Hinterland 2017

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Now that is a solid lineup. Really wanted to go last year but didn't plan far enough in advance and was bummed to miss Willie and Lamontagne. Not going to make the same mistake twice! Would love to hear from others who have been to Hinterland. Overall impressions are fine and would you recommend taking young kids? By then my girls will be almost 4 and 18 months.

Reactions: Angie

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Now that is a solid lineup. Really wanted to go last year but didn't plan far enough in advance and was bummed to miss Willie and Lamontagne. Not going to make the same mistake twice! Would love to hear from others who have been to Hinterland. Overall impressions are fine and would you recommend taking young kids? By then my girls will be almost 4 and 18 months.
I have been both years, and would definitely recommend going to this festival, it is family friendly, though the amphitheater location is a bit odd. I do feel like this festival will move to DSM when the waterworks redesign project gets complete enough. It really is a beautiful location, plus you add how great this lineup is and you have to go.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I am pumped. I saw Ryan Adams a few years ago at CY, and Shakey this past fall, and love them both in concert. Ryan is very earnest, but Shakey just exudes showmanship. He's even better live than he is on his albums. Plus HOLY **** is he hot.

I'm also excited about alt-J.

How does @Mr Janny feel about this?

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Do the do a country night and a non-country night?

Stereotyps-Bakersfield-2.jpg

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I have been both years, and would definitely recommend going to this festival, it is family friendly, though the amphitheater location is a bit odd. I do feel like this festival will move to DSM when the waterworks redesign project gets complete enough. It really is a beautiful location, plus you add how great this lineup is and you have to go.
Thanks for the info! If you think of any helpful tips like things you wish you would have known before going, please fill me in!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I am pumped. I saw Ryan Adams a few years ago at CY, and Shakey this past fall, and love them both in concert. Ryan is very earnest, but Shakey just exudes showmanship. He's even better live than he is on his albums. Plus HOLY **** is he hot.

I'm also excited about alt-J.

I was at that Ryan Adams show, too. It was the fourth time I've seen him, and probably his best effort of the four. Age has really mellowed him out. Or weed. Probably both.

Missed the Shakey Graves show but super excited to catch him this time around. The Head and the Heart has been very hit or miss since their first album, which I love. Never seen Gary Clark Jr but I've heard nothing but good things about his live shows.

• Friendly

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

What's the story on seating and bottled water and what's allowed in? My parents went last summer and they swear that people were allowed to bring in beach chairs. From what I could gather the list of what was and was not allowed was not consistent with what was being allowed in the day of the show.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'd go for Shakey and Gary. Looks like a real good lineup.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
What's the story on seating and bottled water and what's allowed in? My parents went last summer and they swear that people were allowed to bring in beach chairs. From what I could gather the list of what was and was not allowed was not consistent with what was being allowed in the day of the show.

Thanks for the info! If you think of any helpful tips like things you wish you would have known before going, please fill me in!

Chair-wise, I brought nothing, the new thing is those inflatable tube chairs, some people did bring like bleacher chairs, in general the grounds are pretty choppy and dirty and it all funnels down to the stage at a decline, in general bring comfy shoes because the food and booze is mostly outside the bowl. Empty water bottles are allowed there is a filling spot that is never too busy. If you don't want to deal with parking which is a bit of mess I would recommend the bus from South Ridge Mall. Just make sure you get on the right one going home, we jump on the one that was trolling people from ground to town for parking and all it did was burn time... Last few suggestions bring a decent amount of money, food and booze was bit pricey, but this is a $95 2-day concert with this lineup in DSM, can't beat it.... also sunblock is a must it is early August.....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Bump, this is coming up here in early August. Very excited for this show.... Waiting to see if I end up going on Friday and Saturday or just Saturday..... Alt-J is the big one I would like to see Friday. Saturday's lineup is one of the best I think of any local festival that I have ever seen....
Ryan Adams
Gary Clark, Jr
Dwight Yoakum
Shakey Graves
Nikki Lane
JD McPherson

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Bump, this is coming up here in early August. Very excited for this show.... Waiting to see if I end up going on Friday and Saturday or just Saturday..... Alt-J is the big one I would like to see Friday. Saturday's lineup is one of the best I think of any local festival that I have ever seen....
Ryan Adams
Gary Clark, Jr
Dwight Yoakum
Shakey Graves
Nikki Lane
JD McPherson

While I like The Head and the Heart, Alt+J is the one I'm most excited for on Friday. I am pumped about Saturday, though - Gary Clark, Jr and Shakey are my most-exciting.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So getting into the mood for this festival I did a deep dive into Dwight Yoakam today..... I was surprised to see in 2012 he released an album he co-produced with Beck, it is called 3 Pears, would recommend a list is pretty great. Also did not realize the pure about of cover albums he has, love the concept of this is twangy sound here is my cover of 'Purple Rain' for example.... I am now an even bigger fan, also loving a lot of the really old tracks, pretty much all about being Whiskey drunk and heart broken though....
Also an under-card that I don't think is getting enough credit right now, Nikki Lane, give here top track on Spotify a listen(Jackpot) and try to come back and tell me you aren't a little hooked... She has an old country Lorretta Line type sound, but a little edgier and a little more modern....

• Informative

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Bump, This Friday and Saturday, here is too great music, heavy drinking and hopeful good weather.....

• Winner

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Bump, This Friday and Saturday, here is too great music, heavy drinking and hopeful good weather.....

I am bringing a poncho, sunscreen, and bug spray - might as well be covered on all fronts!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron