The Sunday After: Kansas

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I like the emphasis of special-teams play. That's an unsung element of this team, in almost every phase (weakest link is probably kickoff returns). Francis consistently kicks for touchback. Downing's deep-punts vs. KU were stellar. PR is dangerous (I could tell early in the season that Ryen would likely break a few big ones, and it occurred Saturday — helped to have a missed call for illegal blocks, sure). Owens isn't money on FGs, but is refreshingly reliable at PATs.
I have thought the return game this year was head scratching. Prior to Saturday we had only returned 8 punts all season for 30 yards. Not good at all and it seemed like our blocking wass non existent

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I like Jones and that run after the catch was impressive but there is a reason Ryen gets the touches he does...production.
Good article from Randy

Ryen reminds me a little of Josh Lenz. Everyone used to oooooo and ahhh about "Money" Reynolds and Horne but all Lenz did was catch balls and deliver. Similar to Ryen

No one notices the 3rd and five catch that keeps a drive moving or the 6 yard WR screen on first down that gives us 2nd a four and opens up the playbook. Those plays don't happen with WRs that are inconsistent and drop balls.

A lot of weapons to get touches to. Good news is Jones will fill in nicelt when Ryen leaves
Ryen is a great story, but an even better player. There's the big plays, but there's also the fact he opens things up with the defense needing to defend the entire field and the standard he sets for the underclassmen.

I know this staff didn't recruit him (nor did the previous), but a staff that can build something is the one that can identify guys like Ryen and DM.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Jones effort and YAC ability on Saturday was great. He needs touches, but so do DM, Ryen, Murdock, Butler, Lazard etc.

The deep ball is probably not going to happen as much with Kempt, but teams still have to defend that part of the field.
I have no problem with Kempt throwing a deep ball that a 6-5 receiver can high point in good coverage. He actually throws this ball really well because his arm forces him to put a lot of air under the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I have no problem with Kempt throwing a deep ball that a 6-5 receiver can high point in good coverage. He actually throws this ball really well because his arm forces him to put a lot of air under the ball.
As long as the case of the drops continues to inflict the defense and not our WRs. That's largely luck.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
As long as the case of the drops continues to inflict the defense and not our WRs. That's largely luck.

I don’t think we know that. Maybe because Kempt is less physically talented at throwing the perfect ball means that his are easier to catch?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I agree, due to his arm they are usually high back shoulder throws, which are almost impossible to cover as a (usually) shorter CB. He is not going to lead anyone down field as much, but that's okay. I'll take the back shoulder sideline throws all day

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
When you have 6'5" and 6'6" WRs that can jump going against 6'1" or shorter defenders...that is a great matchup. Only two things happen when you throw a ball up in that situation...a catch or an incompletion. And more times than not, you see the WR win that battle.You simply never see the defender coming down with that ball.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Except to Lazard in the end zone Saturday. LOL. That one didn't have enough air under it

• Agree

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don’t think we know that. Maybe because Kempt is less physically talented at throwing the perfect ball means that his are easier to catch?

Some would argue a "perfect ball" would be easier to catch . . .
vauEUgn.gif

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When you have 6'5" and 6'6" WRs that can jump going against 6'1" or shorter defenders...that is a great matchup. Only two things happen when you throw a ball up in that situation...a catch or an incompletion. And more times than not, you see the WR win that battle.You simply never see the defender coming down with that ball.

Of course that's what it should be. However, in the past it's been incompletions more than that height advantage would suggest, but maybe the group is responding to CMC asking them to step up. Or maybe we have a small sample. Regardless, if there is a connection to the change at QB, it likely has more to do with the WRs and the staff doing their jobs better than Kempt himself.

Also, did you see the INT go through KU's hands? In the small sample that is one game's box score, the lack of INTs and drops does have a luck factor.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I think the greatest offensive achievement in the Oklahoma game was the simplification of the game plan to what we could do best and not over-thinking the situation. I thought we started to over-think in the Kansas game but the defense stepped up and made it a non-factor. Our offense needs to continue taking care of the ball and keep the Tech offense off the field. If we do that, we will do alright.

Reactions: tazclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Of course that's what it should be. However, in the past it's been incompletions more than that height advantage would suggest, but maybe the group is responding to CMC asking them to step up. Or maybe we have a small sample. Regardless, if there is a connection to the change at QB, it likely has more to do with the WRs and the staff doing their jobs better than Kempt himself.

Also, did you see the INT go through KU's hands? In the small sample that is one game's box score, the lack of INTs and drops does have a luck factor.

Kempt has made good decisions back there and continues to make the "easy play/throw" instead of forcing things. I'm not sure how that can be viewed as a negative. Kempt may not have a big arm but he is really sharp between the ears and his analytical skills make him a pretty reliable QB IMO. Park may have the stronger arm but Kempt makes better decisions and it's not even close.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

The only INT I saw go through Kansas hands was a deeper sideline route that wasn't a jump ball and would have been a great play by a LB. Kempt tried to throw it over the LB and under the S. If you are referring to Lazard in the endzone...that ball was not thrown properly to allow Lazard the advantage and Lazard slips. A perfect example of why those are low risk. Also, that ball did not go through the DBs hands. It was tipped and out of his reach. The replay is on Cyclones TV and that play occurs at the 51:26 mark The WR wins that battle or the ball falls. It isn't luck...it is playing the odds. That play is a perfect example. Not a well thrown ball, WR slips and ball still falls incomplete.

And I disagree that it has been more incompletions than the height advantage would suggest. Montgomery and Butler consistently win those jump balls. Heck, Akers, Martin, Lazard all won jump balls

I do agree that your sample size is small. Looking at one play against Kansas is a very small sample size.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
1.) The only INT I saw go through Kansas hands was a deeper sideline route that wasn't a jump ball and would have been a great play by a LB. Kempt tried to throw it over the LB and under the S. If you are referring to Lazard in the endzone...that ball was not thrown properly to allow Lazard the advantage and Lazard slips. A perfect example of why those are low risk. Also, that ball did not go through the DBs hands. It was tipped and out of his reach. The replay is on Cyclones TV and that play occurs at the 51:26 mark The WR wins that battle or the ball falls. It isn't luck...it is playing the odds. That play is a perfect example. Not a well thrown ball, WR slips and ball still falls incomplete.

2.)And I disagree that it has been more incompletions than the height advantage would suggest. Montgomery and Butler consistently win those jump balls. Heck, Akers, Martin, Lazard all won jump balls

I do agree that your sample size is small. Looking at one play against Kansas is a very small sample size.
It's likely not worth responding, as you went right when I went left, but alas...
1.) That's to my original point, you have to throw more than just jump balls, and it's also too small of sample to say Kempt will not have UT type games. To just use the box score and say no picks ignores far too much, but by all means go ahead.
2.) In regards to the jump ball throws, my point was that I don't see a recent improvement at QB as much as a recent improvement in coaching and in the play at WR. In previous years, and even in earlier games, drops were an issue. Martin and Akers catches are completely irrelevant then. I also believe the coaches have adjusted the game plan and if Park were to return would need to continue to use the QB position to augment the playmakers, not make them the playmaker.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It's likely not worth responding, as you went right when I went left, but alas...
1.) That's to my original point, you have to throw more than just jump balls, and it's also too small of sample to say Kempt will not have UT type games. To just use the box score and say no picks ignores far too much, but by all means go ahead.
2.) In regards to the jump ball throws, my point was that I don't see a recent improvement at QB as much as a recent improvement in coaching and in the play at WR. In previous years, and even in earlier games, drops were an issue. Martin and Akers catches are completely irrelevant then. I also believe the coaches have adjusted the game plan and if Park were to return would need to continue to use the QB position to augment the playmakers, not make them the playmaker.
  1. Nowhere did I point to a box score. Nowhere did I say only throw jump balls. Nowhere did I say Kempt won't have a Texas type game You claimed the defender dropped the ball against KU...he didn't. you double downed on it and when I asked what you were referring to you are going another direction. I strictly called your comment of "As long as the case of the drops continues to inflict the defense and not our WRs. That's largely luck" BS. Your whole premise is that Kempt has been successful throwing jump balls because defenders drop the ball. I call that BS.
  2. Back to the OP that you responded to....he stated he thought Kempt throws a better jump ball...I'm not sure about that but he makes a good point. Kempt does not have the arm strength that Park does and has to put more air under balls. I tend to agree with you that the sample size is too small on Kempt.
Jump balls are low risk especially to 6'5" WRs but your original statement that defenders drop balls is not correct. But please...feel free to give examples of when the jump balls went through the defenders hands...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like Jones and that run after the catch was impressive but there is a reason Ryen gets the touches he does...production.
Good article from Randy

Ryen reminds me a little of Josh Lenz. Everyone used to oooooo and ahhh about "Money" Reynolds and Horne but all Lenz did was catch balls and deliver. Similar to Ryen

No one notices the 3rd and five catch that keeps a drive moving or the 6 yard WR screen on first down that gives us 2nd a four and opens up the playbook. Those plays don't happen with WRs that are inconsistent and drop balls.

A lot of weapons to get touches to. Good news is Jones will fill in nicelt when Ryen leaves
So will Jones wear #19 when Ryen leaves?

;)

• Funny
Reactions: tazclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron