Friday OT #1 - You're Just a Turd Out There

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I leave a number of voice mails daily and I feel like I have it down to a science.

"Hi, this is Coolerifyoudid from X Company. My phone number is 555 (slight pause) 555 5555. <insert reason I'm calling> Again, my phone number is 555 555 5555. Thank you"

I always say my number at the beginning and the end.

I leave (and receive) quite a few VMs too, and try to do something like you describe. Name, company name, contact number, all at a non-hurried pace; then, brief description of the call's purpose.

It took me some practice to develop that framework — i used to be chicken-with-head-cut-off when leaving messages.

Reactions: Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We just brought on a new partner which changed the name of our office. The old name rolled off the tongue very easily. The new name does not. So every time I say on the phone that "my name is so-and-so from _____________" it sounds like I have a stroke midway through the sentence.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I had to leave a company a voicemail this morning, and had the same problem that I always do - I start off strong and organized, I think of a bunch of extra information that I feel like I need to add in, and then it devolves into this mess of word vomit through which someone has to sort. Voicemail is my kryptonite, I'm just terrible at it.

Are there every day activities that you have to do on occasion and are just the worst at it, no matter how you try and prepare in advance?

I feel like I'm the worst voicemail message leaver of all time. I can sympathize.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

stinkbaitcatfish

Aug 13, 2018
Huntington Beach , CA
There are times where text is more efficient, and times where calling is, and I get annoyed when people don't know the difference.

Having an extended conversation via text message is a ******* beating. By the same token, if you have something to communicate that can be done via single text, don't call.

Basically, if you can say something in one text, text. If it will take multiple texts, call.
They should really end the thread on this statement because it is the Truth.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have started to just restate my name and number if I hit a wall on what I'm saying. Has made things better, that's the main thing you want to get across anyhow.

I'm a scripter. I'll have my talking points for a phone call written down in advance. If I think voice mail might happen, I have something ready, basically my name, number, what I'm calling about, # and something friendly at the end.

Reactions: BCClone