Sullivan- Settles Fanatic hour

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
Ha! Those two people I'm have some issues So I kinda feel bad
Listen to the first 20 minutes. Then when they start taking callers turn it off. The guys that call in just to sniff Chuck Longs jock are just flat out awful.

This is what I did in football season after 2 shows and what I will do moving forward. Remember Chuck Long and Jess Settles are Williams childhood hero's too! So between Ross, Anthony and Williams we have a weekly love fest that needs time. Honestly it's clear Sage and Jake are the most entertaining and knowledgeable overall but Settles and Long do a good job when sticking to hawk analysis.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do the call screeners for these shows ever not put someone on the air? It does seem that the bar gets set pretty low sometimes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You don’t realize how horrible the local media is until you move out of state. The Kremlin’s press corp is more objective.

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think you nailed it that the real “problem” is the callers. I’m pretty inconsistent with listening, but it feels like they just get more Hawk fans that want to hear themselves talk. It was especially bad when I’d catch it for football and you’d get those old dudes rambling on to Long about some random game from his playing days. If I happen to get in the car in time for the first segment where it’s just CW and Ross asking questions, it’s a decent show and pretty balanced.

When you read this as 'too long' it still makes sense.

Sorry, I'm probably the only person that thinks that's kinda cool.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I would like to listen to this but cannot find it. Can anyone help me out please.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Wow. Tough crowd. I really enjoy listening to the show. Jake and Jess have terrific insight that comes from a player's point of view. Enjoy Sage and Chuck too. As far as callers go, the show is also broadcast on a station in Iowa City so I assume that is why there is a rush of Hawkeye callers after a bad basketball or football game.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hey bet you guys didn't know Anthony got to meet his idol Chuck Long!

My favorite Anthony call was last year during football season. Chuck challenged Anthony to come up with a question to ask Sage on next weeks show. The following Monday rolls around and like clock work my man A$ is the first call. The A-Train comes on the air with "question for you Chuck blah blah blah 1986 Rose Bowl blah blah blah go hawks and I'll hang up and listen." Chuck, Sage, and Ross all immediately started laughing because Anthony completed snubbed Sage.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My favorite Anthony call was last year during football season. Chuck challenged Anthony to come up with a question to ask Sage on next weeks show. The following Monday rolls around and like clock work my man A$ is the first call. The A-Train comes on the air with "question for you Chuck blah blah blah 1986 Rose Bowl blah blah blah go hawks and I'll hang up and listen." Chuck, Sage, and Ross all immediately started laughing because Anthony completed snubbed Sage.

It is a hilarious running joke now. He literally acts like Jake and Sage do not exist. I can't tell if he is in on the joke, but I don't think so. I think the guy literally has Hawk blinders on.

My favorite was this year when they are trying to get Anthony to meet Chuck at the book signing. Anthony says great, and then asks Ross to call his dad to give him directions. Following week when he calls in "Ross, did you call my dad yet with the directions?" Lol!

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It is a hilarious running joke now. He literally acts like Jake and Sage do not exist. I can't tell if he is in on the joke, but I don't think so. I think the guy literally has Hawk blinders on.

My favorite was this year when they are trying to get Anthony to meet Chuck at the book signing. Anthony says great, and then asks Ross to call his dad to give him directions. Following week when he calls in "Ross, did you call my dad yet with the directions?" Lol!
That was solid. Obviously the dude is not all there... I can recall a show last year when he invited either Chuck or Jess to stop by sometime and meet his family.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Wow. Tough crowd. I really enjoy listening to the show. Jake and Jess have terrific insight that comes from a player's point of view. Enjoy Sage and Chuck too. As far as callers go, the show is also broadcast on a station in Iowa City so I assume that is why there is a rush of Hawkeye callers after a bad basketball or football game.
Ya, I think it's a decent show too. The format is to have both Cyclone and Hawkeye insight so ya gotta expect a little hok talk and some nights there might be more than others. You don't like it change the channel.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

One week he was asked to simply acknowledge Sage's existence the following week and he still couldn't do it. He literally could have said "hey Chuck; A man here. I love you and want to have your babies even though I am a man and **** you Sage" and that would have counted.

The Hawk fans that call into Chuck all remind me of this

150522_2868143_The_Chris_Farley_Show__McCartney.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I'm not a fan of Chuck's but he really tried to keep Anthony from being a toolbag. Even just saying 'hello Sage' one time . . .

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I only caught the first block last night but I thought they spent way too much time breaking down why Iowa sucks. They don't have a competent PG and Fran can't manage his rotation. Done. Next topic.

But overall I usually enjoy the show. It's always interesting to get former players' takes on what's going on in both programs. I could stand for fewer listener calls; most of them drag the show down. I like another poster's idea of sifting through Twitter or facebook to pick a few good questions out before the show. Keep up the good work, guys.