3-Point Line Moved Back

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Big fan of this:
In the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.

Never understood why goaltending couldn't be reviewed as it obviously can have a big impact on the game.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
My first guess would be more butt-ugly games.

Should open the lane just a little more. Defenders have to move out farther to guard the offense. Not as easy for help defense.

Im sure we will have the ugly tall white guy draining 3s on us still, like in the past.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Big fan of this:
In the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.

Never understood why goaltending couldn't be reviewed as it obviously can have a big impact on the game.

The way I read this is that they can review it if they call goal tending but not if they don't. Will lead to anything close being called and then reviewed.

• Agree
Reactions: moores2

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My first guess would be more butt-ugly games.

Eh, maybe some of that early on as some players realize that the new line is just outside of their range. It's going to put more pressure on the defense if a team has a couple of snipers because now there's just more area to cover. And it maybe increases the value of having a good rim protector with the offense now likely having more room to get into the paint.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Eh, maybe some of that early on as some players realize that the new line is just outside of their range. It's going to put more pressure on the defense if a team has a couple of snipers because now there's just more area to cover. And it maybe increases the value of having a good rim protector with the offense now likely having more room to get into the paint.

Not sure if this will be the case. If you had players that could shoot from that distance last year you still had to guard them that far out regardless of where the line was. Plenty of shots have been going up from well behind the line already.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I really wouldn’t be opposed to them moving it back to the NBA distance (assuming it’s not the same as international). So many players shoot from that range anyway trying to create separation from defenders guarding the line anyway.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This rule only helps ISU, its going to make the college game better to watch IMO. People hate on the NBA but any way we can make cbb offense more like the offense you see in the NBA the better.

Be warned though, we're going to see tons of threads about why so and so is shooting long 2's. Those shots will be more and more common. Every NBA guard has it in the arsenal. That's a big reason we saw guys like LW and Shayok putting that shot up consistently, its a necessity for an NBA guard.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Question: How was 3-point distance for international rules set at 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches -- vs. a rounded-down distance of 22 feet? I assume statistical calculation was involved, but I'm curious how they make the determination of appropriate dividing point.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Also, this:

Shot clock reset

The panel also approved resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court.

The change is being made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided a full 30-second shot clock is not needed because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound.

This was an experimental rule in the 2019 NIT, as well.