Game of Thrones Season 8

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think one MAJOR character dying would have made the episode beyond epic, but I think it sets up the upcoming episodes to have a chance to be even better. Otherwise, I think the remaining ones would have a chance to be anticlimactic.

I can't imagine being disappointed overall, as the writers are never going to make everyone happy, and their main job is to make you care about the story and its characters, and they've succeeded in this beyond most stories we've ever seen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I just don't know. The battle scenes were cool and it was sort of fun to watch but I just kept expecting someone to have come up with an idea that gave the humans a chance in the fight. Perhaps the whole idea is that they had no chance but I was incredibly irritated by Dany and Jon all night as they had the only weapons that gave them a semblance of a chance and they were MIA for most of the battle. Arya killing the Night King was the only chance anyone had because of the incompetence of Jon. Again, that's probably the entire point behind the episode, but I just wanted a little more cleverness than Red starting a couple fires, one of which was much less effective than we thought it'd be.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Sending the Dothraki out by themselves seemed like an odd strategy.
Yeah...I watch a medieval warfare podcast and it occasionally critiques GOT from time to time. Biggest gripe is they don’t value armor enough...

I’m thinking they’ll be critical of using light cavalry as the initial charge...at night no less. Would have been better to keep them in the wings until the army of the dead made contact with the unsullied.

I’m thinking either way the Dothraki were F’d in this battle.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
You can think Dany for that IMO. When she saw her Dothraki riders get wiped out she get impatience and took off on Drogon. Jon was telling her to stick to the plan and she didn't.
It was obvious their original plan wasn't working when the Dothraki were wiped out in less than 5 minutes. I don't think they had a choice other than use the dragons. I think their plan was to use the dragons as a last resort to not risk them being killed by the knight king. I don't really see how Dany using the dragons "disrupted" the plan. They weren't going to have a chance without them.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I just don't know. The battle scenes were cool and it was sort of fun to watch but I just kept expecting someone to have come up with an idea that gave the humans a chance in the fight. Perhaps the whole idea is that they had no chance but I was incredibly irritated by Dany and Jon all night as they had the only weapons that gave them a semblance of a chance and they were MIA for most of the battle. Arya killing the Night King was the only chance anyone had because of the incompetence of Jon. Again, that's probably the entire point behind the episode, but I just wanted a little more cleverness than Red starting a couple fires, one of which was much less effective than we thought it'd be.
Jon and Dany were killing wigths with the dragons and fighting the knight king pretty much the whole episode.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
That was some of the best tv Ive seen. Arya the king slayer. Seems like the Golden company will need to change loyalty and bring those elephants to Kings Landing. Unless there’s another power player that Im forgetting, like maybe the Second Sons showing up.

That was obviously a Jon/Dany battle plan, Good thing they kept Tyrion safe so someone with a brain can plan the next battle. It would have been more fitting if the Dothraki were all killed, risen as WW and charged back at Winterfell for the NK.

Hot take: Brann is the worst part of the show. I was hoping the NK would finish him off. He’s off flying around in ravens, couldnt he at least take over someone or thing and join the fight? No, because he’s a douche.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Jon and Dany were killing wigths with the dragons and fighting the knight king pretty much the whole episode.

They were nowhere to be found a lot of the time. She missed/couldn't see the sign to light the trenches, they did almost nothing when the wights were approaching and if it weren't for Red, it would have been over as soon as it had begun. Also, neither of them were there when he was approaching Bran. They didn't do any of the things you would expect them to have made sure they got done. Jon just stood there and looked at the NK when he was raising all the dead.

Obviously if they do everything perfect there isn't much of a show to be had and maybe making Jon look like a complete imbecile is the point, but their actions didn't match the lead up to me.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
They were nowhere to be found a lot of the time. She missed/couldn't see the sign to light the trenches, they did almost nothing when the wights were approaching and if it weren't for Red, it would have been over as soon as it had begun. Also, neither of them were there when he was approaching Bran. They didn't do any of the things you would expect them to have made sure they got done. Jon just stood there and looked at the NK when he was raising all the dead.

Obviously if they do everything perfect there isn't much of a show to be had and maybe making Jon look like a complete imbecile is the point, but their actions didn't match the lead up to me.

Jon was trying to get there but had a dragon in his way. Dany was busy being saved by Jorah. It wasn't like they were doing nothing.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sansa was never going to kill her zombie mom, as Catelyn was thrown into the Trident River after the Red Wedding, presumably never to be seen again (at least not in the TV series). And it’s unclear as to whether Ned’s remains ever made it back to Winterfell after Joeffey had him executed. We know the Lannisters attempted to send them back as a quasi peace offering, but nobody knows whether they actually made it there, so while Ned has a statue in the crypt, it’s unclear whether his remains were ever buried under it. Ergo, Sansa’s encountering zombie mommy and daddy was never going to happen.

But Ned did send Lady’s remains back to Winterfell and in a perfect world she has to kill the reanimated corpse of her direwolf

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Jon was running toward the knight king, just didn't make it in time. He spend almost the entire episode trying to kill the knight king.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I understand what you’re trying to say, but with the sheer numbers the living were facing, they had a grand total of one chance - take out the Night King. And as far as having the only weapons that gave them the chance (I assume you’re talking about the dragons), they were proven ineffective against the Night King. And while the dragons helped cull the numbers of the dead army, there’s just far too many to prevent them from eventually swarming Winterfell. I think you’re also giving Jon far too much blame for Dany’s mistakes. She’s the one that threw the plan out the window when the Dothraki were taken out, Jon was trying to get her to stick to the plan, and when she threw out the plan his focus shifted on keeping her alive. And as far as Melisandre, what exactly did you expect from her? She’s a 1000-year old woman who is only good at setting fires and telling prophecy (and those aren’t mutually exclusive). The fact that we got a pep talk out of her that motivated Arya to kill the Night King was an added bonus.

One of the things that helps me find context in these episodes is if you watch the directors’ Inside the Episode videos.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
But Ned did send Lady’s remains back to Winterfell and in a perfect world she has to kill the reanimated corpse of her direwolf

I’ll admit that would have been something to see. But considering we can only get ghost in cameo shots at this point, that’s probably asking too much.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

they in the episode 4 preview

I must admit, the dragons are pretty much indistinguishable to me. That preview never shows two dragons at once. So you're saying the couple of shots of the dragon is actually the two remaining living dragons?

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
That episode 4 preview makes it appear that the North has really bought into Dany now. Maybe not as much tension between her and Jon? I was also glad to see some unsullied troops marching into Winterfell. I thought all of Dany's troop may have been toast.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
I mean, have you even been paying attention to the story at all over the last 8 seasons, or are you posting because you like the way the letters you’re typing look without giving any actual thought to what you’re actually typing?

brother, ur this close to getting a block. pls appolgize or you will join the rest of them.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I enjoyed the episode, however was also underwhelmed. The action scenes, the pacing, the music, the characters' emotions, etc, were great. Props to the people predicting the dead Starks arising.

Like others, I thought the battle plan was really foolish. I was expecting more from the Night King other than what happened. I wanted to find out if he made it to King's Landing, was Bran, or did more with Bran, or had some other purpose other than a big bad monster. I liked Arya killing the Night King, however, that goes against the build up of Jon or Dany being the ones to be the hero/Azor Ahai that both the show and books built up.