Here's a way to honor Jack Trice this fall

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
In 1984, Jack Trice Field was dedicated at Cyclone Stadium.

In 1988, the familiar Jack Trice statue was dedicated in front of a crowd of people including Trice relatives and former teammates.

The 1980s had some of the best Cyclone logos *cough* Orr Cyclone *cough* Walking Cy *cough* so ... lets mash up Jack Trice's 1923 uniform with the Football Cy logo to create a custom helmet that honors the activism of so many people to keep his memory alive during the 1980s.

I give you Jack Trice Football Cy.

DdbHKTgU0AAcj7t.jpg

Maybe something can be done for Jack's 95th anniversary this fall?

Do it for Jack.

For 37.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Reminds of that wild one okie state had in Ames last year.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

In 1988, the familiar Jack Trice statue was dedicated in front of a crowd of people including Trice relatives and former teammates.

The 1980s had some of the best Cyclone logos *cough* Orr Cyclone *cough* Walking Cy *cough* so ... lets mash up Jack Trice's 1923 uniform with the Football Cy logo to create a custom helmet that honors the activism of so many people to keep his memory alive during the 1980s.

DdbHKTgU0AAcj7t.jpg

Do it for Jack.

For 37.
More good stuff from you Kagavi! But as always, good luck getting anybody who has the actual authority, admin, coaching staff, etc. to read, let alone consider some of your ideas.

Don't stop though, keep punching away. I love your ideas, research and thought. Maybe something grassroots will eventually happen.

BTW, I love your Trice Cy!

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Love the Helmet Logo! Also, those Trice Jerseys we wore a few years ago were awesome just because they were so original and ours - everyother jersey change we get has been borrowed from another idea that's been around a few years.
(Although I think somebody said the Trice Jersey stripes are now not allowed by NCAA).

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

DdbHKTgU0AAcj7t.jpg

Do it for Jack.

For 37.

I just want a shirt with that Cy on it. Pretty please?

Reactions: kentkel

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Love the Helmet Logo! Also, those Trice Jerseys we wore a few years ago were awesome just because they were so original and ours - everyother jersey change we get has been borrowed from another idea that's been around a few years.
(Although I think somebody said the Trice Jersey stripes are now not allowed by NCAA).
I don't think the problem is the stripes. I think it's the fact that they have to have the numbers on the front and back of the uniform which ruins the whole concept of the stripes.

Reactions: Go2Guy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don't think the problem is the stripes. I think it's the fact that they have to have the numbers on the front and back of the uniform which ruins the whole concept of the stripes.

Make the numbers smaller and put them in the upper right corner or something?

I thought the stripes were an amazing look, but the white numbers did mess it up a lot. Daughter has one of the cardinal t-shirts with the gold stripes and I would steal it if it would fit!

Reactions: Go2Guy

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

DdbHKTgU0AAcj7t.jpg

Do it for Jack.

For 37.
Whatever they paid that guy who created the emoji poop logo for the UT game last year, they should get it back from him and give it to you to adopt this design! Love the idea!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I agree, it'd be cool to mark 95th anniversary of his death. Closest home date on this year's schedule is Oct. 13 (vs. WVa), if that part is important.

Kagavi is on the right track to make it a subtle focus, using the helmet, rather than trying to do a uniform concept. I'd go even simpler, make the Trice-stripes the helmet logo. Focal point, but doesn't overwhelm.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Helmet decals are cheap. And you can use them in a one game setting and never again if you want. I'd be all for this.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Any chance we could see that logo on a white helmet? :D

Delivered.

DdvIdNQU8AAM-Ml.jpg

But as always, good luck getting anybody who has the actual authority, admin, coaching staff, etc. to read, let alone consider some of your ideas.

Don't stop though, keep punching away. I love your ideas, research and thought. Maybe something grassroots will eventually happen.

Actually my ideas have been read and strongly considered at the highest levels, but there remains difficulty in removing some roadblocks.

Grassroots is absolutely possible.

Wasn't it this very website that sparked the Trice throwbacks idea started by ISUBeatle, who said ISU personally thanked him for the inspiration? Wasn't the Jack Trice Stadium name a grassroots effort?

How to say this? There have been situations where balls are literally placed on a tee ball stand for the easiest home run swing ever and instead of swinging, some simply turn around and walk back to the dugout.

Also, those Trice Jerseys we wore a few years ago were awesome just because they were so original and ours - everyother jersey change we get has been borrowed from another idea

For clarity, the Jack Trice jersey designs wore by ISU in 1923 were a very, very common generic design with dozens of teams alone wearing them in 1923. The Hawkeye football team wore the exact same jersey design in their 1923 Minnesota game.

Attempts by *cough* anyone to claim it as a distinctive feature of a specific team remain dubious at best.

I just want a shirt with that Cy on it. Pretty please?

Delivered.

DdvJhLtV4AAdJFr.jpg

Gotta find out who the KBI is at ISU, and it certainly is not anyone on this board.

Did we somehow get swept up into a secret conspiracy? KBI? Is this like a mix of the KGB and FBI? Kagavi Bureau Investigations?

Helmet decals are cheap. And you can use them in a one game setting and never again if you want. I'd be all for this.

I'm a huge fan of doing helmet decals for easy, easy throwback options or simple homages. I would personally do a different Trice helmet themed decal every year, then every five years or so, do a full-blown Trice throwback game. Gotta have them on the road as well to spread his story beyond Iowa.

If there is true confidence at the highest levels in the existing branding package, then fun alternate one-off options shouldn't present a risk of usurping official logos, right?

Show confidence in your product.

The Bugle logo was a great start in having the idea of an one-off logo for a big game. Do it again with different logos. Let all the various logos go to retail. If one becomes really popular (read: not the bugle), then consider making it a recurring part of formal branding.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Delivered.

DdvIdNQU8AAM-Ml.jpg

Yeah, that looks good on a white helmet as a one-game tribute (shirt is good, too). One question, is choice of brown helmet on Cy meant to simulate leather helmets worn at the time? If so, it's a nice touch, but it's my least favorite part about the rushing-Cy in this case.

Not sure what I'd do instead -- yellow lid would detract from the uniform and cardinal would clash with the cardinal face. Maybe gray to match Trice stripes? Just curious.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, that looks good on a white helmet as a one-game tribute (shirt is good, too). One question, is choice of brown helmet on Cy meant to simulate leather helmets worn at the time? If so, it's a nice touch, but it's my least favorite part about the rushing-Cy in this case.

Not sure what I'd do instead -- yellow lid would detract from the uniform and cardinal would clash with the cardinal face. Maybe gray to match Trice stripes? Just curious.

I think the leather helmet is the only color that looks right with this one. Personally.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron