NBA Draft Prospect pulls up to restaurant in $300,000 car

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Gee whiz, take it easy on this kid. 2K for his agent to rent it for the day. I'd absolutely do that if I was getting drafted into the NBA.

Some fun haters in here.

The kid will spend more on the stupid draft day suit that was barely fashionable during the zoot suit era...

• Agree
Reactions: weR138

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
No idea why it's so hard. Just do something simple, like decide to live on 50% of your take home, with the other half put in a trust of some sort. Hopefully, you have a long enough career that you can have it disperse funds over 30-40 years after retirement.

And put your 15 kids from 18 different women through college or cosmetology school. If Shawn Kemp can make it work, ANYONE can make it work.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Even if it is rented by an agent, the culture and showy nature certainly doesn't stop at this car. Pro sports (basketball especially) seems to be today's "look at me" social media crave on steroids.

In the end it's their money and futures they're risking on jewelry and status, but I don't then feel sorry if they have money issues within a couple of years out of the league. Athletes, of any profession, is very high risk and could lose everything in an instant.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don't worry. The NCAA is on top of this!

Wow, the NCAA has to be the most hypocritical, jaded, two faced, phoney organization in the world. Well, maybe some of the Olympic committees might give them a run for their money.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
No idea why it's so hard. Just do something simple, like decide to live on 50% of your take home, with the other half put in a trust of some sort. Hopefully, you have a long enough career that you can have it disperse funds over 30-40 years after retirement.

C'mon man, yes you do. Many if not most of these kids don't come from financially literate families. They're coming from simple survival, paycheck to paycheck at best.

Which is why I applaud the pro leagues (which I think includes the NBA) that have developed programs to educate these kids about finance. Remember these kids aren't like you and me. They've been recognized a tool, a meal ticket from a very early age. Nobody ever encouraged me to play ball instead of study. I guarantee you a lot of these kids have heard from adults in their lives many times to focus on basketball and don't worry about school.

• Agree
Reactions: Diggame

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That's a 570s so more like $200k, but it's almost certainly rented by either him or his agent, a million places to rent a car like that in LA.

Seriously. How do you know this stuff? Even to recognize that the car is not the one mentioned in the article?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Seriously. How do you know this stuff? Even to recognize that the car is not the one mentioned in the article?
I probably should have said "I think that's a 570s" because I'm far from an expert at that kind of thing so I could definitely be wrong. That said I watch way too much Youtube and car Youtube channels specifically. I'm pretty sure the brake lights on the 720s look slightly different, that's what I noticed first since you see them at the beginning of the video.

• Winner
Reactions: Cycsk

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm curious to know if he has signed with an agent. Could have been an agent that rented it and went out to dinner with him and was trying to impress.

I'm not defending it. Its dumb all around.

Devil's advocate:

This dude just got a boatload of free press.

I'd never heard of him before so I googled him.

So how does this episode affect his market value for endorsement deals? Considering the figure of $2k that others have thrown around for renting the car, I'll go ahead and speculate that he could easily make that back from boosting his endorsement deal value.

• Creative
Reactions: Cycsk

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I probably should have said "I think that's a 570s" because I'm far from an expert at that kind of thing so I could definitely be wrong. That said I watch way too much Youtube and car Youtube channels specifically. I'm pretty sure the brake lights on the 720s look slightly different, that's what I noticed first since you see them at the beginning of the video.
720s also don't have the black panel/intake along the side of the car, as far as I know.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I've told this story on here before. A day or two after "the blarge", I was at the Kum and Go on the corner of Welch and Chamberlain, in pulls a massive, white Mercedes. Out of the driver's seat pops Marcus Fizer. My friend standing next to me says "well, I guess that answers the 'is he declaring?' question."
I wasn’t in school but heard Tinsley was driving around in an Escalade a day or two after Hampton

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Meh, a college grad celebrating landing that $40,000 a year job blows $300 on a weekend bender, drops a couple grand on a new wardrobe and a 55" TV and buys an Accord and no one thinks anything of it.

If that kid did that for himself, his parents, his friends, his posse, his ex girlfriends, etc... than lots of us would have some fun with it.