Is the Brewery era over?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
does that include all start up costs, equipment, labor? I'm a home brewer, if I don't factor in anything other than ingredients, it looks like a pretty cheap way to enjoy beer. If I factor in my time and equipment costs, well, I know why it's a hobby and not a business. No way they are making beer for 8 cents a glass when you factor in every cost that would go along with the business.

I know guys that started a pretty hi-tech 10 barrel brewery. They do pretty well here in the burbs of Chicago with their own beer. They also do a ton of contract brewing, to help subsidize the equipment, which was a little more than your standard craft brewery because they chose to go computerized off the bat. It took them 5 years to actually turn a profit and it wasn't much until recently.

I have no idea...Do know they have done a lot of non traditional things securing equipment, real estate, and labor. My guess is their cost of operation is significantly lower than most microbreweries.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I have no idea...Do know they have done a lot of non traditional things securing equipment, real estate, and labor. My guess is their cost of operation is significantly lower than most microbreweries.

I’d be interested in knowing some of those non traditional things. Getting licensed to brew and sell beer is not an easy task. You have to prove you own or rent a commercial space, own the brewing equipment you say you do and have to prove you are going through the normal channels to pay your workforce for all the insurance you have to carry. Not calling your friend a liar, I am genuinely interested. If I could brew beer for 8¢ A pint, I would definitely start a brewery.

Most numbers I looked into are well into the $3/pint range, on the low end, after you add all operating costs. Most breweries, relying on tap room sales for business, use their base beers as a break even point and charge more for the specialty beers to hopefully boost profit.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I stick to Bud Light and Mich Light. Low price and everyone has them. Micro Beer, Craft Beer, or whatever beer generally has a bad after taste to me and gives me a headache. Not sure why.

Reactions: urb1

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Wondering if the era of new microbreweries is at its end? What do you think?

Within the last few days, these announced closings:
- Broad Street Brewing in Rheinbeck, Iowa.
- Another Road Brewing in Marion, Iowa (uncertain about their 'new' brewing facility in Cedar Rapids)
- Rock Bottom in Des Moines (to close Feb 4).
Put 1,000 guys on an island with 500 ladies and they aren't all getting laid. It's a numbers/quality game.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I stick to Bud Light and Mich Light. Low price and everyone has them. Micro Beer, Craft Beer, or whatever beer generally has a bad after taste to me and gives me a headache. Not sure why.
Because you like water. :)

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I’d be interested in knowing some of those non traditional things. Getting licensed to brew and sell beer is not an easy task. You have to prove you own or rent a commercial space, own the brewing equipment you say you do and have to prove you are going through the normal channels to pay your workforce for all the insurance you have to carry. Not calling your friend a liar, I am genuinely interested. If I could brew beer for 8¢ A pint, I would definitely start a brewery.

Most numbers I looked into are well into the $3/pint range, on the low end, after you add all operating costs. Most breweries, relying on tap room sales for business, use their base beers as a break even point and charge more for the specialty beers to hopefully boost profit.

They use an old farm milk cooler that they bought for $300 to do initial batch. Roller mill came out of feed industry. Motor that powers it was bought at an auction for next to nothing. Fermentation tanks came out of China. Cooler actually use window a/c units that are tricked into cooling cooler than they normally operate. It's nothing fancy, but passes code, is extremely clean, and let's them spend the money on quality ingredients. They hired very few contractors to do the work and did almost everything themselves. I may have the 8 cents a glass figure wrong, but am sure whatever it is was under 20 cents...My guess that is simply product cost and overhead needs to come off too, but they don't have a lot stuck in overhead and those are fixed costs that will get lower with the more beer they sell.

Back to my original point $8 a glass that some of the places charge seems excessive, but hey it's a free country and they are charging what the market will bear. I would think demand is elastic however and will limit sales, but it hasn't seemed to yet...

Last edited:

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

The specialty and limited releases can make some big money if you have a tasty beer. TG will be selling 1500 two packs of Assassin bombers for $100 and they won’t last even one day. I realize not everyone can brew like TG does but the potential is there if you can.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The specialty and limited releases can make some big money if you have a tasty beer. TG will be selling 1500 two packs of Assassin bombers for $100 and they won’t last even one day. I realize not everyone can brew like TG does but the potential is there if you can.

I think that's crazy, but obviously they have a good product that beer snobs will pay for. This consumer will use his $100 to buy a lot of other things (including some good beer.).

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Have friends who are building 2 barrel brewery/taproom. They own the space. Spent at least 20,000 on electrical/plumbing, structural remodel. At least another twenty thousand on cold room, brew in bag system, two brite tanks, draft system. In the neighborhood of another ten or twelve thousand on kegs, industrial pump, four plastic fermenters with CIP options, etc.They believe they can produce a pint for less than a quarter. All depends on how much goes out the front door.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Probably alcohol content. Most of the crafts are double that of Bud or Mich and they're not something you're going to sit around and pound all day like the macros.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Have friends who are building 2 barrel brewery/taproom. They own the space. Spent at least 20,000 on electrical/plumbing, structural remodel. At least another twenty thousand on cold room, brew in bag system, two brite tanks, draft system. In the neighborhood of another ten or twelve thousand on kegs, industrial pump, four plastic fermenters with CIP options, etc.They believe they can produce a pint for less than a quarter. All depends on how much goes out the front door.

They would probably be better off renting the space out. My guess is making the beer isn't the expensive part.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
They’re doing ok. Building has three other rent paying tenants. This is the last undeveloped space.