Android or iPhone?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree,....wrong.

I have several audiophile wired ear phones. My Google 3, with a DAC, provides awesome audio that doesn't get chopped and diced like a MP3 being flattenedd through a Bluetooth signal.

Drop the wire INSIDE your shirt and it disappears! With CD quality sound, not the roadkill flat of wireless.
I use my headphone for calls throughout the day since my phone is my desk many days. It is bad enough to have to find an opportunity to charge the phone once in a while when I have had it working really hard - often it is plugging it into an external battery while still using it. I don't want to have to try to charge the headphones and other peripherals as well. Wireless is great, but I want to have the option to plug in as well.

Does a 3.5mm jack really take up that much space? It isn't like it is causing the screens to not be as big as the body of the phone anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Someone told me once that Apple is a lifestyle company, not a tech company, and it made so much sense to me

They don't really ever do anything innovative, but certainly have created a very nice line of products that all integrate well (if everything you own is Apple)

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Does a 3.5mm jack really take up that much space? It isn't like it is causing the screens to not be as big as the body of the phone anyway.
Allows for a larger battery space claim, which is vital these days while wired headphones are not.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Someone told me once that Apple is a lifestyle company, not a tech company, and it made so much sense to me

They don't really ever do anything innovative, but certainly have created a very nice line of products that all integrate well (if everything you own is Apple)

That's the correct take. Wait for the launch of the next iPhone, they'll proclaim how innovative and great that it can do "X" (where doing "X" has been available to Android phones for like a year). A die-hard iPhone guy told me this.

I like the widgets that Android provides, as well as not keeping every app on the screen (and alphabetizing them in the app list!).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Allows for a larger battery space claim, which is vital these days while wired headphones are not.
For all of the talk about improved battery life, I fail to see the proof in the pudding. No matter what phone I get the battery life still is a crap shoot whether it will make it through the day. Granted, I use the phone a lot in my job.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Can't be much help. Still clinging to my Bible, guns (not), and Nokia Windows phone. Need to switch to my wife's (not-so-) old android, but get kinda sick to my stomach when I think about it.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
For all of the talk about improved battery life, I fail to see the proof in the pudding. No matter what phone I get the battery life still is a crap shoot whether it will make it through the day. Granted, I use the phone a lot in my job.
The improved battery life only applies if you don't ever use your phone, hence the "Up to"

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
You can't go wrong with either. Android and iOS are both great operating systems. I prefer using Android on phones and iOS on tablets. And Windows on a computer. It's all personal preference. I feel like Android is more versatile with the things I want to do so I go that route.

Agree with what a previous poster said, after Steve Jobs passed, I feel like Apple hasn't done any big risks or innovations. I used to be all Apple but now all I use from them is an iPad just for casual tasks like watching movies, playing games and surfing CF.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
I use my headphone for calls throughout the day since my phone is my desk many days. It is bad enough to have to find an opportunity to charge the phone once in a while when I have had it working really hard - often it is plugging it into an external battery while still using it. I don't want to have to try to charge the headphones and other peripherals as well. Wireless is great, but I want to have the option to plug in as well.

The USB-C jack allows for the near waterproofing of the phone. I have bought 3.5 to C dongles to keep with the ear phones. No need to charge anything but the phone. Easy.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm a staunch Android guy and would never switch to Apple. But it's really a matter of personal preference.

You need to figure out if you like iOS. If someone hands me an iPhone it just as well be in iChinese. You also need to figure out which apps you consider essential and whether they on on iPhone. Or have an equivalent app at least. There's a lot of apps on my Android phone that don't have Apple equivalents that I'd really miss.

I'll plug the Samsung S10. I've had 5 or 6 Android phones now and the S10 is easily my favorite one.

• Agree
Reactions: Bobber

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

Quick question - was this someone a moron?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I'm a staunch Android guy and would never switch to Apple. But it's really a matter of personal preference.

You need to figure out if you like iOS. If someone hands me an iPhone it just as well be in iChinese. You also need to figure out which apps you consider essential and whether they on on iPhone. Or have an equivalent app at least. There's a lot of apps on my Android phone that don't have Apple equivalents that I'd really miss.

I'll plug the Samsung S10. I've had 5 or 6 Android phones now and the S10 is easily my favorite one.
Just curious which ones you are talking about.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Just curious which ones you are talking about.

The biggest one I use now is Tasker. Back in the day, I had some home automation apps that were Android only, but I don't use them anymore anyways. And a handful of widgets, which Apple doesn't support either.

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
I have an extensive familiarity with Android. I have dabbled in flashing custom "ROMs" for all sorts of Android devices. A custom "ROM" is basically an entirely new operating system, kind of like replacing Windows on your PC with a flavor of Linux. There is no question that Android is a superior OS to iOS. That said, I don't trust Android as a cell phone OS. It is built from the ground-up to not have your privacy in mind. Also, the Play store is a hot mess, and the way each phone or tablet is totally different hardware-wise means that if a critical flaw is discovered in Android, your chances of getting a fix are nil if your phone is more than 3 years old (unless you use a custom ROM, but then you are at the mercy of all sorts of other bugs).

I use an iPhone and am perfectly happy with it.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I got a Google Pixel 3 last fall and just got my wife the 3a. The camera competes w all the other iPhones at family picture events.

The 3a is now just $299 at Best Buy (new or upgrade, most carriers), and has the same very good camera as the 3, and the 'plain Android' UI is quite slick after a week of adapting to the app flipping...plus will get like 3 years of guaranteed OS updates. The 3a brought back the 3.5mm jack if you don't want to lose that.

Prior I was pro HTC for numerous phones since I didn't care for Samsung UI and was a way to "support independent Taiwan and to boycott China" or something before the mainland CCP eventually takes them over...but HTC phones are fading away though they're somehow involved/owned by Google pixel now...in case all that adds a point in favor.
https://9to5google.com/2019/05/09/google-pixel-3a-news-tidbits/amp/

• Winner
Reactions: SkolCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron