Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Bottom line is that even though this contract is with the conference and the $ is split between all conference schools (participating schools?) it has to be more than we get from 3rd tier (Cyclones.tv) and at the end of the day that’s what matters, along with what appears to be more guaranteed $/stability.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cypwr

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Sounds like all tier 3 rights in FB, MBB, VB, WBB and wrestling are going to ESPN+.

I don't see how Cyclones.TV survives though this is WAY, WAY better for distribution.

Would much rather send my money to ISU than E$PN. I suppose it's good for the promotion of the conference but I don't like this deal at all. Let the schools broadcast/own the games and then sell the redistribution rights.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Might be a dumb question but if I cut the cord and get rid of cable...can you get an app for a smart tv to get Cyclones.tv on your actual tv?

Sorry I realize a little off topic but didn't want to start a whole thread on it.

I have Amazon Fire Sticks on my TVs and just open Cyclones.tv on the amazon web browser. It worked well for me all season.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I stream Cyclones.TV by going to the website on my phone and using the chromecast icon to cast it on the TV. Works great!

Reactions: Cypwr

CyJack2299

Mar 26, 2019
So I assume John Walters and the Cy.tv team will produce the games that are shown on ESPN+

Cy.tv could stay around to watch the archived games. The purpose of Cy.tv was to get more production out of the Olympic events so they finally achieved that.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
They tried to make it sound like a good thing but I can't see Cyclones.tv keeping a lot of subs for no live content.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Would much rather send my money to ISU than E$PN. I suppose it's good for the promotion of the conference but I don't like this deal at all. Let the schools broadcast/own the games and then sell the redistribution rights.
ISU will get still get your money via ESPN. ISU will get more $ this way than they were with Cy.tv.
How does everyone watch Cyclones.tv without Mediacom?
I don't.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Flowrestling would just re-broadcast the Cyclones.tv broadcast that had Kyven announcing. I'm hoping that stays the same for ESPN+ where we produce it and they re-broadcast

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Flowrestling would just re-broadcast the Cyclones.tv broadcast that had Kyven announcing. I'm hoping that stays the same for ESPN+ where we produce it and they re-broadcast

In this area, ESPN+ doesn't really produce anything. They carry productions done by other entities. It'll just be a CyTV production, but probably with ESPN+ graphics.

Reactions: HGoat1

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
From ISU release:

"Mediacom has been a tremendous partner for our institution and they have been instrumental in helping Iowa State Athletics grow its brand," Pollard said. "We do recognize that live game telecasts for all sports, previously aired on Cyclones.tv and Mediacom, will move to the ESPN+ platform. However, we'll continue to show other programming including media conferences, coaches' shows, special features and replays of all live home game content."

Pollard added that this rights deal is great for the conference and its member institutions. It will launch at Iowa State on July 1, 2020.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I read this as UT and OU cannot provide for this since they have preceding agreements in place that won't/can't allow it. Further, I read it as ISU (and presumably the other 7) providing the content currently on Cyclones.tv to ESPN+ for further distribution. Seems to be a positive development. It also seems that the Big 12 is getting cozier to ESPN and moving away from Fox.

At this point I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not what with ESPN's coverage etc. being so bad over the past 2-3 years.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why would one pay for Cyclones.tv if they can get the same product on espn+?

Which one costs more?

On the other hand maybe if you only pay a small price for ESPN+ it's better than paying for Sling or whatever.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is great. I picture it like a Cyclones Television Network for the modern age.

Sorry but cyclones.tv is amateur hour in every way except Jon Walters. Hopefully now I’ll be able to watch the soccer games.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor