Keeping Campbell

Rocketac

Nov 29, 2015
Ft. Worth
I could see a school like Nebraska looking at what Campbell has been able to do at ISU in two years and go after him. I could also see a mid major going after Manning as a head coach. A lot depends on what happens from here to the end of the year, and then next year if everyone stays put. Not going to worry about it until the end of the year at the earliest.
Hey now...we've got Manning locked up to be HC when Jason Candle moves on...which is either this year or next.

• Optimistic
Reactions: srjclone

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I think some of you guys need to pump your breaks. I wouldn't give him an extension this soon, maybe a slight raise if he gets to a bowl game. I think Campbell has bigger aspirations than a 6 win bowl game, and I don't think he'd jump ship like chiznuts.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Campbell is 10 times the coach Rhodes was

Doesn't change my point.

Also, in 2009 everyone that Rhoads was the greatest thing to happen to ISU football.

I'm not saying Campbell isn't a great coach and won't do great things (in fact it's the opposite, I think he is and he will). I'm just saying let's give things a little perspective.

Reactions: heitclone

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
The nice thing is that we are seeing early success with Campbell, rather than waiting until the system is 100% his own recruits. This tells you how well of a coaching job he and his staff are doing; taking the players of another coach and moulding them into a system of his own. We should be enjoying the success we are having now, rather than worrying about how we are going to keep CMC here for the long term. You're not enjoying the ride if you always worry about what the driver is doing.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
He's young, his coaches are young and raising families. I can't think of a better place to stay and raise your kids. He can go back to Ohio in 20 years and still coach another 10 if he wants. 20 if he pulls a Bill Snyder-

• Funny
Reactions: Spanky

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Doesn't change my point.

Also, in 2009 everyone that Rhoads was the greatest thing to happen to ISU football.

I'm not saying Campbell isn't a great coach and won't do great things (in fact it's the opposite, I think he is and he will). I'm just saying let's give things a little perspective.
Hyperbole is dangerous when looking back. There was discontent with Rhoads and his high level vision even in 2009. Of course, he was even more over his head than realized.

Even then, his contract extension was the right move, as it would be if someone came after CMC early. Just like with Rhoads, we may not be any further along in 5 years, but there's a better chance of getting there with him than from going through a coaching change.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Lets hold on a moment. Pollard has said it before, Campbell can recruit and say the right things but in the end success on the field is what matters. Keeping Campbell's staff is going to be the hard part. Manning will be sniped for a HC position eventually. I don't see Campbell going anywhere for a while.

Campbell's salary is 2 million a year
$500,000 bonus for 6 wins, which $100,000 can be used for a supplemental bonus pool for his staff
$100,000 bonus for winning a bowl game
$250,000 bonus for winning XII title
$50,000 bonus for XII coach of the year

His contract is geared towards perform and get paid. Pretty good for being one of the youngest P5 FB coaches.

100% contract buy-out each way. After this year, there are 4 years left on his contract which is up in 2021 (? not sure when in 2021). That means the buyout would be at least $8 million to ISU.

CMC is the 58th high paid NCAA fb coach out of 128 (same salary as Rutgers and Navy but higher bonuses)

CMC is 9th in the XII salaries

IMO, CMC wont get a raise this year but gets his bonus for a bowl game. If at the end of year three, the success is continued, expect a raise to at least 2.5 million to be competitive. That still places him 9th of the XII, in the middle of the BIG coaches salaries, upper half of the ACC, bottom of the PAC-12 and SEC.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Last edited:

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
If CMC sustains winning seasons for 3-4 years at Iowa State the big schools will come calling. If Urban decides he's done for whatever reason this time, ISU will not be able to outbid OSU. It will come down to whether CMC wants to stay or not. If he goes, then thank him for turning the program around and try to hold on to one of his assistant coaches as a replacement.

Until then, stop worrying about what could happen down the road and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: skibumspe

pmundo

Nov 17, 2016
Actually wrote about this today: https://www.heartlandcollegesports..../is-iowa-state-prepared-to-pay-matt-campbell/

We may end up with openings at Tennessee, Nebraska, UCLA, and Arkansas. Plus who knows what other SEC school succumbs to booster pressures by the end of the season. I’m looking at you Florida, Texas A&M, LSU and Auburn. Meantime, regardless of their success this season, is the relationship completely fractured between Brian Kelly and Notre Dame?

The point is: while we always have a robust coaching carousel, this year could be unique in the number of high-profile jobs that could become available.

And for any university President or athletic director out there, why wouldn’t Matt Campbell be on your short list?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
If CMC sustains winning seasons for 3-4 years at Iowa State the big schools will come calling. If Urban decides he's done for whatever reason this time, ISU will not be able to outbid OSU. It will come down to whether CMC wants to stay or not. If he goes, then thank him for turning the program around and try to hold on to one of his assistant coaches as a replacement.

Until then, stop worrying about what could happen down the road and enjoy the ride.
And if he stays...we could potentially be playing on Campbell Field at JTS in 20 years ;)

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34a87de1c803b0aa74343bed9a.jpg

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Lets hold on a moment. Pollard has said it before, Campbell can recruit and say the right things but in the end success on the field is what matters. Keeping Campbell's staff is going to be the hard part. Manning will be sniped for a HC position eventually. I don't see Campbell going anywhere for a while.

Campbell's salary is 2 million a year
$500,000 bonus for 6 wins, which $100,000 can be used for a supplemental bonus pool for his staff
$100,000 bonus for winning a bowl game
$250,000 bonus for winning XII title
$50,000 bonus for XII coach of the year

His contract is geared towards perform and get paid. Pretty good for being one of the youngest P5 FB coaches.

100% contract buy-out each way. After this year, there are 4 years left on his contract which is up in 2021 (? not sure when in 2021). That means the buyout would be at least $8 million to ISU.

CMC is the 58th high paid NCAA fb coach out of 128 (same salary as Rutgers and Navy but higher bonuses)

CMC is 9th in the XII salaries

IMO, CMC wont get a raise this year but gets his bonus for a bowl game. If at the end of year three, the success is continued, expect a raise to at least 2.5 million to be competitive. That still places him 9th of the XII, in the middle of the BIG coaches salaries, upper half of the ACC, bottom of the PAC-12 and SEC.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Your not competing against 128.
Your competing against 65ish BCS schools. Of which 58 is definitely on the low end, not unexpected this early in the tenure, but no reason contract isn't relooked at this offseason.
There are several coaches in the 45-55 range that are getting paid more and done less that were in a similar situation. MC seems to be on the lower end of coaches that were hired at/around similar time.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Save your bs for another thread, CMC isn't going to Illinois or Purdue.
Agree. There's probably a handful of jobs that he'd leave for (assuming he's happy here) and those 2 aren't anywhere near that list.

We aren't losing him after this season due to any money issue.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Just have him hang out at the gate so everyone can stuff a $5 bill in his pocket.
Should be enough to keep him happy.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Until Urban Meyer "retires" again or Franklin leaves Ped St, this thread is moot. Just my humble opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW