COLUMN: Butler's drop/landing spot, Beard's contract, Campbell's hometown & more

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good read. I think Butler is a little different from most tall receivers in that he's more athletic (as you said) and he can work out of the slot. He's not a stiff like the big dude that played for the Panthers and Bills for a few years...I forget his name now. There aren't many slot corners or nickel DBs around the league who can handle a guy that big. He could have a huge impact working the middle of the field against 5'9 and 5'10 corners.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Good read. I think Butler is a little different from most tall receivers in that he's more athletic (as you said) and he can work out of the slot. He's not a stiff like the big dude that played for the Panthers and Bills for a few years...I forget his name now. There aren't many slot corners or nickel DBs around the league who can handle a guy that big. He could have a huge impact working the middle of the field against 5'9 and 5'10 corners.

Completely agree as long as catching ability improves. If not, they will put a sure handed guy running thru the middle.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Thinking about Beard's contract, the pressure on him just jumped 10 fold. If Tech is not S16 every 3 out of 5 years, then it looks like a bad contract. Even so, you got to be happy as a tech fan.

Say tech fizzles and doesn't do much more than some tourney appearances in the next 5 years, they going to pay their next coach a measly 2 million? College sports are crazy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In my simple mind, it seems like 1st Rounders are usually picked because of exceptional skill with expectations that they can step right in and play. Other Rounders are picked because of potential that may still need to be developed. Perhaps Butler was viewed as someone who has already max'd his potential. And I doubt if he is going to throw NFL DB's around like he did in college.

Personally, I hope Butler is the guy who reverses the trend and moves the NFL back toward big, tall, strong receivers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron