JTS Improvements - Want More

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was brow beat for wanting the RV lot project done last time I brought it up, so I’m not going there. It was completely selfish on my part - move RVs out of D lots, more space for paved donor parking, I don’t need to increase my donation again to keep decent parking. I’m spoiled, I know. Our donation level is now 20x greater than it was when we first became donors/season ticket holders in 2003. That’s outpaced inflation, for sure. And we park one lot south of where we started. Supply is less than demand, I get it.

I’m amused that “only used 6-7 days a year”
is a common argument (which is true.) Of course I’d complete the argument as “6 or 7 days a year that provides a lot of revenue for our AD.” After media rights, football is the next largest revenue stream, right? And without football in a P5 conference, media rights are all but worthless.

But we’re so far off topic, whar updates on JTS improvements??? I’ll hang up and listen...

People need to get over trying to use ROI in regards to the athletic budget. There is so much money schools are taking on new projects just for the sake of spending the money.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
People need to get over trying to use ROI in regards to the athletic budget. There is so much money schools are taking on new projects just for the sake of spending the money.

To Bill Brasky!

I just wish ISU was in the spending just to spend position. I believe that with our position towards the bottom of P5 AD budgets, we have to be smarter and more creative with our expenditures. Which, as an ISU grad, I believe we will always be smarter than our athletic foes (even though we haven’t always been...)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was brow beat for wanting the RV lot project done last time I brought it up, so I’m not going there. It was completely selfish on my part - move RVs out of D lots, more space for paved donor parking, I don’t need to increase my donation again to keep decent parking. I’m spoiled, I know. Our donation level is now 20x greater than it was when we first became donors/season ticket holders in 2003. That’s outpaced inflation, for sure. And we park one lot south of where we started. Supply is less than demand, I get it.

I’m amused that “only used 6-7 days a year”
is a common argument (which is true.) Of course I’d complete the argument as “6 or 7 days a year that provides a lot of revenue for our AD.” After media rights, football is the next largest revenue stream, right? And without football in a P5 conference, media rights are all but worthless.

But we’re so far off topic, whar updates on JTS improvements??? I’ll hang up and listen...

RV's can get in on Friday morning. So it is 12 to 14 days per year. Big difference!

• Funny
Reactions: dunar and VeloClone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I do agree that they need to put together a plan to resurface or rebuild at least the B/C/D lots. That's going to cost a lot of money, but those lots are in total disrepair. I would love to see a plan for RVs similar to Tiger Lane in Memphis. Maybe that goes into the new G6, maybe it doesn't. I do think that if the AD offered to put some money into the new intramural complex (or pay for paving that lot), they should be able to park cars there on gameday (they park in G6 now and I'm guessing Rec Services owns it). Just from looking at the rendering, that new parking lot would be 4x one of the S lots, so that is a bunch of new parking available.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The renovated IM fields will ADD ~500 parking spots (grass) that didn't exist before, and will replace the gravel/G6 area that is being lost due to the reno with a new gravel parking area of a similar size.

The conversion of C1/C2 to donor parking has made another ~650 paved spots available.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I do agree that they need to put together a plan to resurface or rebuild at least the B/C/D lots. That's going to cost a lot of money

At least $20M, based on the last published capital plan. The question is which entities will pay for it, and how much will each entity pay.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You want stupid arguments, look at google maps, Freddie court and the western dorms are half the distance to the Towers than the IM fields off university. But somehow it takes twice as long to drive. Lincoln way must have really improved since this past fall, because before it has always been pain to get on and off on. But now its improved and will be faster. That should be great for this fall.

Lets looks at the excuses.

1. Its too far away, but not too far for IM football fields, baseball and a softball field, and would be closer to the many students that live out by the BB practice facility and the towers. But it would be too far.

2. Costs, and we need to repair what we currently have. I have never said it needed to be done now, just the possibility in the future. Yes, we need to repave what we already have. But without those lands to the east of JTS, that pushes parking further out., if and when we actually need it.

3. Special Olympics uses those fields and then the stadiums. As the father of a specials needs child, I know all about SO, and where they take those kids. They never use JTS or Hilton then walk them over to the IM fields. Never. They use one or the other, but never both on the same day. A total BS argument.

4. Distance to mow and maintain. Are they driving the mowers from the east side to the west complex. No, its a silly idea. Crews are sent to one area, when they are finished they move to another area.

5. Parking lots in cities do not make money, and have costs involved with them. This is not a public city owned parking lot, but a university owned lot that would not be maintained during the rest of the year. Put up a gate at the entrance and lock it, the rest of the year.

I do think those fields are important, necessary and everything else. But so is parking for the football games. You can not tell me that they could not have used parts of the CC course and could have achieved the same thing, that they will have now. The only difference is now with money being spent on those fields, it takes that area off the board for future parking.
So to your point just rip out the new renovated IM fields that are used year round for a lot of things, and screw everyone else.
My point Pave the new G6 lot that will be 5 times as big and the G7 lot and upgrade and move donors as needed. Without having to touch the IM fields and gaining 1000s of paved spots. Plus, adding a lot at the land owned south of the stadium as pointed out for non donors, which is a close walk, a lot closer than the Towers lots, and add a couple more shuttle rides.
Or you can continue to tell everyone else that they are stupid for saying moving the IM fields is probably never going to happen because there are too many easier alternatives. Good luck with that.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So to your point just rip out the new renovated IM fields that are used year round for a lot of things, and screw everyone else.
My point Pave the new G6 lot that will be 5 times as big and the G7 lot and upgrade and move donors as needed. Without having to touch the IM fields and gaining 1000s of paved spots. Plus, adding a lot at the land owned south of the stadium as pointed out for non donors, which is a close walk, a lot closer than the Towers lots, and add a couple more shuttle rides.
Or you can continue to tell everyone else that they are stupid for saying moving the IM fields is probably never going to happen because there are too many easier alternatives. Good luck with that.

No, my point was moving the IM fields out to the towers area, not reduce the fields, just add more parking by the stadium. Looking at the plans I do not see a paved parking lot, but a grass lot behind the IM fields, maybe I am wrong, but it looks like grass to me.

I guess I was mistaken, I didn't realize those IM fields were used for snow skiing and such during the winter, I must have missed that as I drive by them.

Look your side is right, it was a mistake for me or anyone else to be thinking about parking for the average fan or donors in the future. They have already started the earth moving. But, I will add, I do not want to read or hear about parking problems in the future, we have plenty of parking around JTS, that is the line I want to hear, and you and others defending that position.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
At 10:30 in the morning, not likely. Not one of you guys have explained why it is necessary to have the fields off univeristy. I hear a lot of excuses, but not one reason, why they could not have built those fields out by the baseball and softball fields and the intermural football fields. I would think they would have wanted them all grouped together.

This dude has never worked night shift:D. Beers for breakfast nothing wrong with that.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
At least $20M, based on the last published capital plan. The question is which entities will pay for it, and how much will each entity pay.

And I'm sure that the price is not going down year to year. Still, something has to be done there. Those lots are flat out crumbling. There needs to be a plan in place...whether it is one lot a year or multiple lots. I would probably start by increasing the cost of a parking pass to get on hard surface. $50 is a steal and non-donors are paying $20/game. I know it's a perk of being a donor, but I don't think that anyone would scoff if those passes were $100/season. They could also charge $50 for the MBB parking passes and it would still be a good deal. That extra money would make a big dent in lot upkeep/renovation.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
And I'm sure that the price is not going down year to year. Still, something has to be done there. Those lots are flat out crumbling. There needs to be a plan in place...whether it is one lot a year or multiple lots. I would probably start by increasing the cost of a parking pass to get on hard surface. $50 is a steal and non-donors are paying $20/game. I know it's a perk of being a donor, but I don't think that anyone would scoff if those passes were $100/season. They could also charge $50 for the MBB parking passes and it would still be a good deal. That extra money would make a big dent in lot upkeep/renovation.
Seems as though $200 for RVs, $100 for paved auto parking, and $50 for grass parking for donors makes sense to me if it means better conditions. I like parking in G7 simpl because it gives me more tailgating room. The paved spots seem too crowded to my wife, and she is the boss.

Does anyone remember when the lots south of Hilton were last surfaced? 1971? I have been going to games at Hilton since it opened, JTS since it opened, and was a student at ISU in the 80s. I don't remember the Hilton lots getting a new surface.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
No, my point was moving the IM fields out to the towers area, not reduce the fields, just add more parking by the stadium. Looking at the plans I do not see a paved parking lot, but a grass lot behind the IM fields, maybe I am wrong, but it looks like grass to me.

I guess I was mistaken, I didn't realize those IM fields were used for snow skiing and such during the winter, I must have missed that as I drive by them.

Look your side is right, it was a mistake for me or anyone else to be thinking about parking for the average fan or donors in the future. They have already started the earth moving. But, I will add, I do not want to read or hear about parking problems in the future, we have plenty of parking around JTS, that is the line I want to hear, and you and others defending that position.

There is going to be a small building with bathroom and some locker facilities with a paved parking lot there.

Just an FYI, between the intramural fields, Hilton repaving, and 85E expanding, ISU has/ will have added over 1,000 parking spots in that area.

• Funny
Reactions: STLISU

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There is going to be a small building with bathroom and some locker facilities with a paved parking lot there.

Just an FYI, between the intramural fields, Hilton repaving, and 85E expanding, ISU has/ will have added over 1,000 parking spots in that area.

Just curious but how will the Hilton repaving add parking spots?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Last time I checked, 85E was closed. Maybe it will reopen before the season. Not sure when it was "expanded."

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

I never said those areas were paved, I said they could pave them to add 1000s of paved spaces without moving the IM fields. The new paved area will be bigger but, there are optional areas that could be paved as well. Plus add additional parking in the land south of the stadium. Without moving the fields. Plus many other options to improve and expand the current parking system without moving the IM fields.
The point is It is very doubtful that those fields ever go anywhere, there are too many other options to expand and enhance parking around the stadium for them to ever need to move them.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Frak and VeloClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron