***2018 US Open Golf Thread***

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Watching live odds update after every shot on bovada has been fascinating. It really tells the story.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
To those posters who don't think there's an issue with this course imagine if the NCAA just arbitrarily moved the 3 point line back 5 feet for NCAA tournament games, or narrowed or lengthened the court. All of the players would be playing on the same court...but is it fair to them?

What is a regulation basketball court? What - in your mind - would be a regulation golf course? You seem to be arguing for every course to be the same grass, the same length, the same greens, bunkers, etc...

• Agree
Reactions: octaviouspoon

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Two pins got away. You want to know the problem? The problem is that the PGA Tour coddles these guys and sets up everything so that they are never uncomfortable. They never play in any sort of foul weather. Everything is set up to get them to 10 under par or so. SO when they get something that makes them uncomfortable, it feels unfair. The pins on 13 and 15 were bad. I'm not saying they weren't. They were not impossible, though. If these guys don't want to see a ball roll back and want to continue to take advantage of technology and advancement on the performance side, this stuff is going to happen. It's the only way these courses won't be made a mockery of.

Why do we care what they are to par? They are so good that I want to see good shots. And when they get on the green, I don’t need to see them putting it off the green. That’s not how golf was meant to played and it still isn’t. The course was built 100 years ago. This wasn’t the intended setup. I don’t see why it needs to change. They’ve lengthened it plenty.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Another US Open. Another round of the same babies whining about the course setup. No one is forcing anyone to play in this.

The US Open is not just a test of clubs and shafts and balls. It’s about CAJONES. JUEVOS. CRAN.

• Funny
Reactions: Doc

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I like seeing them pushed to the limit like this. Yesterday got a little out of hand due to the wind being higher than expected.
To those posters who don't think there's an issue with this course imagine if the NCAA just arbitrarily moved the 3 point line back 5 feet for NCAA tournament games, or narrowed or lengthened the court. All of the players would be playing on the same court...but is it fair to them?

Horrible analogy. All courses are different, all tournament set ups are different.

By your logic every single course would be laid out the same exact way with the same exact yardages.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Another US Open. Another round of the same babies whining about the course setup. No one is forcing anyone to play in this.

The US Open is not just a test of clubs and shafts and balls. It’s about CAJONES. JUEVOS. CRAN.

No one is forcing anyone to play in this? That’s the excuse?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Why do we care what they are to par? They are so good that I want to see good shots. And when they get on the green, I don’t need to see them putting it off the green. That’s not how golf was meant to played and it still isn’t. The course was built 100 years ago. This wasn’t the intended setup. I don’t see why it needs to change. They’ve lengthened it plenty.

I couldn't give a **** less what they are to par. I thought Erin Hills was fantastic but it was done in by weather. I thought this week was very interesting. 2 out of 72 holes got away from them, players bitched like a bunch of entitled children, and they were forced to back it way off. People hit ****** golf shots yesterday. There was zero wrong with how receptive those greens were. They're also Poa greens and if you expect smooth Poa at a US Open, or anywhere for that matter, that's your own fault. Talking heads are putting this in the 04 and 14 category. That's preposterous.

These guys live on the PGA Tour where they actively avoid any sort of weather, they soften everything so if there are missed they are never exacerbated. The rough is grown up around the green so everything stays close. Once they have to struggle they go into orbit.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Everyone seems to hate Patrick Reed, but I love the guy.

He's a lot of things but whiny isn't one of them. I'm sure people don't know this but if there's a guy who has a game sensitive to a course getting out of hand, it's him. He doesn't hit it very high and it's almost always coming in right to left. Firm courses should be harder fot him than a lot of guys. Alas, he's the only one that will stand up and tell it like it is.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I couldn't give a **** less what they are to par. I thought Erin Hills was fantastic but it was done in by weather. I thought this week was very interesting. 2 out of 72 holes got away from them, players bitched like a bunch of entitled children, and they were forced to back it way off. People hit ****** golf shots yesterday. There was zero wrong with how receptive those greens were. They're also Poa greens and if you expect smooth Poa at a US Open, or anywhere for that matter, that's your own fault. Talking heads are putting this in the 04 and 14 category. That's preposterous.

These guys live on the PGA Tour where they actively avoid any sort of weather, they soften everything so if there are missed they are never exacerbated. The rough is grown up around the green so everything stays close. Once they have to struggle they go into orbit.

I disagree completely.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Then people ***** when the USGA just goes with it. If people are just going to ***** about everything, and right now it seems like people are doing to be a part of the cool kids group, they are constantly going to be going back and forth. People should have been defending them after last year when the weather dictated Erin Hills wasn't going to be what it was expected to be. Instead, they bitched. They bitched yesterday and they're ******** today.

That's true, people will probably always complain. I'm sure it's not easy. The US Open is fun because you get to see long putts and scrambling to get up and down. It was just a minority of holes yesterday where the guys couldn't make a realistic run at a medium length putt or even attempt to chip it close. But fortunately it was the minority. Overall, probably the best course and setup in several years.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Koepka really managed that last round well, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he belongs on the big stage with the other big names. He played really well, and managed to minimize the damage there when he was off for a couple holes there in the middle of the round.

I really didn't see a problem with the course at all. About what I expect to see for a US Open.