One Final Concert at JTS

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
The Stones played JTS? That is one I wasn't aware of. Would be fun to see some videos of that if there are any that exist.
I seen the Stones play the Voodoo Lounge tour at JTS. Blind Melon opened for them. Shannon Noon(sp) the lead singer for Blind Melon kept calling Ames Des Moines. He was eventually booed off stage.

• Funny
Reactions: pulse and Angie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I seen the Stones play the Voodoo Lounge tour at JTS. Blind Melon opened for them. Shannon Noon(sp) the lead singer for Blind Melon kept calling Ames Des Moines. He was eventually booed off stage.
Atleast he didn't say Iowa City. He would of got his ass shot.

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
That was a fun stretch for awhile. I lived on Beech in a duplex across from the stadium on the 50 yd line. The concerts I remember during that time were:

Rolling Stones/Living Colour
U2
McCartney
Billy Joel/Elton John

Who am I forgetting?

Pink Floyd.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
The Stones played JTS? That is one I wasn't aware of. Would be fun to see some videos of that if there are any that exist.

It was dubbed the Steel Wheelchairs Tour in 1989. They are doing a stadium tour in 2019.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
I am getting old, completely forgot Living Color opened for the Stones. I also went to the U2 concert. Hilton also had some good shows back then. I didn't see Billy Joel at JTS but a few years before that he played back to back nights at Hilton. Skid Row/Bon Jovi was pretty good and Prince was great.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
Stood on a picnic table next to the Olson building when you could see down into the stadium and watched the stones a month into my freshman year. Saw U2 play there too. Never realized Genesis played.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I got into a discussion during turkey day with a couple old farts about concerts that have happened at the Jack. I knew there were some big names that have played JTS but I didn't know the likes of Paul McCartney had been here. We then debated if there could be one more show there (which there won't be I would presume with the grass being destroyed in that instance) who would it be?

Why would the grass be an issue anymore? Both Colorado and Broncos Stadium have concerts about every year on their grass fields (and their fields have been cared for by former ISU turf guys at one time).
I would think if JP could have good show at JTS in early June, it could be a good money maker?
I might be missing something, just curious.

Help Support Us

Become a patron