Hinterland 2017

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Ah, see, I'd seen the standing there/playing individually in the lights sort of like an homage to Daft Punk or one of those electronic types of bands. They would have been lost in the light show, too, I think - I'm going to guess a lot of the reason they stood there was so that the video effects would work. I love their music, too, so I might have also been more forgiving due to that - but I thought the style was very sleek and modern. On the other hand, I thought Ryan Adams' performance was awkward - his sound was a little off, and he always seems like he's very meek, saying something like "thank you" super-muted so you can't hear him. I think part of it may just be preference?
Oh yeah, totally just a preference. I love bands that are more free flowing on stage. I do see the appeal, but it just isn't for me. I just came out of it thinking "If I had wanted to hear their music really loud I would've just put my headphones in and cranked the volume"

The light show was cool but really limited their mobility on stage. I was pretty up close so the video stuff was pointless unless I wanted to really crane my neck. That may have been part of it too.

Reactions: Angie

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
That's a pretty solid list - and I'm so excited to be seeing Old 97s in DSM in October! A few more I'd add:

Son Little
The 1975 (they're a little more glam, but fun)
Father John Misty
Fleet Foxes
J Roddy Walston and the Business
Fleet Foxes
Avett Bros
Bahamas

Many of them have sort of a similar vibe. I'll just be happy if I never see or hear of Foxygen again.
That dude was weird

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wishlist items for next year for me....
Beck
Ryan Bingham
Lucero
Social Distortion
American Aquarium
Langhorne Slim
Old 97's
Sturgil Simpson
Cory Branan
I could go further but this seems up the alley of the target genre he is focusing on....

Alabama Shakes
Anderson .Paak
Hiss Golden Messenger
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oh yeah, totally just a preference. I love bands that are more free flowing on stage. I do see the appeal, but it just isn't for me. I just came out of it thinking "If I had wanted to hear their music really loud I would've just put my headphones in and cranked the volume"

The light show was cool but really limited their mobility on stage. I was pretty up close so the video stuff was pointless unless I wanted to really crane my neck. That may have been part of it too.

Oh, man, that would have sucked up-close. We were back up on the hill - I only ever went down for Gary Clark, and got super-close. Yeah, that was a visual spectacle - from a distance.
That dude was weird

RIGHT?! My girlfriend who was coming with me had said that she was interested to see them before we went. I had tried to listen to them ahead of time, and had thought they were hella weird even before getting there. But he was just straight-up AWFUL. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Oh, man, that would have sucked up-close. We were back up on the hill - I only ever went down for Gary Clark, and got super-close. Yeah, that was a visual spectacle - from a distance.

RIGHT?! My girlfriend who was coming with me had said that she was interested to see them before we went. I had tried to listen to them ahead of time, and had thought they were hella weird even before getting there. But he was just straight-up AWFUL. I'm glad it wasn't just me.
Did you see the semi-temper tantrum he threw? He was asking what the next song was, the guitarist told him, and he was like...no I don't want to play that song. At one point during the song he was screaming (off mic so inaudible).

Everyone around us honestly didn't know if he was being serious or if it was just part of their charade. So so weird.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
On the other hand, I thought Ryan Adams' performance was awkward - his sound was a little off, and he always seems like he's very meek, saying something like "thank you" super-muted so you can't hear him. I think part of it may just be preference?

I'm still trying to sort it out. I think there were a couple things working against him for his set -

Gary Clark Jr. ******* destroyed it in the set before. Hard to top.

The first act hit the stage at 12:30 that afternoon. Nine hours later, not very many people were going to be up for a two hour set. If he had kept it a tight 45-minutes to an hour and laid off the mid-song jam sessions, it would have fit in better with the framework of the festival. We left the stage area around 10 or a little after and walked back up the hill, and it was just littered with bodies. People were tired, drunk, or both.

As for his stage presence, I've seen him five times and he's really hit or miss live. This is just me playing armchair psychologist, but I think the quality of his show is very dependent on what kind of place he's in in his life. I don't think he's the type who can put away their personal stuff and put up a good front when the lights go up - showmen like Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney, you know....when they go on stage, those guys are on. When he's up it's a good, tight show. When he's down or deeply reflective, the show wanders and it's hard to stay engaged.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Did you see the semi-temper tantrum he threw? He was asking what the next song was, the guitarist told him, and he was like...no I don't want to play that song. At one point during the song he was screaming (off mic so inaudible).

Everyone around us honestly didn't know if he was being serious or if it was just part of their charade. So so weird.

YES. I also don't know - I mean, clearly "f**king weird" is their thing, but that was just... too much. I don't know what was up with them, but it's like he's got some weird personality disorder or something. It was just awkward and awful. Oh, hallelujah that you guys agreed that it was weird/bad. I thought I was just being judgmental, especially with the tantrum.

I'm still trying to sort it out. I think there were a couple things working against him for his set -

Gary Clark Jr. ******* destroyed it in the set before. Hard to top.

The first act hit the stage at 12:30 that afternoon. Nine hours later, not very many people were going to be up for a two hour set. If he had kept it a tight 45-minutes to an hour and laid off the mid-song jam sessions, it would have fit in better with the framework of the festival. We left the stage area around 10 or a little after and walked back up the hill, and it was just littered with bodies. People were tired, drunk, or both.

As for his stage presence, I've seen him five times and he's really hit or miss live. This is just me playing armchair psychologist, but I think the quality of his show is very dependent on what kind of place he's in in his life. I don't think he's the type who can put away their personal stuff and put up a good front when the lights go up - showmen like Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney, you know....when they go on stage, those guys are on. When he's up it's a good, tight show. When he's down or deeply reflective, the show wanders and it's hard to stay engaged.

I think you nailed it - first of all, you don't put GC, Jr right before him (you said it before, and I said the EXACT same thing to my girlfriend that night). That is just setting Ryan up for failure by comparison, you know? I don't know that Gary's ever had a bad set live, that's where he's at home - you can't put a hit-or-miss performer headlining after him. And you're right - we were SO done by that time of night, and I had exactly one drink all day - my friends were drunk AND tired, and it was just too much.

And I also think you're right on Ryan. This is only the second time I've ever seen him, and it was also pretty wandering and quiet. I also wonder if he has a lot of natural shyness - he just seemed so meek both times I've seen him. But you're right, he's not a guy who was born to gyrate on stage. He's not that style.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Wishlist items for next year for me....
Beck
Ryan Bingham
Lucero
Social Distortion
American Aquarium
Langhorne Slim
Old 97's
Sturgil Simpson
Cory Branan
I could go further but this seems up the alley of the target genre he is focusing on....

That's a pretty solid list - and I'm so excited to be seeing Old 97s in DSM in October! A few more I'd add:

Son Little
Father John Misty
Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes
Avett Bros
Bahamas

Many of them have sort of a similar vibe. I'll just be happy if I never see or hear of Foxygen again.

Alabama Shakes
Anderson .Paak
Hiss Golden Messenger
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats

A whole lot of YES on these lists!

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Son Little
Father John Misty
Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes
Avett Bros
Bahamas

Fleet Foxes tomorrow night in KC, you could make it!

• Friendly
Reactions: cyguy9320 and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Fleet Foxes tomorrow night in KC, you could make it!

Oh my gosh, I'm going to go google ticket prices. I wonder if I could get this afternoon off... I'd seen that they were going on tour, but hadn't thought to re-check and see where they'd be. YOU ROCK!

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Sorry for the dead thread resurrection, but did Hinterland ever put out a 2017 shirt, or were they still selling 2016 shirts both days?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Never too early to start speculating for 2018. Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats announced a US tour this summer. They're in KC on August 3 and St. Paul on August 5. Hinterland is Aug 3 and 4th this year. Saturday night headliner, perhaps?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Never too early to start speculating for 2018. Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats announced a US tour this summer. They're in KC on August 3 and St. Paul on August 5. Hinterland is Aug 3 and 4th this year. Saturday night headliner, perhaps?
There's a gal I work with who had the same theory. I think he's also playing Codfish Hollow in late August/Early September. I wonder if he'd do two shows in Iowa that close to each other.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
There's a gal I work with who had the same theory. I think he's also playing Codfish Hollow in late August/Early September. I wonder if he'd do two shows in Iowa that close to each other.

I don't know. It's just some speculation for fun. If it was for real then it'd be the only time on the just-released tour schedule where they play three nights in a row, so maybe that makes it a very long shot.

I don't see the Codfish Hollow show listed on the tour dates released yesterday but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'd make that trip for sure.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't know. It's just some speculation for fun. If it was for real then it'd be the only time on the just-released tour schedule where they play three nights in a row, so maybe that makes it a very long shot.

I don't see the Codfish Hollow show listed on the tour dates released yesterday but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'd make that trip for sure.
They apparently love that place, and have played it several times. He gave an interview where he said they basically were going to have a standing gig there in early September every year.

Reactions: jbindm

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Jack White is free August 3rd or 4th.... August 6th in Minneapolis.....

I have a feeling that a few of them will come from this list because similar to Shakey Graves last year they play in town in the spring.... Lucero, Whiskey Myer, and Colter Wall......

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron