Tiger is back!

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
McIlroy puled off one of the best back 9's ever. He's gotta be the favorite or at least 2nd now to win the Masters.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Tiger is -6 for the day and has missed 3 pretty short birdie putts. Has been all over the pins. 2 holes still to play.

• Dislike
Reactions: Scott34 and GM4ISU

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
He just missed a 3 footer which he never missed at his peak but yes he is showing signs. Shinnecock is going to be awesome with Tiger in the mix.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Looks like Tiger may be switching putters this week. Wouldn't surprise me if he does well this week (maybe even win). Looking at the Field it's about as weak as you will get on the PGA Tour these days (not counting the late Fall tourneys).

• Optimistic
Reactions: dosry5

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like Tiger may be switching putters this week. Wouldn't surprise me if he does well this week (maybe even win). Looking at the Field it's about as weak as you will get on the PGA Tour these days (not counting the late Fall tourneys).

At the height of Tiger-mania and the golf boom this would have spiked the sale of Ardmore 3s. :rolleyes:

He's been surprising competitive after the layoff and surgeries but if if his putting didn't suck he could have been truly competitive for top spots.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
At the height of Tiger-mania and the golf boom this would have spiked the sale of Ardmore 3s. :rolleyes:

He's been surprising competitive after the layoff and surgeries but if if his putting didn't suck he could have been truly competitive for top spots.

He would have boat raced the field at The Memorial. He putted fine, even great, early on. My guess is that he just needs to see something different in alignment for a little while. That happens to a ton of players and more guys than we know have mallet style putter that they will practice with because alignment is easier and it's easier to see their lines. I'm a little surprised he didn't go to the Spider but I doubt this is a long term thing.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

If Tiger can still sell $400 shafts, he can sell a $250 putter.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If Tiger can still sell $400 shafts, he can sell a $250 putter.

Back before I torn my rotator cuff my shopping for drivers/putters/wedges (you can never have too many!) was done online or 2nd Swing when last years greatest thing was now passe and could be had for a fraction of the first cost. During the boom the store was filled with good stuff.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Back before I torn my rotator cuff my shopping for drivers/putters/wedges (you can never have too many!) was done online or 2nd Swing when last years greatest thing was now passe and could be had for a fraction of the first cost. During the boom the store was filled with good stuff.

I still just buy the new best thing because I'm stupid. I've gotten a lot better at selling though. Except putters. I rarely sell putters.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I still just buy the new best thing because I'm stupid. I've gotten a lot better at selling though. Except putters. I rarely sell putters.
Upgraded my driver to the M4 this year. Best decision I’ve made. While expensive, I’ve never been more consistent off the tees

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Not sure when he will get it done if he can't get it done this weekend at his own QLN event. Very weak field and he is already 7 shots off the lead in Day 1.

Last edited:

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

Not selling my putters either! :)

View attachment 55974

Upgraded my driver to the M4 this year. Best decision I’ve made. While expensive, I’ve never been more consistent off the tees

I'm not a club ho, but I play with a few guys who are. One in particular is the worst I've ever seen. He's had 10+ drivers this year alone. I estimate 1 out of every 5 or 6 purchases is new, the others are online used. At one time this year, he had two different Cobra drivers and an M2 on order at the same time.

He sells almost all of it then buys some more. I have no idea how much money he's lost buying and reselling clubs, but it has to have added at least a year to his retirement age. My previous driver was 4 years old and starting to get pretty beat up. I bought an Epic Sub Zero from this guy (at the same time he also owned the regular Epic). I didn't like it so he sold it for me and gave me his 2016 M2 in its' place. Probably going to hang onto this one for a few years.

It's like playing golf with a traveling GolfSmith store on premises wherever you land. I actually keep a few shafts laying around with different tips to try the different heads he has.

He currently has a 9* 2016 M2 and a 9* 2017 M2. The M2 he sold me was a 10*.

It may sound like hyperbole but I assure you it is not. I haven't seen him in three weeks and when we play together next week, I expect there will be a couple of drivers he bought, played and sold in that timespan.

And no, he is not rich. Single and lives in an 800 sq ft apartment.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
-5 now after 65 today. I'd loan him one of my vintage hickory shafts putters but it looks like he likes that new mallet putter he's using.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Random golfing observation. The LPGA players seem more concerned about sun protection than the PGA guys. It's like 107 heat index in Mpls today so killing time watching golf this afternoon. Lots of gals wearing lightweight long sleeve SPF tops and it's 93* at the LPGA's PGA Championship today. Guy are all bare armed unless it's cold or raining (think British Open). Of course the gals get to go with shorts or skirts.