MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Asking @CyJack13 if I'm allowed to accurately point out a horrific call that could still affect the game.

While you're at it please tell me again how I must not understand the rules even though you're probably 20-25 years younger than me.

If I have permission I'd like to observe this as a horrible call.

Well you think the blocking call applies to any base and not just home plate so...
You can impede a runner on any base idiot.

Came for the Cubs game, stayed for the cat fight

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonestans

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Beat Kershaw tomorrow somehow, and you’re set up with Lester and Hendricks for 6 and 7 and you never know. Reminds me a bit of the Indians series last year.

Reactions: YeahBuddy

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Beat Kershaw tomorrow somehow, and you’re set up with Lester and Hendricks for 6 and 7 and you never know. Reminds me a bit of the Indians series last year.

Cubs win tomorrow and we will win the series. If this thing goes back to LA, the pressure ramps up big time on the Dodgers.

Reactions: HoustonClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Cubs win tomorrow and we will win the series. If this thing goes back to LA, the pressure ramps up big time on the Dodgers.
I wouldn't go that far... The Cubs could take a lead into the 8th inning of Game 7 and I wouldn't be confident they will win.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

Facing Kershaw when he has very little pressure on him is a.bit scary.

Also, what's the ratio of close umpire judgement calls that have gone against the Cubs in this series? 8-1?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Facing Kershaw when he has very little pressure on him is a.bit scary.

Also, what's the ratio of close umpire judgement calls that have gone against the Cubs in this series? 8-1?

I thought the guys strike zone last night was severely favoring left handed pitching, especially when facing right handed batters. He just couldn't figure out where the outside corner was. During one of Russell's early ABs, he called strike 1 on a pitch 6 inches off the outside corner, then strike 2 on a pitch 4 inches off the inside corner! YOU CAN"T BE MISSING BOTH CORNERS THAT BADLY!

I said this last night... this is one of the biggest reasons for Robo-umps. Some umpires really struggle to have a consistent strike zone when you have a righty vs lefty pitching matchup. One pitcher always ends up getting a more pitcher friendly strike zone than the other.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That is a ******** call.

Even though it wound up not mattering, I still can't get over this call. You make a correct call. You allow the batter and the manager to essentially perform a sit in until you confer with the other umpires, none of which had a vantage point that could have possibly seen whether the ball was tipped. As Jim DeShaies pointed out, you even trot in outfield umpires, who were a good football field away from the action. You then sit there and dissect various noises as though you are going through the damn Zapruder Film. Meanwhile, mind you, the home fans who are watching the replay, although admittedly biased, are reacting in a manner that makes it evident the right call was made.

I mean, let's pretend it did graze the bat. At that point, I don't think it's that big of a deal to with your original call. It's a tough call, and you may get it wrong. But to sit there and deliberate for 5 minutes and second guess your original call based on absolutely nothing is terrible.

As bad of call in an important spot as I can ever remember seeing.

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even though it wound up not mattering, I still can't get over this call. You make a correct call. You allow the batter and the manager to essentially perform a sit in until you confer with the other umpires, none of which had a vantage point that could have possibly seen whether the ball was tipped. As Jim DeShaies pointed out, you even trot in outfield umpires, who were a good football field away from the action. You then sit there and dissect various noises as though you are going through the damn Zapruder Film. Meanwhile, mind you, the home fans who are watching the replay, although admittedly biased, are reacting in a manner that makes it evident the right call was made.

I mean, let's pretend it did graze the bat. At that point, I don't think it's that big of a deal to with your original call. It's a tough call, and you may get it wrong. But to sit there and deliberate for 5 minutes and second guess your original call based on absolutely nothing is terrible.

The 3-0 lead the Dodgers had at the time was the only thing keeping my head from exploding on it. As every commentator said after the game, the process was unimaginably bad. If Davis pitches tonight and isn't absolutely perfect everyone will go back to this and probably with some validity, if for some reason the game is close and the Cubs don't bring out Davis it'll be discussed even more.

We can't use video replay review...but we can have a "use your imagination about what might have happened five minutes ago 90-300 feet away to overrule what someone saw instantly 3 feet away" review.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The 3-0 lead the Dodgers had at the time was the only thing keeping my head from exploding on it. As every commentator said after the game, the process was unimaginably bad. If Davis pitches tonight and isn't absolutely perfect everyone will go back to this and probably with some validity, if for some reason the game is close and the Cubs don't bring out Davis it'll be discussed even more.

We can't use video replay review...but we can have a "use your imagination about what might have happened five minutes ago 90-300 feet away to overrule what someone saw instantly 3 feet away" review.
It made Davis throw one extra pitch, so I can't imagine people coming back to this if Davis has a bad outing.

• Winner
Reactions: YeahBuddy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Well, there's always this one:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It made Davis throw one extra pitch, so I can't imagine people coming back to this if Davis has a bad outing.

My worst imagination scenarios as it was happening probably blurring my vision. Or maybe just frustration that we got a great lengthy 111 pitch start and still it feels like our bullpen is stretched out.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm killing it on cybookie in this series. I think I'm up roughly 350K just by betting the Dodgers every game, the last two with the Dodgers actually getting a run and a half. Like the Cubs offense and bullpen combination are going to win by more than 1.

My hope has been to reverse jinx the Dodgers by betting on them, but the sports gods won't take my (fake) money. Maybe I need to up the ante...

Help Support Us

Become a patron