10 Best Breweries in Iowa 2018

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Agree with removing exile and back pocket. Lake time has been putting out some great stuff this year. I like them both but 515 and alluvial have been a tad bit disappointing to me this year. Barn town, Franklin street, and Jackson Street are the 3 that killed it for me this year.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Very eastern Iowa slanted. I do like the Big Grove Color TV. Confluence is my local go-to. I think Toppling and Pulpit belong on the list. But I've never cared much at all for Exile.

s_ford

Jul 30, 2018
I believe Iowa Beer Blog and Planned Sick Days are the same person/people and Thew did a partnership beer with them so makes sense he has them.

I actually don’t hate Thews beer but I’ve drank in nicer garages and basements than their tap room
I agree with the setting at Thew. If you took their beer and put it in the Iowa Brewing taproom it would be the most popular taproom in Cedar Rapids, easily.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
My bias is local but I think Firetrucker is woefully underappreciated. I'm not sure I can think of a beer I've had there that I didn't like.

Their uptown IPA is just meh, but the red is spot on, and all the seasonals have been fantastic.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I like all beers to an extent. Decent, but I wont order again is my biggest criticism. When it comes to firetrucker, i've been there a handful of times, I will only order guest taps in the future. Ick.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Apparently I'm in the minority here liking Exile. I think they have great non-IPA options. Ruthie is my tailgating go to, and I love the G.G. (aka Gigi) dark lager. Pulpit has overtaken Toppling G. for me in NE IA. Their English styles are great.

Mistress in Ankeny doesn't have many great beers yet, but I like their space. I am biased because I can walk to it, but their black IPA is pretty good. Firetrucker's Acova Black Walnut is phenomenal. There magno IPA is also good.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Apparently I'm in the minority here liking Exile. I think they have great non-IPA options. Ruthie is my tailgating go to, and I love the G.G. (aka Gigi) dark lager. Pulpit has overtaken Toppling G. for me in NE IA. Their English styles are great.

Mistress in Ankeny doesn't have many great beers yet, but I like their space. I am biased because I can walk to it, but their black IPA is pretty good. Firetrucker's Acova Black Walnut is phenomenal. There magno IPA is also good.
I am also in that minority, has never been an IPA fan. Give me a GiGi with a pizza and Beatnick after mowing the yard am I'm good.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Franklin Street is awesome! They switch up their offerings quite a bit, and my in-laws live in Manchester, so we spend a little time there. The owners are also big Cyclone fans, so that's a plus.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Every beer list in the past 10 years for sure. Always heavily slanted towards hoppy beers.

Not true, the most highly rated beers are regularly stouts and porters, IPAs do get a lot of hype and they are the most tinkered with recipe by far.

• Winner
Reactions: Al_4_State

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron