Official Bowl Watch thread

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
What I want to know is if Texas beats Oklahoma, Northwestern beats Ohio State, and Alabama beats Georgia, would that be enough for ucf to make the playoff assuming they beat Memphis? If not, who is #4 in this scenario?

Reactions: Boxerdaddy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I am going to be pulling hard for OU to beat UT in a tight, well-played game. That is our best path to Alamo Bowl invite. OU makes CFP, and UT plays in Sugar. I think ISU will be selected over WVU.

Plus, Big12 gets more money for a team in CFP, and I would love to see tOSU and the B1G out of the CFP for 2 years straight. Best scenario to get the CFP to eight, as it should be with 5 conference champs + best G5 + 2 at large (ND).

What is lost in the OU v tOSU argument is the bias being placed on Northwestern to even have them ranked so that the B1G CCG looks better. Northwestern has zero wins against the current top 25 CFP, four loss team, and a HOME loss to the Akron Zips. FFS, they are so overrated just to prop the B1G and the ****** B1G West up.

Our best path is OU blowing out Texas so OU makes the playoff. Then the Sugar Bowl has to take Texas.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Bama beats Georgia in my scenario so they stay #1.
They definitely would have a real shot I would think. If Alabama barely beat Georgia then I could see Georgia remaining #4 maybe, but I honestly feel that UCF will lose to Memphis Saturday without Milton.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
we can all sit here all week convincing ourselves that OU is the better team... (they are) using any and every metric available

But all the committee has to say is "We think Ohio State is the better team" and that's that.

Very frustrating.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I’m all for going to 8 teams, but I don’t get the narrative for AQs. If NW should happen to beat OSU this Saturday would they deserve to be in an 8 team playoff? I could probably make an argument for Texas if they won, considering they would’ve beaten OU twice. Also, there would certainly be years you wouldn’t want 2 independents.
Conference Champs have EARNED it on the field. That will always be more fair than some committee's eye test.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I am amazed that there are so many people picking ISU for the Texas bowl. I thought being third in the conference and traveling well, we would be above that.
I see it as a very real possibility. I also think ISU would sell the place out if we were picked for the Alamo Bowl.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
They definitely would have a real shot I would think. If Alabama barely beat Georgia then I could see Georgia remaining #4 maybe, but I honestly feel that UCF will lose to Memphis Saturday without Milton.
I kind of get that...but what's the point? Alabama would have just knocked them off in a neutral site game? We know that winner. Why would they get another shot at the playoffs? Meaning they had their chance and lost, some other team should get in.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I kind of get that...but what's the point? Alabama would have just knocked them off in a neutral site game? We know that winner. Why would they get another shot at the playoffs? Meaning they had their chance and lost, some other team should get in.

$EC. Don’t look for logic, it has nothing to do with putting the most deserving teams in the playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: isuclone89

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Still wondering how we went from being projected by 11 of 12 sportswriters listed on the Camping World Bowl site last week to only 7 of 12 this week. Perhaps they didn't recognize that we were likely to finish ahead of West Virginia. Or maybe they just didn't work very hard on their predictions (one swapped us for Texas).

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Conference Champs have EARNED it on the field. That will always be more fair than some committee's eye test.

A conference champ could "earned it" by playing in a super weak division, going winless in their non-conference games including a loss at home to Akron and just because they win one game on a neutral field, they deserve to go to the playoff as one of the best 4 (or 8) teams?

I'll pass. Give me the 4 best teams that have proved it over an entire season.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Stewart Mandel from the Athletic latest projection. Has OU in CFP, Texas in Sugar, but has Alamo picking WVU over us.

Dec. 28 | Camping World | Orlando
N.C. State (ACC No. 2) vs. Iowa State (Big 12 No. 3)

Reactions: CTTB78