Weather for WV Thread

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I see weather.gov now has about a 60% chance of rain before and during the game on Saturday.

Can any of you ISU weather people please tell us that this is wrong!!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't understand how there are people dumb enough to look at a forecast 4 days out and expect it to have anything remotely resembling what actual conditions will be. Friday? Yeah, that makes sense. Tuesday? Seriously?

Not a weather guy but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the forecast will significantly change a few times between now and Saturday.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't understand how there are people dumb enough to look at a forecast 4 days out and expect it to have anything remotely resembling what actual conditions will be. Friday? Yeah, that makes sense. Tuesday? Seriously?

Not a weather guy but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the forecast will significantly change a few times between now and Saturday.

A little harsh, but I get your point. However, nothing wrong with looking ahead. I am debating taking my 7 year old or not so I probably won't get too excited about the weather until Thursday or so.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Probably because people want to get their **** in order on what to take with them, and not wait until Friday to find out for themselves or late communication with family friends etc.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Wow, way to be a ****. Somebody pee in your Cheerios this morning?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
A local weather forecast from 4 days ago. Seems pretty accurate to me.

The first round of heavy rain will begin with thunderstorms Friday afternoon. Rain will set up in Central Iowa & slowly drift SE, leaving showers & drizzle on Saturday. More heavy rain Sun-Wed, starting west. Some areas will see 4-6" by mid-next week.

DosSG0qW4AEep5F.jpg

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
A local weather forecast from 4 days ago. Seems pretty accurate to me.

The first round of heavy rain will begin with thunderstorms Friday afternoon. Rain will set up in Central Iowa & slowly drift SE, leaving showers & drizzle on Saturday. More heavy rain Sun-Wed, starting west. Some areas will see 4-6" by mid-next week.

DosSG0qW4AEep5F.jpg

Meh, they already blew this one. 8" already where I'm at with more coming. ;-)

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

tenor.gif

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Over/under on grass lots being closed yet again? Drove by South 16th and lots by Vet Med had standing water in them. Neighbor was just mowing his lawn in the rain.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Actually forecasts 4 days out are plenty accurate. You all knew it would rain today 4 days ago. No need to be a douche about someone looking at a forecast for this weekend.

For the meteorological inclined...

What is the accuracy rate by how many days out we are? I know something like this is difficult to define as "correct" or "incorrect," but what percent of the time, roughly, are things right in a three-day forecast as opposed to the one five days out? Seven? Ten?

I am trying to see if there is a line where it crosses from speculation to rough guess, to reasonably trustworthy, to the stone cold lock of the century.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It looks like this a pretty straight forward weather pattern that has been shaping up. It’s not like they are trying to predict a summer severe storm event so I would buy stock in the forecast at this point.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

4 days ago, the local forecast called for possible severe weather and significant precip (2-3 inches) today. So far, nearly 6 inches of rain since about 8:00 AM, and counting. Shame on them for not getting the total right!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: PlanoClone

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Get the rain gear out and tents for tailgating. Think its a coffee and crown type of game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I see weather.gov now has about a 60% chance of rain before and during the game on Saturday.

Can any of you ISU weather people please tell us that this is wrong!!

Weather.gov is showing some improvement now for Saturday. Basically no chance for rain all day until 7 pm now, and from 7 pm to midnight it is a 49% chance.

So still not ideal, but at least if that forecast holds (which it likely won't), tailgating will be fine all day at least and maybe even the first quarter or so? As long as there's no lightning, I don't care though.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored