Official Bowl Watch thread

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
Also... an interesting question on bowl selection:

If OU wins:

If it makes texas drops below WVU in the final standings (which would be dumb but that's how it could go), who goes to the sugar bowl?

The big 12 site isnt clear on this, and different conferences have done different things with their contract bowls.

Is it the #2 team in the big 12 standings, or is it the #2 team in the CFP rankings?

It’s Big 12 rankings and while Texas would have the same number of losses as WV they’d have more wins so no tiebreaker needed.

Also LHN Guy-

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
No team has ever made the CFP with a 29 point rout by a .500 team. Ohio State had a great game against Michigan but it is just one game. And Ohio State had lots of poor games to go along with being routed by Purdue. Nearly being beaten by Maryland the week before in OT by one point does not help them either. And giving up 51 points.

Yet, none of the talking heads give a rip about or are mentioning the Maryland game.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yet, none of the talking heads give a rip about or are mentioning the Maryland game.

I've listened to three straight ESPN radio shows and they've all mentioned the Maryland game. The Coleman and Fitzsimmons Show literally just mentioned how Ohio State should have lost and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Our best path is Texas winning. That leaves no doubt because both are in NY6 bowls and it doesn't matter what they do with Ohio State

There are 3 dislikes on my response and I’d just like to understand the other side of this debate. I see it if Texas wins both them and OU are in the NY6 and we won’t need the outcome of the Big 12 Championship game AND the Big 10 championship game since there is no guarantee for OU to make it in the playoffs even if they win.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
I want Alabama to kick the crap out of GA as long as that happens and OU takes care of business then I think OU makes it in with no problem. I dont give a crap what happens in the Little 10

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
No kidding. The committee needed to put Ohio State at 5 and move Northwestern up instead of moving them down.

Yep. If the committee was intent on getting tOSU in the CFP, this would have been the week and they could have beaten the drums on the Michigan ass-kicking.

They did not do it, and finally wised up and realized the NW really isn't deserving a ranking at all. Moved them down 3, but they should have been moved out. A 4 loss team with no victories over any ranked team and a home loss to the 4-7 Akron Zips is undeserving. Just media (and committee) bias to make the B1G CCG look better.

I think we are looking good either way. If OU avenges their loss, they make the CFP unless Georgia wins. If Georgia wins or UT wins, Big 12 likely gets two teams in NY6 anyway.

Alamo selects between ISU and WVU. Would be nice if Grier decides to sit out for the draft and makes the Alamo choice easy.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
There are 3 dislikes on my response and I’d just like to understand the other side of this debate. I see it if Texas wins both them and OU are in the NY6 and we won’t need the outcome of the Big 12 Championship game AND the Big 10 championship game since there is no guarantee for OU to make it in the playoffs even if they win.

Some of us want OU in the playoff as it would benefit the conference as a whole. Money & prestige. Every member of the Big 12 would get bumped up a rung in the pecking order.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
We are definitely getting 2 teams in NY6 games if OU wins since they are now ranked #5 above Ohio St. and sugar bowl tie in must take Texas. If Texas wins OU should get into a NY6 bowl, but it is no guarantee. I would rather have 2 teams with one being in playoffs than maybe 2 teams with nobody in playoffs.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
This year is proving again that adding the conference championship was needed. Without it the Big 12 would have no chance of getting OU in because either Ohio St would jump them or Georgia would remain above them with a loss. The conference championship game at least gives OU a chance as long as Alabama wins. Personally if Alabama loses I would have them drop below OU, but I already know that isn’t what will happen in reality. Plus it is great added revenue for the conference. Seems that more years than not it will help the Big 12 playoff chances than hurt it.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yep. If the committee was intent on getting tOSU in the CFP, this would have been the week and they could have beaten the drums on the Michigan ass-kicking.

They did not do it, and finally wised up and realized the NW really isn't deserving a ranking at all. Moved them down 3, but they should have been moved out. A 4 loss team with no victories over any ranked team and a home loss to the 4-7 Akron Zips is undeserving. Just media (and committee) bias to make the B1G CCG look better.

I think we are looking good either way. If OU avenges their loss, they make the CFP unless Georgia wins. If Georgia wins or UT wins, Big 12 likely gets two teams in NY6 anyway.

Alamo selects between ISU and WVU. Would be nice if Grier decides to sit out for the draft and makes the Alamo choice easy.

This is spot on.

So the debate should really be Iowa State vs. West Virginia for the Alamo Bowl selection barring something really weird. Thoughts? They obviously have a Heisman finalist but I think we would travel better.

Would be the best bowl in ISU history and we took 20 to 25,000 to Memphis. San Antonio is drive-able so I bet we'd see similar numbers. Hoping its us.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Help Support Us

Become a patron