Royce White News

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
..His biggest mistake was entering the draft, he was NBA ready as a player but wasn't ready mentally...
I have been making that same observation since he jumped into the draft.

His circumstance grew leaden rather than glittered gold in pro BB. We were lucky to experience his beautiful basketball mind that one magical season. With shattered prospects, despised by some here as well as by the pro organizations he has antagonized, Royce has not become whole. A couple years, or more, in Ames could have been no worse, and may be for the better, than his current state.

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I guess good for Royce that he thinks he’s a top 5 player. All he will get is people laughing at him as he says it. Sad how much talented was wasted.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
If you're going to be a **** show...you better be a very talented **** show...or try not to be shocked when they curb your ass.

Royce is a 10+ level **** show
Royce has the ability to be a 8-9 level NBA talent.
Royce puts in 10+ level selling his bull **** & excuses.
Royce puts in 2-3 level on being an NBA talent...maybe less.

Don't be like Royce. : (

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
His mistake wasn't leaving for the draft. It was the assumption that the NBA was anything but a business. Even so, I believe it has one of the best player associations in all of pro sports. There were tools available but he chose not use them. Instead, he elected to hold himself hostage to reach for ideals instead of progress thereby devaluing himself as a player prospect and devalued any message he carried. It's not all his fault, but there were certainly some better paths and choices.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hoiberg recommended he go to the NBA.

Rumor was that Hoiberg was tired of his stuff and didn't want to babysit him anymore.
Also from what I heard Hoiberg had to sell Pollard hard on even letting White come to Ames because Jamie was adamantly opposed to bringing him in with his history at Minnesota

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
My personal opinion, based on nothing but how things have played out since, but I think Royce was a ticking time bomb and I don’t know if he would’ve made it another whole year in Ames. Who knows if he even gets drafted then. I think he left at the right time

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’d say Royce had more talent but Marcus was a better player. Royce had more of a perimeter game but Fizer was a beast around the rim.

And as much as it hurts, Wes Johnson was very talented.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21
L

LincolnWay187

Sometimes you just need to STFU and do your job. Royce could've benefited from this advice..I know I do at my office.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's really too bad that he couldn't just play ball, and work hard in the community to spread awareness. Get the platform first, then use it. If he had done that, and waited until he was an established commodity, he could have tackled some of the issues with a larger voice and more leeway.

I think this points out his problem - it's not his advocacy for mental health issues that caused his failures, it's his ACTUAL mental health issues that precluded him from being able to compete at the highest level.

That's what gets me - a fat, pimply man can not be a Hooters waitress just like an athlete with crippling mental health issues can not be an NBA player. Sure every once on a while the man will get a table to wait on and get a few pitty gropes, but in the end he's not a good fit for the organization and is detrimental to their success.

RW doesn't belong in the NBA because of his mental health issues. In unicorn land you'd want to see every one be "included" and accommodated for, but unicorns were killed off by the last collective bargaining agreement.

Really makes you appreciate some of the top tier NBA talent and their whole package of athleticism, smarts, work ethic, character, mental wellness, etc....

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Sometimes you just need to STFU and do your job. Royce could've benefited from this advice..I know I do at my office.

I think it is not that easy, as his affliction leads to such negative behavior. As mentioned before he should just step away and concentrate on his health rather than pro BB's.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I doubt NBA people are citing his anxiety and fear of flying as why he they won’t sign him or why he won’t succeed. It’s his attitude about it.

Which is unfortunate because he definitely IS an NBA talent.
He definitely WAS. The Tournament showed he would have a lot of work to do to be able to play against NBA talent. He really, actually could have been one of the greats in the NBA but he believed mental illness created an entitlement rather than a requirement to work that much harder. I believe he had a fair shot at the NBA, and likely credible opportunities later. It's on him that he didn't make it work. Loved watching him play, though. He may be the best of all time at I.S.U.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I’d say Royce had more talent but Marcus was a better player. Royce had more of a perimeter game but Fizer was a beast around the rim.

And as much as it hurts, Wes Johnson was very talented.
Fizer had a better shot behind the arc by the end of his junior year, but Royce was a gifted and willing passer and could handle like a point guard. He didn't have to be as much of a beast at the rim as Fizer because he could pass out of any pressure for a better shot. I have never seen an ISU player with the combination of gifts and talent as Royce, but I have only really been following closely since the mid 80s.

And this comes from a big Fizer fan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron