Ames Menards set to open spring 2019

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I worked at the Clive Menards for about a year in 2015 to get extra wedding money (so 75% of my pay went to purchases at the store, now wife didn't really keep track, so no harm). I agree they have plenty of employees who don't know much (if anything) about other departments, but you gotta remember they need a lot more employees than your local True Value, too. They pay decent, think it was something like $11.50/hour & a boost to $13/hour for weekends.

Seemed the majority of customers were the type who knew what they needed, but not all. 11% weekends were very busy, especially when there were additional big sales on top. I worked in Cabinets & Appliances, so plenty of people who'd wait for 11% to drop $4k on appliances or $10k on cabinets. I wonder what percentage of those actually get used.

Adding another store in Grimes right down the road does kind of surprise me, but Clive is a top performer like someone mentioned. Kind of crazy to think the DSM Metro can support so many big box hardware stores. Will the new one make 10 total between Menards/Lowe's/HD? (Including Ankeny & WDSM)

When it comes to rebates, I think the statistic is that only 20% of people actually do the paperwork to get the rebate. So 80% of the people who go shopping for the 11% discount and need to get a rebate, never actually do it. Menards, being as cheap as they are, probably stick to rebates because it drives more sales, without actually having to take a hit of profitability.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
When it comes to rebates, I think the statistic is that only 20% of people actually do the paperwork to get the rebate. So 80% of the people who go shopping for the 11% discount and need to get a rebate, never actually do it. Menards, being as cheap as they are, probably stick to rebates because it drives more sales, without actually having to take a hit of profitability.

Doesn't surprise me. I wonder when they started that, pretty brilliant really.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Best deal ever was the one time a few years back when they included gift cards in the 11% rebate. Then you later spend it during another 11% event, and are effectively getting 22% off merchandise! Only thing is I wish I would've stocked up more on the gift cards, 'cause I've never seen that offer since.

(Yes, I know the rebate just amounts to "store credit", but I'm gonna spend the $$ there anyway...)

They do that all the time.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And it’s not really a rebate it’s more of a “store credit.”
That 11% is really only costing them 6% most likely because of product markup.

Don’t get me wrong, I do the 11% weekends frequently, I’m just surprised they can get away with the term rebate.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wasn’t sure if they were running any opening week deals or anything. No need to be snarky.
I like how you think I’m being snarky but you left out the objective to your question.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron