Texas zeroing in on Neill Berry

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Randy P's take on Berry leaving and early names for the new assistant coach.

"Prohm’s history leans toward basketball folks he knows — staffer William Small was a Prohm assistant at Murray State, and Berry was a Southeastern Louisiana player when Prohm was an assistant at the school.
If he follows that trend, Prohm could promote Micah Byars from director of operations. He could hire James Kane, a former Murray State assistant and currently an assistant at Dayton. That's a name I'd remember. What about throwing former star Georges Niang into the mix? That’s not likely happening; he’s having too much fun in the pros. He could promote graduate assistants Nick Graham or Greg Gardner. This much is known: Prohm is a hands-on recruiter. He’s in the trenches just as much as his assistants — maybe more. Whoever he hires will be a combination strategist and recruiter. Berry’s departure is a hiccup and nothing more -- unless it's a factor in the Wigginton decision. Losing T.J. Otzelberger a few years back was more significant. At least he left for a head coaching job.
The guess here is that it's Kane, who worked for Prohm at Murray four seasons before Prohm replaced Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State. He's a recruiter. He worked for the Charlotte Hornets in basketball ops and scouting during the 2005-06 season. He knows X's and O's."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...xas-shaka-smart-steve-prohm-big-12/633973002/

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Officially official.

Ok Neill, thanks for your help. But when you then choose to stand up and be counted with the enemies of everything that ISU stands for, you'd best not look for continued fare-thee-wells. I suppose he could have gone to work for Fran instead.

EDIT: There is an invisible jimlad associated with this post. I don' have that on my phone.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the money is a bigger reason for assistant coaches taking other head coaching jobs (than head coaches taking other head coaching jobs).

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
It's easy to recruit to Texas. He can recruit the next Mo Bamba, and pitch that along with Wigginton when applying to mid-major head coaching jobs.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Randy P's take on Berry leaving and early names for the new assistant coach.

"Prohm’s history leans toward basketball folks he knows — staffer William Small was a Prohm assistant at Murray State, and Berry was a Southeastern Louisiana player when Prohm was an assistant at the school.
If he follows that trend, Prohm could promote Micah Byars from director of operations. He could hire James Kane, a former Murray State assistant and currently an assistant at Dayton. That's a name I'd remember. What about throwing former star Georges Niang into the mix? That’s not likely happening; he’s having too much fun in the pros. He could promote graduate assistants Nick Graham or Greg Gardner. This much is known: Prohm is a hands-on recruiter. He’s in the trenches just as much as his assistants — maybe more. Whoever he hires will be a combination strategist and recruiter. Berry’s departure is a hiccup and nothing more -- unless it's a factor in the Wigginton decision. Losing T.J. Otzelberger a few years back was more significant. At least he left for a head coaching job.
The guess here is that it's Kane, who worked for Prohm at Murray four seasons before Prohm replaced Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State. He's a recruiter. He worked for the Charlotte Hornets in basketball ops and scouting during the 2005-06 season. He knows X's and O's."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...xas-shaka-smart-steve-prohm-big-12/633973002/

Sounds like Kane would be an excellent hire. Graham would likely be very hungry on the trail, so I bet he would produce there, however he's a little green to depend much on his strategy/gameplanning.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Relax. I really don't think its that personal, man.
I agree. I also will send a message to Neill, "I hope that your Longhorn team continues to underwhelm and underperform & I hope the Cyclones kick your can all over the place. Nothin' personal."

• Agree
Reactions: cyups2323

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Neill, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. If i was you i would buy milk by the 1/2 gallon. Look forward to beating you.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
First, I can understand someone wanting a new job and a new perspective. He’s southern, etc. I certainly don’t think anyone is obligated to stay in the same job forever.

BUT.....it would be nice if we could find people that wanted to be here. Prohm was in Berry’s wedding for gods sake. We have a great basketball program. And yet, he didn’t want to be here more than3 years?

CycloneAS93

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 31, 2017
First, I can understand someone wanting a new job and a new perspective. He’s southern, etc. I certainly don’t think anyone is obligated to stay in the same job forever.

BUT.....it would be nice if we could find people that wanted to be here. Prohm was in Berry’s wedding for gods sake. We have a great basketball program. And yet, he didn’t want to be here more than3 years?
Think about it this way. Assistants come and go. What hurts is when we can't even keep a head coach longer than 4-5 years. Last time we had a coach that long was Orr... I really hope Prohm stays and produces for a very long time.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Taking the next step in a career doesn't mean he didn't want to stay in Ames. Coaching is a difficult profession and you need to take advantage of an opportunity to advance wnen you can. Like it or not adding UT to your resume in addition to ISU adds to his resume and chances for getting a HC job. I think it is more than likely that Prohm recommended he go to Austin, since it the best move for Neill.

TJ is an example of a coach who chose to leave due to the opportunity to advance his career and now his is a HC at a Mid Major with potential to get a P5 job. Otz stayed when McD left, then went to Washington only to ultimately come back (even staying with Prohm). Learning under 4 coaches, getting all those contacts and recruiting experience led to SDSU. I don't think he would have been a better position that job if he only coached under Fred while at ISU.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Being honest. I don't think Texas basketball is that special. I have not seen a bunch of assistants at Texas getting coaching jobs. I could actually understand, but hate it, if he went to Kansas to coach under Bill Self. They are at least a blue blood. I would also understand if an assistant football coach went to Texas since they are an elite program, regardless of the last few years, they are a powerful football school. Berry clearly made the move for money. Which is fine. It's a free country. Just hope he knows this does not do much for him basketball wise as far as future coaching. Coaching under a coach that is on the hot seat is not a step up.

seattleCy

Apr 17, 2015
leaves for conference rival, yes spicy.

Man, what a bunch of whiners. There are a hundred reasons outside of basketball why someone might choose to go to Austin, not to mention everything LLCoolJansma wrote.

I'm disappointed to lose a good coach and recruiter as well, but jeesh. The guy is a husband and has kids. The world does not revolve around cyups or ISU basketball.

Get it together folks.

PS I'm not sure I would call Texas a basketball "rival" just because they are in the same conference.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I totally agree with you. He has every right to do what is best for himself and his family. I'm merely stating that in my eyes since he went to a conference rival he is now the enemy.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's more money, more exposure, and back in the south. I'm sure CSP was OK with him taking the job.
But hopefully CSP told him- if we are ever recruiting the same kid some day, be truthful, meaning you can never negatively recruit against Iowa State.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron