Who Starts First Game Of Conference Play?

NWB and/or/nor Lewis?

• Total voters

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
No way Babb doesn't start. You could see flashes of him getting his confidence to start slashing the lane with reckless abandon. Too bad he was fouled almost flagrantly without call in some of those situations. I think you will see him take that Nader role over, and be dunking with authority when he sees the lane. Nick has real athleticism and he just needs that Kane like edge to take the next step.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy and Doc

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that the main hesitation for me in starting NWB is that there is very little depth at PG/SG. If he starts, then I'm guessing Lewis is the first guy off the bench and Wigginton comes out, moving DJack to PG. Then Wigginton goes in for Jackson to give him a rest. IMO if Jackson or Wigginton get injured, they are in big time trouble. F'ing McNeal.

• Agree
Reactions: woodm07

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think that the main hesitation for me in starting NWB is that there is very little depth at PG/SG. If he starts, then I'm guessing Lewis is the first guy off the bench and Wigginton comes out, moving DJack to PG. Then Wigginton goes in for Jackson to give him a rest. IMO if Jackson or Wigginton get injured, they are in big time trouble. F'ing McNeal.

Jackson and Wigginton very well might be our two best players. If one of them were to miss significant time during the Big 12 season, we're likely screwed anyways.

If that did happen, I imagine you move NWB to the 2 and hope he worked on his shot this summer. The guy can play 1-4 and guard at least that at some level of effectiveness. Then, you pull one of the bench wings... Lewis, Talley, Beverly, and let's not forget Jakolby Long... into the starting lineup and go one more man deeper in your rotation and hope for the best.

Last edited:

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I assume Nick will start, but will be the first to the bench. May only play 10mpg at the 3 and 15+ from the 2 as back up. Lewis and Long will be available if something goes wrong.

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
No way Babb doesn't start. You could see flashes of him getting his confidence to start slashing the lane with reckless abandon. Too bad he was fouled almost flagrantly without call in some of those situations. I think you will see him take that Nader role over, and be dunking with authority when he sees the lane. Nick has real athleticism and he just needs that Kane like edge to take the next step.

I don’t disagree that Babb will be the starter early in the season, but he is really going to have to step it up to stay ahead of Lewis. Not only do we need to defend, but we need to score to win. Lewis is long, athletic and is an exceptionally explosive slasher. The last time I looked he was also shooting over 50% from beyond the arc! Yes, he is young, but the guy can score in variety of ways and I expect him to be aggressive on the offensive glass.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: isu2014 and Seedman

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don’t disagree that Babb will be the starter early in the season, but he is really going to have to step it up to stay ahead of Lewis. Not only do we need to defend, but we need to score to win. Lewis is long, athletic and is an exceptionally explosive slasher. The last time I looked he was also shooting over 50% from beyond the arc! Yes, he is young, but the guy can score in variety of ways and I expect him to be aggressive on the offensive glass.
I wouldn't bet your rainy day fund on a true freshman. I hope he is as great as everyone says, but the learning curve is large, and Babb should be hungry, with age, experience, maturity(physically and mentally) we need veteram leadership. Nick can do it all. He is a Dustin Hogue with ball skills. As long as Nick works on his 3-pointer he is going to be dangerous.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
I wouldn't bet your rainy day fund on a true freshman. I hope he is as great as everyone says, but the learning curve is large, and Babb should be hungry, with age, experience, maturity(physically and mentally) we need veteram leadership. Nick can do it all. He is a Dustin Hogue with ball skills. As long as Nick works on his 3-pointer he is going to be dangerous.

For the sake of our team, I hope you are right! Time, talent and dedication will tell the tale.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I agree. I think a fair expectation for Lewis would be a season similar to Matt T's freshman season. Matt played pretty well that year, but definitely needed some time to mature and improve at some aspects of the game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I agree. I think a fair expectation for Lewis would be a season similar to Matt T's freshman season. Matt played pretty well that year, but definitely needed some time to mature and improve at some aspects of the game.

Matt didn't play pretty well his freshman or sophomore year. I'm guessing Terrence outperforms that.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames

There’s an abundance of speculation, conjecture and theory here and you can bet your bottom dollar that no one has the ability to see around the corner of time. Still, a warrior looks at adversity the way a lion looks at lunch. So, I am counting on this group of Cyclones to play like a potent team of winners and warriors! Go Cyclones!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Matt didn't play pretty well his freshman or sophomore year. I'm guessing Terrence outperforms that.

I think he was pretty solid as a frosh but suffered from high expectations and Naz was amazing and earned all the minutes. I do hope Lewis plays better than Matt's soph year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think Lard takes Beverlys spot. Talley is going to have to fight off Long for minutes right now because I don't see Wigginton, Babb or Jackson being able to sit a lot. The way things are going, this bodes well for the future.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think Lard takes Beverlys spot. Talley is going to have to fight off Long for minutes right now because I don't see Wigginton, Babb or Jackson being able to sit a lot. The way things are going, this bodes well for the future.

Young, Lard, Wiggy, DJax & NWB are our best five, but I believe Tally will start at the 4 until Lards learns to defend w/o contact. (Displacement I think is a more accurate term)

If Long plays the season like he did tonight he's national 6th man of the year, but we probably need to wait for a bigger sample.

15 minutes out of Brase give us a nice 8 man rotation.

Beverly I see more as insurance.

I think Prohm's speech about Naz average one point/game as a freshman was directed at Lewis to keep working. Personally I see him at some point turning the corner and provide needed spark.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't think NWB is in question anymore

NW-B stat line so far:
PPG: 17.0
RPG: 7.8
APG: 5.0
FG%: .615
3pt%: .533
FT%: .706
A/T ratio: 2.0
Steals: 1.0

That's a starting-5 slam-dunk.

Some of his averages are likely to drop as competition stiffens. Once general rotation gets a bit more established, his minutes-per game (38.5) may be reduced a little, too.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
At this point the question is will Wigs continue to start by conference games? When it came to crunch time vs Tulsa he was on the bench. His defense needs works so does he outside shot. With Lard and Hans can afford to put Beverly/Talley at the 3. Donny Jack clearly plays better off the ball. With Nick at point and no other PG maybe bring Wigs off the bench to give Nick a breather.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Young, Lard, Wiggy, DJax & NWB are our best five, but I believe Tally will start at the 4 until Lards learns to defend w/o contact. (Displacement I think is a more accurate term)

If Long plays the season like he did tonight he's national 6th man of the year, but we probably need to wait for a bigger sample.

15 minutes out of Brase give us a nice 8 man rotation.

Beverly I see more as insurance.

I think Prohm's speech about Naz average one point/game as a freshman was directed at Lewis to keep working. Personally I see him at some point turning the corner and provide needed spark.

Lard can do it... the game against App State he did very well at not fouling, and was our best defender.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lard can do it... the game against App State he did very well at not fouling, and was our best defender.
I hope Young and Lard don’t continue to get picked on by the refs.

He’s got the most natural defensively ability that I can recall in a Cyclone post.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron