't the issue. The issue was they stood around every green and tee box chatting for a couple minutes every hole. I don't mind if you suck and have to hit more shots. I do mind when you suck and have to hit more shots and also dink around.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's funny, I fish often which often includes wading in cool water or paddling and there's usually general solitude and friends wonder why I don't want to go golfing on a hot humid golf course where you have to do things like wait for others and stand in the heat.

Great sport but I have a hard time seeing it as a leisure activity.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney and arobb

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That doesn't really sound like that much fun. We can play in a touch over an hour just playing normal.

I do hate slow golfers. Last week, I went out at 6 by myself thinking I could get 27 in in about 2 hours. Two hours later, I was done with nine holes because I had 3 groups of old people in front of me. Obviously, they move really slowly but that wasn't the issue. The issue was they stood around every green and tee box chatting for a couple minutes every hole. I don't mind if you suck and have to hit more shots. I do mind when you suck and have to hit more shots and also dink around.

So you didn’t want to have fun on those 27 holes because you would have been doing 9 holes in 40 minutes.

Reactions: isutrevman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So you didn’t want to have fun on those 27 holes because you would have been doing 9 holes in 40 minutes.

Yeah, by myself, playing normal. Not with three other guys just seeing how fast we can play.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Top Golf provides all of the fun parts of golf and takes out the rest. The ratio at TG is also always way better then at a real golf course, which is a bonus for me. (Golf courses are sausage fests)

If you really enjoy playing golf, Top Golf doesn't quite hit the spot. It's fun, but I'll take playing 18 on a good course any day.

Generally speaking, I think issues at golf courses come from a lack of experience. I was lucky enough to learn at a young age, and etiquette was always just as important as learning to hit the ball.

If you're just learning, don't get a tee time at 1:00 on a Saturday. Hit the twilight prices on weekdays. If you're spraying the ball all over the course, it's OK to take a mulligan here and there, but not on every tee. Know when to stop looking for a lost ball. Know when to pick up your ball and head to the next hole. Drive to your cart mate's ball and drop them off. Then go find your ball, and they can catch up after they hit. You don't have to drive the cart everywhere. You don't need to walk around the green like you're playing at Augusta on Sunday. Take a look at your line, take a practice stroke, step up to the ball and hit it.

Some of it is the courses not knowing what they're doing, but there's some simple etiquette you can pick up from people who have played that makes it more enjoyable for everyone. Golf is a great sport. I'm guessing most who are complaining in this thread have a little trouble keeping the ball between the trees. Hit the range.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Some courses create the slow play by having tee times at too close an interval for the course and the type of players they attract. I'd swear the interval times are set for a two-some of low handicappers and that's not realistic when you have a course full of foursomes of varying abilities. If you have one or two pinch points, like holes that take more than 12 minutes to play, and have tee intervals at 8 minutes than that it is going to back up. When it backs all the way up to playing at the 1st hole that's a course problem. Another of my pet peeves is some of the ****** golf course design that doesn't really lend itself to play at a decent pace. The battle to distinguish one course from another during the big boom lead to, IMHO, confusion between a signature hole and a hole that was just ridiculously over difficult for the course. A signature hole can be one that is just beautiful or scenic, it doesn't have to be the #1 handicap or one where 50% of the bogey golfers are going to lose or dunk their ball.

And people should take advantage of shorter tee boxes. Best advice I got decades ago was from the starter at a course near Padre Island. "You'll enjoy this course more if you move up a tee box." So much false male pride tied up in this (I've kinda outgrown that).

Full Disclosure: This stream of conscious brought to you by a guy who hasn't golfed in several years. Torn rotator cuff. Found I don't miss golf much, yet.
I knew someone that always wanted to tee off from the championship tees. I never understood that as we weren't championship golfers.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Here's my gripe with carts.

If a single player goes to play he pays $15 or whatever for the cart. The cart is no longer available for other groups.

If a two-some plays they EACH pay $15 for the same single cart. Why is this a thing? The cart would already be out of service so the course is charging you for nothing.

If you rent a car they charge by the car, not the number of people who will be sitting in it. It pisses me off every single time.

Gotta pay the bills somehow. You can always walk.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

Suck With Pace

It’s a motto to live by.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
If you really enjoy playing golf, Top Golf doesn't quite hit the spot. It's fun, but I'll take playing 18 on a good course any day.

Generally speaking, I think issues at golf courses come from a lack of experience. I was lucky enough to learn at a young age, and etiquette was always just as important as learning to hit the ball.

If you're just learning, don't get a tee time at 1:00 on a Saturday. Hit the twilight prices on weekdays. If you're spraying the ball all over the course, it's OK to take a mulligan here and there, but not on every tee. Know when to stop looking for a lost ball. Know when to pick up your ball and head to the next hole. Drive to your cart mate's ball and drop them off. Then go find your ball, and they can catch up after they hit. You don't have to drive the cart everywhere. You don't need to walk around the green like you're playing at Augusta on Sunday. Take a look at your line, take a practice stroke, step up to the ball and hit it.

Some of it is the courses not knowing what they're doing, but there's some simple etiquette you can pick up from people who have played that makes it more enjoyable for everyone. Golf is a great sport. I'm guessing most who are complaining in this thread have a little trouble keeping the ball between the trees. Hit the range.

What part of my post made you think that the reason I like Top Golf more than real golf is because I don't know golf etiquette or have less than average skills?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
What part of my post made you think that the reason I like Top Golf more than real golf is because I don't know golf etiquette or have less than average skills?

What part of his post said you didn’t have golf etiquette or less than average skills?

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It’s been so wet down here that yesterday was my first outing. Wanted to just play a few holes to try out a new club. First hole was ok. Second hole I hit my wood for my second shot and dropped the ball on the green. Only problem was my wife heard a pop and I felt it. Looks like a torn muscle in my back. Damned golf.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It’s been so wet down here that yesterday was my first outing. Wanted to just play a few holes to try out a new club. First hole was ok. Second hole I hit my wood for my second shot and dropped the ball on the green. Only problem was my wife heard a pop and I felt it. Looks like a torn muscle in my back. Damned golf.

Rule #7: Limber Up

Sorry about your back Man.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride