Golf Sucks

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Find a small town course that's a short drive from where you are. Never busy, food and drinks are cheaper, they need golfers to survive, and with probably a dozen or more choices withing 45 minutes of DSM, the overall experience is just that much better. Slow play on a crowded course ruins any enjoyment of the game. Course etiquette used to be a thing but nobody pays attention any more.

All that being said, if play is slow ahead of you, don't be a **** about it. When teaching my boys to golf we often had to let others play through. But the only way to learn to love the game is to play it and to do that you have to be out there on the course.

Last edited:

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I've played golf for years, and most of the time the slowest players are the ones who rent carts and drive to each ball, wait for the player to hit, and then drive to the other player's ball, wait to hit, etc. Drop off a player, let that person walk after hitting, and the game moves much faster.

I almost exclusively walk (I am in my 50s), and for the past three decades I have rarely seen players driving carts play any faster than those who walk.

Most slow play really occurs on the greens. Just hit the ball. Pros take a long time to putt because they are PLAYING FOR A LIVING. Even a 15-20 handicap player can still play 18 holes in under 4 hrs if they don't search for balls too long and grip and rip.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I've played golf for years, and most of the time the slowest players are the ones who rent carts and drive to each ball, wait for the player to hit, and then drive to the other player's ball, wait to hit, etc. Drop off a player, let that person walk after hitting, and the game moves much faster.

I almost exclusively walk (I am in my 50s), and for the past three decades I have rarely seen players driving carts play any faster than those who walk.

Most slow play really occurs on the greens. Just hit the ball. Pros take a long time to putt because they are PLAYING FOR A LIVING. Even a 15-20 handicap player can still play 18 holes in under 4 hrs if they don't search for balls too long and grip and rip.

Here's my gripe with carts.

If a single player goes to play he pays $15 or whatever for the cart. The cart is no longer available for other groups.

If a two-some plays they EACH pay $15 for the same single cart. Why is this a thing? The cart would already be out of service so the course is charging you for nothing.

If you rent a car they charge by the car, not the number of people who will be sitting in it. It pisses me off every single time.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I work in Sales and I felt like I should learn to play golf to be able to go golfing with customers, etc. So, I took lessons, and started going out golfing occasionally with coworkers. Because I was a beginner, I wasn't any good. So, I was one of those guys that the OP hates - you know, because it takes a while to finish a hole when you suck. As a beginner, it is VERY frustrating to have course speed police telling you to hurry up - basically asking you to just skip ahead to the next hole. I did go to the driving range for practice, etc. but I never spent enough time to become decent. So my conclusion was that "Golf sucks" (like the title).

Last year, I started a new job, and my new boss LOVES golf. So, I'll probably be forced to try again. Last week, we were at a conference in Las Vegas and we were invited by one of the companies to TopGolf. I was planning to skip that and go to another event instead. My boss twisted my arm, so I went.

It was great - there is no issue with everyone having to play at the same speed. If you hit one really bad ball, it doesn't kill you - you can make it up if you hit a great shot the next time.

I actually think it is a much better game than "real" golf. I'm planning to go again this week.

This is false. A person can be bad at golf and still keep pace.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some people play slowly. It's annoying. Hitting into a group is awful. Don't do that even if the group ahead sucks. You never should try to hit someone. Some courses police slow play better than others.

Some courses create the slow play by having tee times at too close an interval for the course and the type of players they attract. I'd swear the interval times are set for a two-some of low handicappers and that's not realistic when you have a course full of foursomes of varying abilities. If you have one or two pinch points, like holes that take more than 12 minutes to play, and have tee intervals at 8 minutes than that it is going to back up. When it backs all the way up to playing at the 1st hole that's a course problem. Another of my pet peeves is some of the ****** golf course design that doesn't really lend itself to play at a decent pace. The battle to distinguish one course from another during the big boom lead to, IMHO, confusion between a signature hole and a hole that was just ridiculously over difficult for the course. A signature hole can be one that is just beautiful or scenic, it doesn't have to be the #1 handicap or one where 50% of the bogey golfers are going to lose or dunk their ball.

And people should take advantage of shorter tee boxes. Best advice I got decades ago was from the starter at a course near Padre Island. "You'll enjoy this course more if you move up a tee box." So much false male pride tied up in this (I've kinda outgrown that).

Full Disclosure: This stream of conscious brought to you by a guy who hasn't golfed in several years. Torn rotator cuff. Found I don't miss golf much, yet.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
C4BE0D9E-274C-4121-8F5F-012A91E7134D.jpeg.ccc57919ce151140bd3d83f1a36f2fdd.jpeg