Sullivan- Settles Fanatic hour

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've tried to listen to the Sage/Long show too. Really enjoy Sage and Jakes takes along with the hawk guys too. But Anthony and I think Roy or something that call in every show and it's just bad radio. What a waste of broadcast minutes. Why take calls at all. Just don't get it. So however said just don't listen is correct.
Taking calls is lazy radio but is done everywhere.

Taking twitter questions would be a step up because you could weed out the stupid ones. Caller driven radio is only as smart as the dumbest caller. Well, good luck with that.

The morning show has Travis so the bar is low and all callers are welcomed.

Reactions: cyclonepsycho23

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Majority of show talking about the loser Hawkeye basketball. Why? Jake spends most of his time also breaking down Hawks. As a Cyclone not worth the listen. The state's top program every year not near as interesting to them I guess.
Why do douche bags watch the Kardashians or Laban ball? Bc it's a train wreck , just like iowa ball. People want to kńow why Iowa sucks

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Taking calls is lazy radio but is done everywhere.

Taking twitter questions would be a step up because you could weed out the stupid ones. Caller driven radio is only as smart as the dumbest caller. Well, good luck with that.

The morning show has Travis so the bar is low and all callers are welcomed.

I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to fill three hours of radio time five days a week without taking callers. Not everybody is Colin Cowherd or Dan Patrick.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've caught bits of this since they first started it a couple years ago. I've always enjoyed it. My experience is that it's been pretty even. I think it would be weighted more toward ISU talk, but callers are overwhelmingly hawk fans. Jake certainly comes off as more knowledgeable but I kind of like Settles. He has some good insights, loves to poke fun at his endless eligibility, and was talking about getting excited to go to a ge at Hilton but was not looking forward to Flashbacks of Cato swatting his shots 10 rows deep.
Taking calls is just horrible radio, as is Chuck Long. Having him comment about anything other than the Iowa game is literally no different than asking a random guy in a bar in Boca Raton what he thought of the game because he just saw the ISU score on the crawl.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The biggest basketball story in the state is how bad Iowa is, when it should be more about what ISU is doing. Even though the media in the state made up this fake narrative that Iowa was going to be good this year in Basketball. ISU basketball always seems to take the back seat to what ever Iowa is doing because, really what they are doing its not a surprise.

It was an interesting show with Jake and Jared taking shots at Fran and his rotation. I would also like to add Jared does do a good job talking BB on that show.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
The biggest basketball story in the state is how bad Iowa is, when it should be more about what ISU is doing. Even though the media in the state made up this fake narrative that Iowa was going to be good this year in Basketball. ISU basketball always seems to take the back seat to what ever Iowa is doing because, really what they are doing its not a surprise.

It was an interesting show with Jake and Jared taking shots at Fran and his rotation. I would also like to add Jared does do a good job talking BB on that show.

Hey, thanks. Not sure if anyone has ever noticed but I really like to talk about basketball. I could do it 24 hours a day, seven days a week if possible.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to fill three hours of radio time five days a week without taking callers. Not everybody is Colin Cowherd or Dan Patrick.
I think you could get or derive some interesting questions via Twitter, etc. rather than have Don from Mingo tell Chuck Long he remembers watching them beat Michigan in '85.
Here's my free advice to those that determine local sports radio content. There are a few things no one has ever said in the history of sports radio:
-that caller was really well spoken, concise, and raised an excellent question
-I wish Sandy Hatfield Clubb was still around to give a weekly rundown of Drake women's tennis each week. 30 minutes well spent.
-While I do enjoy going to Barnstormer, Wild, and I Cub games, it's mostly important to me that they win, so I'm glad to catch a broadcast of the games and can't get enough interviews with their coaches so I can stay on top of all the ins and outs of the teams.
-Turn it up, I want to hear Travis has to say about this.

• Funny
Reactions: wonkadog and Cycsk

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I imagine Anthony as this guy from dodgeball talking about obscure sports

T2eC16JHJHIE9nysd6YLBQCRywZM6g60_35.jpg

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

Hey, thanks. Not sure if anyone has ever noticed but I really like to talk about basketball. I could do it 24 hours a day, seven days a week if possible.

What?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I just can't do sports talk radio. It's been hard for me to listen to all the CF podcasts lately.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Listen to the first 20 minutes. Then when they start taking callers turn it off. The guys that call in just to sniff Chuck Longs jock are just flat out awful.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Thank god. I prefer callers.
I'm sure it's hard as hell but it lowers the bar letting callers in. There are ways to get better questions and opinions even when caller driven.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Personally I like hearing about how bad Iowa is. ISU has played a schedule that's barely worth talking about, frankly.