What's Up With UConn?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Y'all remember Kevin Ollie's, Shabazz Napier team that beat our Kane-Ejim-Houge team in 2014, then went on to win it all as a #7 seed (I think they were 7 and we were a 9 ??) .....
and how Ollie was supposed to be first in line (before Fred) to get an NBA job? Now a couple losing seasons later and a 10-9 record this year have UConn folks wondering if he's gonna get fired.

"...
The depths the program has sunk to since then aren’t all Ollie’s fault.
The demise of the old Big East has hurt UConn more than any other program since the Huskies failed to gain membership in another power conference and couldn’t join the new Big East without orphaning their fledgling football program. Fans and recruits accustomed to UConn facing the likes of Syracuse, Georgetown and Villanova have not been nearly as enthusiastic about annual matchups with Houston, South Florida and SMU.

Injuries and unexpected defections have also undercut Ollie..."

https://sports.yahoo.com/uconns-lat...s-far-program-sunk-kevin-ollie-201114925.html

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Y'all remember Kevin Ollie's, Shabazz Napier team that beat our Kane-Ejim-Houge team in 2014, then went on to win it all as a #7 seed (I think they were 7 and we were a 9 ??) .....
and how Ollie was supposed to be first in line (before Fred) to get an NBA job? Now a couple losing seasons later and a 10-9 record this year have UConn folks wondering if he's gonna get fired.

"...
The demise of the old Big East has hurt UConn more than any other program since the Huskies failed to gain membership in another power conference and couldn’t join the new Big East without orphaning their fledgling football program. Fans and recruits accustomed to UConn facing the likes of Syracuse, Georgetown and Villanova have not been nearly as enthusiastic about annual matchups with Houston, South Florida and SMU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/uconns-lat...s-far-program-sunk-kevin-ollie-201114925.html
Sucks to suck Uconn

• Disagree
Reactions: abcguyks

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I totally forgot about Uconn until this thread. Crazy to think we were one of their last challenges before taking the 2014 national title. If only Georges didn't break his foot!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

"...

They were a 7, we were a 3. That was the year Niang landed on an NCC guy's foot and ended up with a Jones' fracture that sidelined him the rest of the tournament. That was also the year when NCC over ISU was every "experts'" upset pick in the first round.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And he got lucky with Niang's injury.

And of course, I think they had a guy come out of nowhere and have a career night while ISU just didn't play very well and still almost pulled it out.

Are they classified as a blue blood? They've had plenty of success but I'm not sure if I put them in with Duke, UK, KU, etc.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
And of course, I think they had a guy come out of nowhere and have a career night while ISU just didn't play very well and still almost pulled it out.

Are they classified as a blue blood? They've had plenty of success but I'm not sure if I put them in with Duke, UK, KU, etc.

I'm calling it blueblood success, but only for a limited time. They only mattered with Calhoun, but they were winning titles and advancing like a blueblood while he was there.

I don't think they were one. They just played like one for quite a while.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm calling it blueblood success, but only for a limited time. They only mattered with Calhoun, but they were winning titles and advancing like a blueblood while he was there.

I don't think they were one. They just played like one for quite a while.

Right...kind of a sneaky deal. They have more titles than KU or UK combined over the last 20 years but they don't have near the prestige as those or even Michigan State.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I still think it is a civics crisis that needs to be remedied that Connecticut and 5 other New England states have 12 senate seats out of 100.....all the states have the area of Minnesota. I would love to see an accurate accounting of the amount of federal largesse they bring in and gorge on....maple syrup subsidies and all.
Throw in New York and New Jersey that are just as partisan and undiverse intellectually......and there are 16 senators out of 100 that have a very narrow and selfish interest with national politics.
Screw their football team too.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
I still think it is a civics crisis that needs to be remedied that Connecticut and 5 other New England states have 12 senate seats out of 100.....all the states have the area of Minnesota. I would love to see an accurate accounting of the amount of federal largesse they bring in and gorge on....maple syrup subsidies and all.
Throw in New York and New Jersey that are just as partisan and undiverse intellectually......and there are 16 senators out of 100 that have a very narrow and selfish interest with national politics.
Screw their football team too.

Uh politics board? Also should Alaska have the most senators in your mind or what?

• Optimistic
Reactions: dirtyninety

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They were a 7, we were a 3. That was the year Niang landed on an NCC guy's foot and ended up with a Jones' fracture that sidelined him the rest of the tournament. That was also the year when NCC over ISU was every "experts'" upset pick in the first round.

Still annoys me.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Heck, remember last year when Nevada was a lock for the 12-5 upset?

Good times.