Who you got this weekend?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Why do people think Kansas will cover the spread against TCU? Is the spread -60 TCU?

I'm seeing anywhere from 37.5 to 39 depending on the website. That's pretty high but certainly not impossible. If I was a gambler I don't know if I'd touch this game at all.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Same. I think the Texas defense is going to more than hold their own against the pokes. Will Texas be able to do enough offensively? That is where I'm not sure.

Right. It's a little similar to ISU's game against TT. Slow the game down, don't let it turn into a track meet, and keep their offense on the sidelines.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm seeing anywhere from 37.5 to 39 depending on the website. That's pretty high but certainly not impossible. If I was a gambler I don't know if I'd touch this game at all.
Very true, but man is Kansas bad and TCU is really good. Those high spreads are ones you really don't want to jump on as a gambler

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Huh. I've been going the other way. OSU hasn't been quite as good as I thought they'd be and Texas has been significantly better than I thought they'd be.

I personally don't think Texas is very good, especially offensively. I don't see them scoring much on OSU. While Texas has a good defense I don't think they can slow down the offensive fire power that OSU has.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Very true, but man is Kansas bad and TCU is really good. Those high spreads are ones you really don't want to jump on as a gambler

Kansas has given TCU a game ever since they've been in the Big 12. I wouldn't be shocked to see TCU win by 40, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see TCU win by less than 21.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
A couple comments on these two games.

First, Ku has held TCU within reach for several years. Also, perhaps more importantly this year, Gary Patterson is conservative and not one to run up the score. Once he has a game in hand, he puts the ball on ice.

On Texas, their pass defense secondary isn't good. oSu will wear them out down field. And Gundy is the polar opposite of Patterson.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
OU @ K-State - no reason to pick the Cats
ISU @ TxT - validation for which one?
oSu @ Texas - long day for horn secondary
Ku @ TCU - closer than the spread
WVU @ Baylor - bombs away

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/odds?group=12&season=2017&seasonType=1&week=8&type=0

Our defense was baaaad last year and we shut down TTU offense. This year, they're playing better than we thought they would and they understand the defensive schemes better. The fact that our D shut down Baker at home makes me very optimistic that we can take the wind out of TTU's offense yet again. If we can keep the offense on the field for any duration I think we take this one again this year and give a blueprint for everybody else how to beat TTU.

Results/Records after Saturday
OU wins (3-1)
ISU wins (3-1)
OSU wins (3-1)
TCU wins (4-0)
WVU wins (2-2)

KSU loses (1-3)
TTU loses (1-3)
UT loses (2-2)
KU loses (0-4)
BU loses (0-4)

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

First, Ku has held TCU within reach for several years. Also, perhaps more importantly this year, Gary Patterson is conservative and not one to run up the score. Once he has a game in hand, he puts the ball on ice.

On Texas, their pass defense secondary isn't good. oSu will wear them out down field. And Gundy is the polar opposite of Patterson.
I think the Texas defense actually matches up well with what Oklahoma State wants to do. They're one of the few defenses that can match up athlete for athlete on the outside, and Texas has a stifling front 7 when they want to be. Oklahoma St. has a dinged up offensive line, so I could see them struggling to run the ball and Rudolph running for his life all game.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
OU @ K-State - no reason to pick the Cats
ISU @ TxT - validation for which one?
oSu @ Texas - long day for horn secondary
Ku @ TCU - closer than the spread
WVU @ Baylor - bombs away

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/odds?group=12&season=2017&seasonType=1&week=8&type=0
Winners this week:

OU - Too many injuries and inconsistencies for purple kansas to keep up.
ISU - Back and forth all game long, Defense shuts down tech in the end.
OSU - Pokes score quickly, Texas rallies a bit, but OSU gets the win.
TCU - I thought upset pick here...just kidding, no I didn't.
WVU - Baylor will score some points, but remain the only winless P5 program at the end of the day.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
All I know is that my fatalism with ISU football evaporated with the OU win. This is a different program now. I feel really good about this game.

• Agree
Reactions: el tornado

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Gary needs to realize he needs a 60-70 point win here to legitimize his team as a playoff contender.

They are and will be right on the cut line and need all the bonus points they can get.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It's a Saturday in college football season which means KU football fans have time to do yard work...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
4 of 5 favorites win, 4 of 5 underdogs beat the spread (as it stands at time of this post).

Texas Tech 35, Iowa State 31
Texas 37, Oklahoma State 30 (OT)
Oklahoma 34, Kansas State 21
TCU 52, Kansas 17
West Virginia 44, Baylor 35