OT - Cutting Cable

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
When using a *device* streaming hardware, or You Tube TV, how seamless and fast is it to "channel surf"? When I switch to digital TV antenna, it's very distracting having to wait for the channel to change, then the program to load.
That said, my days of paying Comcast $140 / mo may soon come to an end.

Not bad, in my experience. I don't surf a lot, but there's a guide in most services that you can use to find a show to watch. There's also a recent channel list on most, if you're flipping back and forth.

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
I'm using an Xbox mainly for YouTube TV and the switching of channels and controls are great. When I do use my phone with chromecast for other TVs in the house it's a little more difficult but still not bad. Enjoy your $1,200+ per year in savings.

Reactions: Go2Guy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Really considering YouTube tv... real hard choice though to just abandon my current setup. Does everybody just chrome cast to the tv from their phone/tablet or what?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Really considering YouTube tv... real hard choice though to just abandon my current setup. Does everybody just chrome cast to the tv from their phone/tablet or what?
I would not have cut the cable if that was my only option. We use FireTV devices and PS4 and I've heard Roku and AppleTV devices work well.

Reactions: keepngoal

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Looks impressive with all the sports channels. Also I think I read the Cloud Storage won't include the commercials.
But doesn't that mean your phone, or tablet, becomes your 'Remote Control'? If so, seems kinda inconvenient - ok for watching something if you don't change channels, but not good for channel surfing.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Just an FYI...Sling Orange is going up $5.01 to $25 at the end of this month. Seems to be consistent with what has been mentioned here about some of the other providers. They have added a few channels since we first subscribed to it, but none that really matter much to me...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I would not have cut the cable if that was my only option. We use FireTV devices and PS4 and I've heard Roku and AppleTV devices work well.

Only thing is I’d need 2 Apple TV’s or Rokus so it’s a bit of an outlay at the beginning

• Winner
Reactions: jdcyclone19

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Only thing is I’d need 2 Apple TV’s or Rokus so it’s a bit of an outlay at the beginning
I think at least one of the services gives you a Roku for signing up. And you can get a FireTV stick for practically nothing. Actually, I'm having a garage sale with two of them in it I'll probably price at $5 ea

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not bad, in my experience. I don't surf a lot, but there's a guide in most services that you can use to find a show to watch. There's also a recent channel list on most, if you're flipping back and forth.

PS VUE has a return function as well for Fire.

Reactions: keepngoal

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Just cancelled my cable with Mediacom and kept their internet. I was paying $178/month for both since May and had enough. They are currently offering 100mb internet (1 terabyte data limit/month) and a phone line for $65/month including taxes. It'll be $55/month once I get my own modem and router. No contract either and I never plan on actually using the phone line. Thought this was a decently good deal. Western suburb Des Moines Metro address

• Informative
Reactions: Cy$ and cyfanatic

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Just cancelled my cable with Mediacom and kept their internet. I was paying $178/month for both since May and had enough. They are currently offering 100mb internet (1 terabyte data limit/month) and a phone line for $65/month including taxes. No contract either and I never plan on actually using the phone line. Thought this was a decently good deal. Western suburb Des Moines Metro address
that's a pretty good deal. I'm paying $99 for 200Mb/2TB. I didn't really need the 200Mb but was going over the 1TB so it was cheaper to just upgrade.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

DirecTV now was running a deal for a free Apple TV4K when you prepaid for 3 months. We did that once, cancelled after 3 months and did it with another email address. Got two Apple TVs and 6 months of service for something like $210.

With those or Rokus, it's basically the same setup as a cable or satellite box. Plus you have Netflix or whatever in the second setup.

Reactions: 1100011CS

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Looks impressive with all the sports channels. Also I think I read the Cloud Storage won't include the commercials.
But doesn't that mean your phone, or tablet, becomes your 'Remote Control'? If so, seems kinda inconvenient - ok for watching something if you don't change channels, but not good for channel surfing.
We have YoutubeTV and use rokus on all our TVs for it. Works really well.

Reactions: cyfanatic

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Just cancelled my cable with Mediacom and kept their internet. I was paying $178/month for both since May and had enough. They are currently offering 100mb internet (1 terabyte data limit/month) and a phone line for $65/month including taxes. It'll be $55/month once I get my own modem and router. No contract either and I never plan on actually using the phone line. Thought this was a decently good deal. Western suburb Des Moines Metro address

Yes, but you need to read the terms because the price escalates each year until it reaches $79.99. That's what happened to me at least and I have the same service (only 999GB cap on data and not a terabyte).

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009

If you record on the Cloud Storage and there is no Video On Demand version you can skip comercials. If there is a VOD version it will replace it (some times within 30 minutes after the show airs. The VOD version you can't skip commericials but they are more like YouTube commericals. If it's really your Cloud DVR version you can skip commercials (easier with a remote like Xbox but on phone you have a +30 seconds button I think).

People who don't like YouTube TV it's usually because of this forcing of the VOD over DVR versions. I watch a lot of sports and older TV shows so it doesn't bother me so much.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think at least one of the services gives you a Roku for signing up. And you can get a FireTV stick for practically nothing. Actually, I'm having a garage sale with two of them in it I'll probably price at $5 ea

I'd just get fire sticks but I don't think YouTube TV works on the since google and amazon are having a tiff.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I someone mention it in this thread and I think I'm also going to try Philo. Outside of FB season, $16/mon for 40 channels looks solid.