jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Buxton looks really, really comfortable at the plate now. The projections that he'd top out at a 260-280 average with about 20 HRs and be the best defensive player in baseball might fall short on all counts.

Seattle hit a HR last night to CF that landed about 10 feet beyond the wall. As Buxton was running it down and you could see the ball was clearly out of the park, I still thought that he might have a chance to reign that sucker in. His defense is so unreal. He's like the Chuck Norris of center fielders.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Don't know if Pineda is going to get it together or not, but having Sano back in the line-up adds another (potentially) potent bat to an already fairly scary line-up.
Looks like they are going to start giving
bullpen auditions for some of these Rochester guys, too.

It would be great if Sano can replace Cruz's production until his wrist injury heals. Castro will be fine at catcher until Garver is off the IR. Hopefully Mitch will come back where he left off.
Feel bad they sent Hildenberger down, but he really fell off after his fast start. Too many hanging off speed balls.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Looks like Sano took the time off and put it to good use. There's still no good place to hide him defensively, but you definitely want his bat in the lineup.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Everytime the Twins win, I pinch myself to make sure it is not a dream. Been fun so far.

I know! I check this morning to see if they won last night... I brace myself...then holy crap we win!

Right now, the Twins and Astros are the best two in the AL. The nice thing is we've already won the season series against them 4-3. Some people are ragging on the Twins schedule so far being easy, but the Twins have played Cleveland, @NYY, and the Astros twice.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
They have an interesting 10 game road trip coming up at the end of the month against Tampa, Cleveland and Detroit. I'd love to keep the ball rolling through that stretch. We don't need any more injuries with how everything is gelling currently.

We have to face Boston a couple times yet. It would have been nice catching them while they were struggling.

We still have 13 games against Cleveland with 9 of them being on the road. If we finish above .500 against them, I'll feel good about the division. But there is a lot of baseball left, and I'm just gonna enjoy the ride right now. Keep winning series and it all will sort itself out.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's still early, but the Twins are solidifying their spot as one of this year's top teams. Their offense (especially power) and defensive play is legit.
Now we wait to see if they can add pitching at the trade deadline.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's still early, but the Twins are solidifying their spot as one of this year's top teams. Their offense (especially power) and defensive play is legit.
Now we wait to see if they can add pitching at the trade deadline.

6.5 games up in the division. Not a bad place to be towards the end of May.

Good comeback last night.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Will be fun having the Twins being buyers instead of sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

Possible All-Stars: Berrios, Odorizzi, Polanco (a shoo-in), Rosario. Garver a long shot. Any others?

Reactions: riceville98

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Another series, another sweep today boys??????

source.gif

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Will be fun having the Twins being buyers instead of sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

Possible All-Stars: Berrios, Odorizzi, Polanco (a shoo-in), Rosario. Garver a long shot. Any others?
Buxton makes a couple of those plays that only he can make and I could see him sneaking in there as a coaches decision on defense alone now that his bat isn't a liability anymore.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Martin Perez has a top 10 ERA, 1.0 WAR and is 6-1. His SO/BB isn't as good as Berrios, but he's been really good for us.

It's a beautiful thing having three SPs in the top 10 in the AL for wins.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy and CTTB78

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Buxton makes a couple of those plays that only he can make and I could see him sneaking in there as a coaches decision on defense alone now that his bat isn't a liability anymore.

Some of the advanced analysis suggests Buxton has had some bad luck so far this year. He's producing fairly well, with a lot of signs pointing to that improving.

The power numbers the Twins are putting up are ridiculous, especially when you consider playing at Target. It will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline. Lewis and Kirilloff are off the table but probably about any other prospect is fair game. I'm curious to see what a rental on Baumgartner goes for this year.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Martin Perez has a top 10 ERA, 1.0 WAR and is 6-1. His SO/BB isn't as good as Berrios, but he's been really good for us.

It's a beautiful thing having three SPs in the top 10 in the AL for wins.

Yeah, I forgot about Perez. That would be epic - having 3 Twins pitchers on one All-Star team. This team has always been about hitting (for the most part, anyway), so these guys are very refreshing.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Twins also have 16 home runs contributed from the catching position (not sure if Astudillo has hit any while catching, so it might be even higher).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Some of the advanced analysis suggests Buxton has had some bad luck so far this year. He's producing fairly well, with a lot of signs pointing to that improving.

The power numbers the Twins are putting up are ridiculous, especially when you consider playing at Target. It will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline. Lewis and Kirilloff are off the table but probably about any other prospect is fair game. I'm curious to see what a rental on Baumgartner goes for this year.
I understand the conversation around him but I am of the firm belief we need to stay the hell away from Baumgartner. The risk/reward there is too great and we would have to give up too much.

• Agree

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I understand the conversation around him but I am of the firm belief we need to stay the hell away from Baumgartner. The risk/reward there is too great and we would have to give up too much.

Agree. Saw one writer suggesting the Twins giving up two top minor leaguers along with Sano for Baumgartner. Too steep, IMO. I'd rather see them go after a stud middle reliever or closer.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I know! I check this morning to see if they won last night... I brace myself...then holy crap we win!

Right now, the Twins and Astros are the best two in the AL. The nice thing is we've already won the season series against them 4-3. Some people are ragging on the Twins schedule so far being easy, but the Twins have played Cleveland, @NYY, and the Astros twice.

People who rag on the Twins because they play in an easy division aren't paying attention. The Twins have played more games against the west (16) and east (16) divisions so far than against the central (11). And speaking of weak divisions, the West isn't exactly a murderer's row either (only one team above .500 and one other right at .500), but you never hear complaints about the Astros' weak schedule.

• Agree
Reactions: DRCHIRO and CTTB78

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agree it is probably a bad idea. I thought maybe if the price is surprisingly low, but with his postseason history you know somebody is going to give up a lot of assets. Even if it works out it's going to cost them wins in the future. The Twins are not really in a good position to absorb those types of deals very well. Definitely would like to see some bullpen help with somebody that might possibly stick around next year or beyond.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and CTTB78

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
People who rag on the Twins because they play in an easy division aren't paying attention. The Twins have played more games against the west (16) and east (16) divisions so far than against the central (11). And speaking of weak divisions, the West isn't exactly a murderer's row either (only one team above .500 and one other right at .500), but you never hear complaints about the Astros' weak schedule.

Excellent post. The Twins are playing well regardless of who they face. They look great so far and I don't see them falling off anytime soon, so long as they stay healthy.

• Agree