Shaka Smart interviewing Michigan Assistant Coach Yaklich

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-...wing-michigan-assistant-luke-yaklich-opening/

Texas coach Shaka Smart spent Thursday talking with Michigan assistant Luke Yaklich about filling the Longhorns’ current opening on the men’s basketball staff, two sources familiar with the interview said.

Yaklich, known as Michigan’s top defensive assistant on former coach John Beilein’s staff, could not be reached Thursday.

The opening on Smart’s staff was created when Darrin Horn left to become a head coach at Northern Kentucky.

(From Michigan message board):
https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/shaka-smart-interviewing-luke-yaklich-opening

"Game of Horns?"

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
According to the Michigan boards Yak was the one who amped up their defense. Supposedly Shaka was the defense wizkid when he went to UT. If I was Yak I'd see how the whole Michigan thing shakes out. Unless Shake starts to win his days at Tx are numbered.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Honestly, the Longhorn defense hasn't been too bad...the offense...woof.
They've had an amazing amount of talent there too, what a terrible coaching job he has done there.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
This coaching search will be over by Friday and the Providence coach or Juwan Howard will have a new job it sounds like.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Still think they should go with Yaklich. Or at the very least, Howard should retain him and give him a raise.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Still think they should go with Yaklich. Or at the very least, Howard should retain him and give him a raise.

Unless Yaklich isn't on-board with the HC choice, I'd be shocked if he isn't retained -- and as you suggest, compensation most likely attached, to prohibit another school luring him with $. Since Howard's coaching experience is entirely as an assistant, one would think he has a grasp of coaching-staff value.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron