Dixon to UCLA

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Hire crappy coaches...get crappy results...it's not rocket science. The point is that a good coach can be successful at TCU.

I expect them to break out the checkbook.

Yeah they just basically built a new basketball arena (redid the old one dramatically). Guessing they will want a higher profile coach or at least one that has proven himself. I am not saying Fran but a Fran type coach. Some success at a school that don't care about basketball much that has done a decent enough job.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Fran or Trent Johnson to TCU
I like that idea
fid8847.jpg

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
While I think Dixon is a good coach, that's a job that needs some flash. I don't know if he's got that LA personality.

I always thought so too, but they haven't been "good" in ages. Maybe someone like Dixon will make them respectable again given he doesn't seem the type interested in simply being there for the fame.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Why? I thought fanbases should be happy when our own move on to bigger and better things. It's a bad look to be upset. At least that's what all the pundits and people who are more emotionally secure are saying.

I am talking about UCLA. There probably aren't that many TCU fans upset because there probably aren't many TCU basketball fans.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I wonder if the Dallas/Ft. Worth media outlets will be going out to UCLA to cover his announcement live?

Sorry, couldn't help it.
The comparison would actually be better if Pitt media members attended. Although TCU is his alma mater.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Not at all surprised on Dixon hire. Makes all kinds of sense as pointed out by some above.

TCU would be a good fit for Alford's return if he doesn't go to Arkansas. Low expectations. Football school. He'd be like Dixon building a respectable program. Alford in the B12 would be fun too.

I'm curious who will hire Bryce Drew. That was a bad mistake canning him at Vandy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah they just basically built a new basketball arena (redid the old one dramatically). Guessing they will want a higher profile coach or at least one that has proven himself. I am not saying Fran but a Fran type coach. Some success at a school that don't care about basketball much that has done a decent enough job.
Thad Matta

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Not at all surprised on Dixon hire. Makes all kinds of sense as pointed out by some above.

TCU would be a good fit for Alford's return if he doesn't go to Arkansas. Low expectations. Football school. He'd be like Dixon building a respectable program. Alford in the B12 would be fun too.

I'm curious who will hire Bryce Drew. That was a bad mistake canning him at Vandy.

Totally agree with Bryce Drew. Guy had a bad season because all of his players got hurt and they canned him. That was a horrible decision. Bryce at TCU makes for a great story and he could coach against his brother twice a year and bring some press coverage that way.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Totally agree with Bryce Drew. Guy had a bad season because all of his players got hurt and they canned him. That was a horrible decision. Bryce at TCU makes for a great story and he could coach against his brother twice a year and bring some press coverage that way.
Did you guys see who Vandy wants to hire? Jerry Stackhouse.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

What is the new AD at Vandy thinking? Honestly that's a very strange hire. He fires a possibly good coach to hire an assistant with no recruiting ties or history. It's not even like Penny at Memphis is who at his alma matter and loved by the City of Memphis who have loads of elite talent to recruit.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
What is the new AD at Vandy thinking? Honestly that's a very strange hire. He fires a possibly good coach to hire an assistant with no recruiting ties or history. It's not even like Penny at Memphis is who at his alma matter and loved by the City of Memphis who have loads of elite talent to recruit.

Didn't Jerry Stackhouse play for the Grizzlies? Perhaps a Tennessee connection there?

Either way, dumb of Vandy to go that route.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Well, it would be nice to have one easy team on the schedule in conference play. Doesn't mean people want the whole league bad.
See West Virginia and Oklahoma State. Iowa State last year. TCU and Texas Tech for years before that. OK to have 1 or 2 like we have had. But the point jbh made is right on. If Tech and TCU go in to the shitter, that is not good for a 10 team league where Ok State and WV already look down (maybe for more than a year or two). It's what happened quickly to the PAC12.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There’s so much talent in Texas and TCU has the money to spend. It’s unlikely TCU ever goes back to being so bad imo.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
See West Virginia and Oklahoma State. Iowa State last year. TCU and Texas Tech for years before that. OK to have 1 or 2 like we have had. But the point jbh made is right on. If Tech and TCU go in to the shitter, that is not good for a 10 team league where Ok State and WV already look down (maybe for more than a year or two). It's what happened quickly to the PAC12.

OSU and WVU weren't good teams this year but they are still better than the bottom of the Big Ten and ACC. Having one team that is just flat bad, doesn't hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I'll give him credit for at least putting in the time and not just expecting to have a job handed to him. He's been an assistant coach with the Raptors and then their G League team's head coach for a couple years, so it's not as if he'd be coming in with a total lack of experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist