Random Thoughts XII - This Thread Delivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So last night was baby care, well the start at least. We had to practice with some baby dolls and I looked at DH holding mine - looking at the head - and was like oh dear God tell me this isn't newborn size. The lady starts talking and is like oh yeah, btw, these aren't newborn, it's like 2 months old size and the pregnant half of the class was audibly relieved. DH thought this was funny. He's an ass.

So then she's like unswaddle your baby to practice changing the diaper. We start to do so and I'm very confused to notice that our baby is not wearing a diaper, but rather a paper towel. WTF??I look around and we're the only ones with such. So DH goes and gets a different baby. I was very surprised when we took off the diaper to notice that these were very anatomically correct babies. DH is like what did you expect? IDK, DH, all the baby dolls I had growing up were very neutral down there! I just wasn't expecting baby peen!

A dad that always makes great faces at his wife asked for how long babies have 6-8 diapers a day. The nurse lady is like "years". He goes "oh that's great" hahahaha. Also, I feel like 6-8 is low end for a baby? Maybe that was 6-8 poopy diapers?

Nurse lady asked what questions people had, turns out most of the dads were really concerned about dropping the baby/the wobbly neck big head deal.

Then we had group discussions at the end with questions to think about. That got deep! Our questions had to do with how did the way our parents raised us affect how we will parent and how will we handle post-baby texts/visits/etc. immediately after birth. I'm like oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh boy, this is relevant to our lives right now!

Also, I was good at swaddling. DH screwed it up. He's like I missed a step somewhere. I look over and I'm like yeah you did. So I had to walk him back through it. I may have gloated a bit.

Next week we're supposed to bring the car seat. We don't even have it yet and we won't by next week either. Ooops.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So last night was baby care, well the start at least. We had to practice with some baby dolls and I looked at DH holding mine - looking at the head - and was like oh dear God tell me this isn't newborn size. The lady starts talking and is like oh yeah, btw, these aren't newborn, it's like 2 months old size and the pregnant half of the class was audibly relieved. DH thought this was funny. He's an ass.

So then she's like unswaddle your baby to practice changing the diaper. We start to do so and I'm very confused to notice that our baby is not wearing a diaper, but rather a paper towel. WTF??I look around and we're the only ones with such. So DH goes and gets a different baby. I was very surprised when we took off the diaper to notice that these were very anatomically correct babies. DH is like what did you expect? IDK, DH, all the baby dolls I had growing up were very neutral down there! I just wasn't expecting baby peen!

A dad that always makes great faces at his wife asked for how long babies have 6-8 diapers a day. The nurse lady is like "years". He goes "oh that's great" hahahaha. Also, I feel like 6-8 is low end for a baby? Maybe that was 6-8 poopy diapers?

Nurse lady asked what questions people had, turns out most of the dads were really concerned about dropping the baby/the wobbly neck big head deal.

Then we had group discussions at the end with questions to think about. That got deep! Our questions had to do with how did the way our parents raised us affect how we will parent and how will we handle post-baby texts/visits/etc. immediately after birth. I'm like oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh boy, this is relevant to our lives right now!

Also, I was good at swaddling. DH screwed it up. He's like I missed a step somewhere. I look over and I'm like yeah you did. So I had to walk him back through it. I may have gloated a bit.

Next week we're supposed to bring the car seat. We don't even have it yet and we won't by next week either. Ooops.

Tell him, it's like wrapping a burrito.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
DC in July???
You are a glutton for punishment. If the traffic doesn't get you the humidity will

Humidity yes. Traffic really not that bad. We lived there two years, subway is great, so many wonderful free things, wide streets unlike Boston or Philly.

We always just got the newborn carseat from the hospital, maybe they have one you can use?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Humidity yes. Traffic really not that bad. We lived there two years, subway is great, so many wonderful free things, wide streets unlike Boston or Philly.

We always just got the newborn carseat from the hospital, maybe they have one you can use?

yeah she said they have some you can borrow if you don't have yours yet. We're getting one but I was waiting until we get the % off in a few more days (or get it as a gift).

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That is not a word! A good friend just started working for a company out of Wisconsin and on his first trip up to their HQ they talked about a client in Maquoketa, Iowa. They couldn't figure out how to pronounce it to save their life but they can pronounce 80 different towns named after Native American stuff.

Granted for the most part we are not driving around MadTown during rush hour to and from Osh but the issues were always caused by construction on the SW side. Chicago isn't bad once you get the hang of it and remember not to follow speed limits.

How do you pronounce it? Since the river flowed through my town I am familiar with how we pronounce it as Ma-Coke-eta but I am betting that is not natively correct. Remember hearing (decades ago) a radio commercial (not produced here) that was citing locations for some movie and they pronounced it Ma-Qwak-eta. Thought it was funny then wondered if that was actually correct.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
How do you pronounce it? Since the river flowed through my town I am familiar with how we pronounce it as Ma-Coke-eta but I am betting that is not natively correct. Remember hearing (decades ago) a radio commercial (not produced here) that was citing locations for some movie and they pronounced it Ma-Qwak-eta. Thought it was funny then wondered if that was actually correct.

I pronounce it like you do.

CG-Solid update. Baby burritos are great and all but one way or another they are usually escape artisits. Sleep sacks are where it's at.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
There's that too. We may end up spending most of our time their in the subway. DC does have a great subway system.
I think parking away from the city and taking the train in is probably a good idea. I have not been in DC in 40 years

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think parking away from the city and taking the train in is probably a good idea. I have not been in DC in 40 years

We lived in Arlington and did that at first. Husband had free parking at work, was easier and faster to drive unless like two inches of snow freaked everyone out. Plus we worked two blocks away from each other. Close enough in we didn’t need to take the Beltway. Farther out would definitely take train.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
There's that too. We may end up spending most of our time their in the subway. DC does have a great subway system.
If you're going to spend a day on the mall, we found that the all-day bus pass was very useful. You could climb on & off at different spots to cut down on extended walking time (we had small children with us, so that was kind of important).

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I've been there enough that I know my way around pretty well using the subway system and walking. Well, at least around the mall and downtown areas. We are most likely going to stay in Arlington, Reston or Bethesda. Those places seem to have the best combination of price and accessibility to metro lines when we're going.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
We lived in Arlington and did that at first. Husband had free parking at work, was easier and faster to drive unless like two inches of snow freaked everyone out. Plus we worked two blocks away from each other. Close enough in we didn’t need to take the Beltway. Farther out would definitely take train.
Every time I've been there, the trainers we've had complain about the notorious DC rush hour traffic. To me, it never seemed all that bad but I wasn't driving anywhere. I suppose they were using that as an excuse to leave so that they wouldn't be forced to go to happy hour with us.

If you're going to spend a day on the mall, we found that the all-day bus pass was very useful. You could climb on & off at different spots to cut down on extended walking time (we had small children with us, so that was kind of important).
I'm considering that. My kids are old enough that they should be OK walking most places but I also know that the girls will, more than likely, be wearing flip flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.