Rasir Bolton Visiting

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Efficient offense. Top 11 offense in 3/4 years. One thing I noticed in KC is our spacing on offense. It's something we hear the announcers talk about, but it's different when you see it live. We take advantage of the entire court and let our guards do all of the heavy lifting. I admit it's not my favorite style of play, but it's what we do. I enjoyed the spacing/set plays/inside out game of Hoiberg, but Prohm has shown that this style can showcase guards/creators.

Yeah I'm not saying ISU doesn't do some things well under Prohm. There's just times when I can't watch a game and really get what ISU is trying to do as a whole. Much of that could easily be lack of buy-in from players and something I'm confident in next season is the returners bring that.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Yeah I'm not saying ISU doesn't do some things well under Prohm. There's just times when I can't watch a game and really get what ISU is trying to do as a whole. Much of that could easily be lack of buy-in from players and something I'm confident in next season is the returners bring that.

They are trying to win the game. Typically with really good offense, but if its a grinder of a game, by playing good defense. But more so than anything, they are trying to win the game.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think you are over thinking it.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I've always thought the identity topic was overrated, especially with Prohm's teams. Great teams are able to play a few different ways and aren't going to let a team with a different style beat them just because they play a different style. Plus, even though an identity of great, fast offense isn't obvious, Prohm's teams have had great offenses, without playing as up-tempo. As someone else said, three of Prohm's four teams have been top 15 offenses on Kenpom, I'd say that's an identity.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm perplexed why Campbell is (rightly) praised for adjusting what they are doing both on offense and defense based on the personnel he has available (finding a way to get his best 11 on the field) yet people pan Prohm because they claim he doesn't have an identity. Getting the best players he can and tweaking the style of play to maximize their performance seems like a smart way to be successful.

I often have a lot of respect for small to mid sized high schools' coaches who are successful over time because they don't have control over the players they get. They have to adjust what they do to fit the hand they are dealt. My high school football coach was terrible at this. We had a kid just a few years behind me who was a big kid - fast and powerful - playing QB. The coach wanted him to be a drop back passer because that is the offense he ran, yet this kid would have thrived passing occasionally out of more of an option and power attack. But bad coach is stuck in his ways. The coach even had a couple of series of plays in his playbook that would have fit the bill but he rarely used them and relied on his comfort zone instead of getting his QB into the QB's comfort zone.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I always feel we have a good shot with good players from lesser teams from power conferences. Being a non blue blood but being able to complete with and beat the privileged schools in our conference has a lure to guys that feel out manned is their current situation.

The small school guys want the biggest name second time around. Hopefully Tucker is the exception because as far back as the JO era guys like him have thrived in Ames.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm perplexed why Campbell is (rightly) praised for adjusting what they are doing both on offense and defense based on the personnel he has available (finding a way to get his best 11 on the field) yet people pan Prohm because they claim he doesn't have an identity.....

Main difference is that Campbell is taking us to places we have not been since the late '70s. We've had recent success in basketball and Prohm is still dealing with the ever fading shadow of the golden one.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm perplexed why Campbell is (rightly) praised for adjusting what they are doing both on offense and defense based on the personnel he has available (finding a way to get his best 11 on the field) yet people pan Prohm because they claim he doesn't have an identity. Getting the best players he can and tweaking the style of play to maximize their performance seems like a smart way to be successful.

I often have a lot of respect for small to mid sized high schools' coaches who are successful over time because they don't have control over the players they get. They have to adjust what they do to fit the hand they are dealt. My high school football coach was terrible at this. We had a kid just a few years behind me who was a big kid - fast and powerful - playing QB. The coach wanted him to be a drop back passer because that is the offense he ran, yet this kid would have thrived passing occasionally out of more of an option and power attack. But bad coach is stuck in his ways. The coach even had a couple of series of plays in his playbook that would have fit the bill but he rarely used them and relied on his comfort zone instead of getting his QB into the QB's comfort zone.
This is exactly Campbell said in a podcast with Williams.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

I think we've been watching great offense for long enough that it's become common place.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Classic case of the mindset that we are in complete control of every situation and dictate everything that happens in a game based on our own will.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone