***2018 US Open Golf Thread***

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
To those posters who don't think there's an issue with this course imagine if the NCAA just arbitrarily moved the 3 point line back 5 feet for NCAA tournament games, or narrowed or lengthened the court. All of the players would be playing on the same court...but is it fair to them?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
How’s it unfair? All 60 some guys have to play the same course with the same pins. The only thing that was different today was the weather in the afternoon was harder. That’s part of golf though and something that happens at every single British Open.
They may have played the same course but that course didn't play the same in the afternoon as it did in the morning.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Lol, Phil hit a bad putt that was probably going to roll a long ways past, so he ran and hit it before it stopped. Pretty stupid, but not the international incident these guys make it out to be.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/golf/2018/6/17/17471162/phil-putt-moving-ball-us-open

I think even if announcers didn’t go off deep end, CF would cause haters gonna hate. They have a specific rule and applied the specific penalty set forth in the rule. If only they could have him drawn and quartered for disrespecting golf!:eek:

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Happens every week and specifically at The Open...

No, it doesn’t. They don’t put pins in spots where if the wind is out of control, putts are impossible. It’s hard because it’s windy.

On Thursday it blew just as hard and players struggled - but it was because of the wind, not the pin placements.

It’s not windy right now and guys are still struggling. They don’t need to do outrageous things to make it hard.

Reactions: Scott34

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
To those posters who don't think there's an issue with this course imagine if the NCAA just arbitrarily moved the 3 point line back 5 feet for NCAA tournament games, or narrowed or lengthened the court. All of the players would be playing on the same court...but is it fair to them?

That’s a pretty bad analogy. Basketball has defenders, golf is more like a 3PT contest.

• Winner
Reactions: octaviouspoon

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
No, it doesn’t. They don’t put pins in spots where if the wind is out of control, putts are impossible. It’s hard because it’s windy.

On Thursday it blew just as hard and players struggled - but it was because of the wind, not the pin placements.

It’s not windy right now and guys are still struggling. They don’t need to do outrageous things to make it hard.

The president of the USGA himself admitted that the course had some bad pin placements so I’m not going to argue that. That being said...afternoon scores are usually higher on average than morning scores on average. He’s not wrong.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
The president of the USGA himself admitted that the course had some bad pin placements so I’m not going to argue that. That being said...afternoon scores are usually higher on average than morning scores on average. He’s not wrong.

Are you talking in general or this week?
I believe that’s all weather dependent, of which I am absolutely fine with.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Are you talking in general or this week?
I believe that’s all weather dependent, of which I am absolutely fine with.

In general the courses dry out and get a little harder in the afternoon. I wasn’t able to watch until the end yesterday and and don’t really know how bad it was to be honest.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
In general the courses dry out and get a little harder in the afternoon. I wasn’t able to watch until the end yesterday and and don’t really know how bad it was to be honest.

That’s true if the weather is normal. Which is the problem with those pins because they “didn’t think it would get that windy”. It’s just poor planning. You can’t put pins in spots that are, as they have admitted, impossible in that wind.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The difference is the British Open lets the weather dictate the scores. The USGA seems to be arrogant enough to think it's their job to predict the weather and adjust the course to always have a winner around par. The weather affecting play is one thing, the course being dramatically affected by the weather is another.

Then people ***** when the USGA just goes with it. If people are just going to ***** about everything, and right now it seems like people are doing to be a part of the cool kids group, they are constantly going to be going back and forth. People should have been defending them after last year when the weather dictated Erin Hills wasn't going to be what it was expected to be. Instead, they bitched. They bitched yesterday and they're ******** today.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ok so you admit the course got away from the USGA but they should just hit it better?

I’m sorry, I don’t agree. It’s windy at that course. That’s the protection. Let it play that way. Those greens were never supposed to play to a 13 or whatever they were. They’ve failed twice at the same course. It’s a great course without having to trick up the greens. It would still be hard.

I’m not in favor of making it so hard that they can’t putt. They are the best in the world at a lot of things, but the closest thing I am to them would be putting - so I don’t really to see them on a miniature golf course.

Two pins got away. You want to know the problem? The problem is that the PGA Tour coddles these guys and sets up everything so that they are never uncomfortable. They never play in any sort of foul weather. Everything is set up to get them to 10 under par or so. SO when they get something that makes them uncomfortable, it feels unfair. The pins on 13 and 15 were bad. I'm not saying they weren't. They were not impossible, though. If these guys don't want to see a ball roll back and want to continue to take advantage of technology and advancement on the performance side, this stuff is going to happen. It's the only way these courses won't be made a mockery of.

• Winner
Reactions: DeereClone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Did I miss something? Are they playing the same course every week? Is it not understood tees and locations change?

Reactions: Doc

Help Support Us

Become a patron