Pollard pointing out the obvious

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Listen, I'm not trading any of the coaches but we should probably start beating them in a majority of the noted sports. Wrestling has been a disaster until recently and we aren't exactly on a winning streak against the Hawks. I appreciate the sentiment here, but we're not the bear right now and I don't blame anyone for mocking the notion that we are.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm agreeing with the experts at 247 and CBS

Ok that’s fine. Let’s switch to wrestling then, How is Dresser better than Brands ?

Brands finish at NCAA

Dresser finish at NCAA

To me this is Twins trying to reshape the argument. Pollard's quote isn't isolated to coaches. It's talking about programs. So while you can say Dresser and Campbell are better coaches, that is a much different argument than saying our football and wrestling programs have surpassed Iowa's. Have we shortened the gap considerably? Yes. But to suggest we've surpassed them-- I don't know about that.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Messi and RedBayou

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't necessarily agree that we're "the bear" at this moment but what we do have is a lot of hype and potential to be "the bear". The current direction of multiple sports at Iowa State is trending fast in the right direction and I think a lot of Iowa Hawkeye fans are scared of that, whether they're able to admit it or not. We have great coaches in almost every single sport, and we're starting to recruit very well in them. In football particularly, we've won some games against Iowa where we probably were not the better team and then did mediocre after that and most Iowa fans were able to brush it off, thinking that game was our "superbowl". When we beat them, are knowingly the better team, and finish the season strong, Iowa fans are not going to be able to say much. It shows when the past two off season, threads and twitter are filled with their fans wishing and hoping Campbell takes another job.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Pollard has only now hired good coaches. He whiffed on a lot of hires. A lot of ADs don't get the chance to make that many mistakes before being fired. He has done well to hire Hoiberg, Campbell and Dresser.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Our bear claw now:

extreme-close-up-of-grizzly-bear-claw-BX57H5.jpg

Their bear claw then:

upload_2019-5-24_12-34-41.jpeg

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
To me this is Twins trying to reshape the argument. Pollard's quote isn't isolated to coaches. It's talking about programs. So while you can say Dresser and Campbell are better coaches, that is a much different argument than saying our football and wrestling programs have surpassed Iowa's. Have we shortened the gap considerably? Yes. But to suggest we've surpassed them-- I don't know about that.

I think Pollard is thinking much broader and longer-term than the current state of the athletics programs. Pollard has the benefit of seeing that when he took the job almost everybody in the state of Iowa could be classified as: 1. ISU alum, 2. ISU students and 3. Hawk fans. Not to mention there were plenty of ISU students and alumni that were Hawk fans.

Iowa fans still make up a majority of fans in the state, but with ISU's enrollment advantage overall, massive enrollment advantage to in-state students (who are far and away the most likely to settle in the state), advantage in the basketball program and tons of momentum in football, the landscape has changed dramatically.

Pretty brash statement, but that's JP.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
CyTwins goal everyday is to troll the 4 hawk fans on this board

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pollard has only now hired good coaches. He whiffed on a lot of hires. A lot of ADs don't get the chance to make that many mistakes before being fired. He has done well to hire Hoiberg, Campbell and Dresser.
Prohm not on that list?

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Oh little bro. That Kujawa fan used to post on here as Crash Davis until he got banned because he was adamant the Big 12 was going to collapse. Lol perfect example of an Iowa fan and their obsession about the storm brewing over here
Agreed. Kujo or whatever the hell he calls himself is a classic Hok douchebag, who needs to be swatted away like the hokroach he is. And what the hell is a kujawa anyway?

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I wouldn't put him in that category. He has been OK considering what he was given.
I mean he has the same amount of Sweet 16 appearances and Big 12 Tournament titles as Fred did, and has brought in highly talented recruiting classes. I would say he's picked up pretty dang nicely where Fred left off.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
A little advice for the game against ToE in September from Colonel Troutman.
happy-birthday-and-dont-forget-one-thing-a-good-supply-of-body-bags.jpg

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have to say - this is very true. Pollard is good at many things, but he is also fortunate he is at ISU; we have a fan base stays with programs even if they're losing.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

You can't even begin to compare the financials from when JP started to when Prohm and Campbell were hired . It's not that cut and dry. On paper both the Chiz and McDoormat were outstanding hires and JP went out and got guys that Iowa State could afford.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CyTwins goal everyday is to troll the 4 hawk fans on this board

Which in turn fills threads with the same stupid back-and-forth. Who is trolling whom? I wish we all would just put the Hoktrolls on our Ignore lists.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron