Tailgate tour questions

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
In Templeton today:

Football jerseys to be announced in June or July. Before football season. Jersey design isn’t final yet.

Baseball? Not happening now because of geography. Prohm answered this question.

THT update. Finishing school then doing U18 tryout. Be on campus mid to late June.

Grey shirt, red shirt, etc question which everyone on here probably understands.

New kickoff rule notes by Campbell. Fair catch will be nice but excited to get Kene back.

All coaches talked about walk-ons. Volleyball walk-ons are recruited, no tryouts. Wrestling picked up “guys from the gas station and if you want to wrestle come talk to me after this.” Fennelly talked about importance of walk-ons and how they are good role models. Prohm says he should have went with Dresser to gas station and grabbed a walk-on too then noted Jeff Hornacek’s story, talked culture. Campbell prioritizes walk-ons because they can be huge assets and use them to have a 130 man roster.

John Schaben of Dunlap Livestock noted as key Athletic Dept supporter by Pollard.

Big 12 expansion is not a worry right now. Ten is the right number of teams for scheduling. Can’t say we won’t ever see expansion. Not a discussion in league now and won’t be talked about this year.

Wigginton update. Prohm talked to him and his dad last night. Three workouts to go then going back to Canada. Decision coming 29th before deadline of 30th. 50/50 right now.

Football sideline switch. Switch to protect signals from sidelines being stolen. Noted altercation (Geno Smith IIRC).

John Walters favorite call from the past year. TCU field rush. Favorite call all time is at Nebraska (turnover game).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
In Templeton today:

Football jerseys to be announced in June or July. Before football season. Jersey design isn’t final yet.

Baseball? Not happening now because of geography. Prohm answered this question.

THT update. Finishing school then doing U18 tryout. Be on campus mid to late June.

Grey shirt, red shirt, etc question which everyone on here probably understands.

New kickoff rule notes by Campbell. Fair catch will be nice but excited to get Kene back.

All coaches talked about walk-ons. Volleyball walk-ons are recruited, no tryouts. Wrestling picked up “guys from the gas station and if you want to wrestle come talk to me after this.” Fennelly talked about importance of walk-ons and how they are good role models. Prohm says he should have went with Dresser to gas station and grabbed a walk-on too then noted Jeff Hornacek’s story, talked culture. Campbell prioritizes walk-ons because they can be huge assets and use them to have a 130 man roster.

John Schaben of Dunlap Livestock noted as key Athletic Dept supporter by Pollard.

Big 12 expansion is not a worry right now. Ten is the right number of teams for scheduling. Can’t say we won’t ever see expansion. Not a discussion in league now and won’t be talked about this year.

Wigginton update. Prohm talked to him and his dad last night. Three workouts to go then going back to Canada. Decision coming 29th before deadline of 30th. 50/50 right now.

Football sideline switch. Switch to protect signals from sidelines being stolen. Noted altercation (Geno Smith IIRC).

John Walters favorite call from the past year. TCU field rush. Favorite call all time is at Nebraska (turnover game).

Is there really someone stupid enough to ask about baseball?

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Not sure if it is as interesting as it is depressing. I thought the changes of him going would be a lot lower.
Here's hoping Coach just toed the company line in that comment so as not to appear to be pushing LW one way or the other. 50/50 is a factual as you can get right now, might stay might leave.
I am very biased but even if I try to put on an objective hat I've got to think he wants to be a slam dunk first rounder. If thats not the case, come back, be all conference, and build your case for the lottery.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Well that is an interesting nugget
I heard him talking last week in Waterloo and shared similar comments about 50/50. I didn’t post anything because he wasn’t talking directly to me and it was loud but it seemed like there is a very very real chance he could be gone.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Is there really someone stupid enough to ask about baseball?
Apparently they get the question a lot. So much that Prohm had heard Pollard give the answer enough times that he answered the question today. He talked about how baseball at ISU wouldn't work right now because they'd be up against the Texas schools. "But Iowa has baseball" was also address by saying yes they do but they play against Michigan and Illinois who have similar geography, weather. Baseball just won't work at ISU the way the Big 12 currently looks.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Apparently they get the question a lot. So much that Prohm had heard Pollard give the answer enough times that he answered the question today. He talked about how baseball at ISU wouldn't work right now because they'd be up against the Texas schools. "But Iowa has baseball" was also address by saying yes they do but they play against Michigan and Illinois who have similar geography, weather. Baseball just won't work at ISU the way the Big 12 currently looks.

It also doesn't help that pretty much all the Texas school or pretty damn good at baseball. We'd get our butts handed to us so regularly that it would be hard to sell the program to recruits and build up a program from zero. After a few years of getting demolished a lot of people would be upset at us wasting money on baseball.

I can't imagine what the startup costs would be of getting to Big12 level facilities for baseball as well.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It also doesn't help that pretty much all the Texas school or pretty damn good at baseball. We'd get our butts handed to us so regularly that it would be hard to sell the program to recruits and build up a program from zero. After a few years of getting demolished a lot of people would be upset at us wasting money on baseball.

I can't imagine what the startup costs would be of getting to Big12 level facilities for baseball as well.
I get why we don't have baseball.

But in a post football world (distant future) we're gonna need it or hockey. Whichever is cheaper to start and run. It's a bummer to see KU/KSU & TCU/UT on FS1 and know we can't have that.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I heard him talking last week in Waterloo and shared similar comments about 50/50. I didn’t post anything because he wasn’t talking directly to me and it was loud but it seemed like there is a very very real chance he could be gone.

Yeah, I doubt it. He's not getting drafted.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Yeah, don't see any point in trying to set up a sport that ISU will continually get hammered in because they will not be able to get the players, and will either play less games or spend months on the road to play in decent weather. Hockey seems like a better plan. Less money, closer to recruiting areas, etc.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, don't see any point in trying to set up a sport that ISU will continually get hammered in because they will not be able to get the players, and will either play less games or spend months on the road to play in decent weather. Hockey seems like a better plan. Less money, closer to recruiting areas, etc.

I agree with hockey because of the weather and recruiting to become an average team. I know nothing about the costs though, I always figured it would be at least as expensive as baseball. Just my opinion looking from the outside. I know you don't need to be giant school with a with a Texa$ size budget to win at hockey University of Minnesota Duluth won the frozen four this yr.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Mostly football players, but not exclusively. A few years ago some volleyball players were in attendance in Cedar Rapids. Last night there was a swimmer (although she was also part of the AD staff helping run the event).

Ejim was at the Waterloo tailgate tour after his freshman year

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Not liking the 50/50 comment from Prohm regarding Wiggy leaving...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I get why we don't have baseball.

But in a post football world (distant future) we're gonna need it or hockey. Whichever is cheaper to start and run. It's a bummer to see KU/KSU & TCU/UT on FS1 and know we can't have that.

If college football goes away, everyone is going to be scrambling. We will have basketball to lean on in any case. There are a lot of schools who don't do baseball or hockey. Hell there are schools that don't do football and still have successful basketball.

Spending millions on a sport, and the matching amount on another women's sport, just in case football goes away, seems like a bad idea.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron