Anyone have experience with switching careers in your 30's?

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Random question, but im sort of at an unexpected crossroads. I'm 33 and work as a golf course Assistant Superintendent. Have a liberal studies degree from ISU and Turfgrass degree from IWCC. Loved the job and excelled at it, until the last 3 yrs in which I've developed horrible back problems. Had 2 surgeries in 2014 and was never the same. Problems were manageable until recently, but have started getting worse. I've come to the realization that if I don't want to be in a wheel chair in my 50's, I should probably change career paths.
Now that the back story is out of the way, I'll get to the point. I really have no clue where to go next. Out of college I worked in group ticket sales with the Omaha Royals and financial sales with Wells Fargo Financial. The job with WFF felt unethical, so I quit and went back to school. I feel comfortable in sales and feel a strength of mine is forming relationships, but am not sure of the best way to network myself at this point, being out of sales so long. I've heard there are recruiting services and companies you can pay to help you figure out your options, but I don't want to waste my money.
This has been long and rambling, but I felt it necessary to explain my past to show how I got where I am now at. Anyone with experience, suggestions, encouragements on what my next move should be? I'm all ears and open to any suggestions.

P.s. I'm currently in the Omaha metro, but would LOVE ago move back to the Des Moines area. I love Des Moines and have been looking for a reason to get back for years. I appreciate any feedback you guys have to offer.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
No personal experience, have a friend who was a lawyer for several years. Hated it. She went back to school, got a doctorate in art history, and actually got a job teaching that. She is much happier.

If you want to go into sales in the Des Moines area, probably best to get advice from someone that does that. Surely we have that on CF?

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Never too late to make a change. Sounds like you have a pretty compelling reason to look at something else. Sales / Relationship Management is a great track. Start talking to as many people outside your work circles as you can. Try to describe what you're looking for and where you want to do it. All the current digital tools are great, but still no substitute for pressing the flesh. Everybody who has a job, has a story about how they got into it. It usually involves knowing somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody...

Good Luck!

Reactions: cyclonebillski

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Another thought. You must deal with a lot of vendors in your current position? Is there a way to discreetly find out if equipment, fertilizer / chem suppliers, or others who sell you stuff have an opening for sales. Those companies might value someone with "inside knowledge" of how a course is managed.

55dB

Dec 21, 2014
Omaha
About 5 years ago I left a job as a retail manager, taking a pay cut, to sell life insurance. The insurance route really didn't fit, but it led me to a job in financial services, and that job led me to my current job in marketing for a different financial services company. It helped me greatly to know someone within the company.

Use your resources/friends, network, and take the chance. I knew I couldn't keep with retail hours and standing for that many hours so it drove me to get out.

Good luck!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
About 5 years ago I left a job as a retail manager, taking a pay cut, to sell life insurance. The insurance route really didn't fit, but it led me to a job in financial services, and that job led me to my current job in marketing for a different financial services company. It helped me greatly to know someone within the company.

Use your resources/friends, network, and take the chance. I knew I couldn't keep with retail hours and standing for that many hours so it drove me to get out.

Good luck!
Not to usurp the thread, but I had an opportunity to take over a big book of insurance (I don't work in insurnace but would have gotten my license) until I found out I'd have to keep selling new accounts. I asked why can't I just retain what was there and they said, even with the huge book, if I didn't sell more they'd break it up and give it to multiple agents.

Why? Why can't an agent just serve her/his clients well and let that be it?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Random question, but im sort of at an unexpected crossroads. I'm 33 and work as a golf course Assistant Superintendent. Have a liberal studies degree from ISU and Turfgrass degree from IWCC. Loved the job and excelled at it, until the last 3 yrs in which I've developed horrible back problems. Had 2 surgeries in 2014 and was never the same. Problems were manageable until recently, but have started getting worse. I've come to the realization that if I don't want to be in a wheel chair in my 50's, I should probably change career paths.
Now that the back story is out of the way, I'll get to the point. I really have no clue where to go next. Out of college I worked in group ticket sales with the Omaha Royals and financial sales with Wells Fargo Financial. The job with WFF felt unethical, so I quit and went back to school. I feel comfortable in sales and feel a strength of mine is forming relationships, but am not sure of the best way to network myself at this point, being out of sales so long. I've heard there are recruiting services and companies you can pay to help you figure out your options, but I don't want to waste my money.
This has been long and rambling, but I felt it necessary to explain my past to show how I got where I am now at. Anyone with experience, suggestions, encouragements on what my next move should be? I'm all ears and open to any suggestions.

P.s. I'm currently in the Omaha metro, but would LOVE ago move back to the Des Moines area. I love Des Moines and have been looking for a reason to get back for years. I appreciate any feedback you guys have to offer.

Twice, and no regrets.

If the recruiter wants YOU to pay them, don't walk - run away. A good friend of mine owns a staffing company in Omaha, and I'd be happy to put you in touch.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

I went through almost the very same thing you are at a similar age. I had many years of experience at a manual labor job, but with an unrelated degree. I moved, got married, started a family and feared I would lose the physical ability to be the father I wanted to be due to heavy wear and tear if I stayed on the same path. My wonderful wife urged me to stay in a related field somehow so I wouldn't waste my experience and knowledge. I found a new career that utilizes my abilities but also saves my back, knees and shoulders, and I couldn't be happier with where I'm at today.
My advice is to do what my wife advised me to do, find something that you can do while taking advantage of your knowledge and experience, especially since you enjoy your current field. Good luck with your future endeavors

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Twice, and no regrets.

If the recruiter wants YOU to pay them, don't walk - run away. A good friend of mine owns a staffing company in Omaha, and I'd be happy to put you in touch.

I'd love to get in touch with them, just to get some advice and find out some options I may have. Thank you.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Never too late to make a change. Sounds like you have a pretty compelling reason to look at something else. Sales / Relationship Management is a great track. Start talking to as many people outside your work circles as you can. Try to describe what you're looking for and where you want to do it. All the current digital tools are great, but still no substitute for pressing the flesh. Everybody who has a job, has a story about how they got into it. It usually involves knowing somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody...

Good Luck!

I have a good (cyclone) friend in Des Moines that may have a opportunity into a sales position that I am intrigued with. The hardest part is just trying to find a new path when I already thought I had it figured out till I'd retire.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Another thought. You must deal with a lot of vendors in your current position? Is there a way to discreetly find out if equipment, fertilizer / chem suppliers, or others who sell you stuff have an opening for sales. Those companies might value someone with "inside knowledge" of how a course is managed.

I had something of the reverse happen to me -- I was in a sales job, got in good with a client, who found out I was ready for a change and then hired me directly to run a product and program for them related to my old job (and some ex-competitors' products). I like to think that I did such a good job selling them on the product I sold myself right along with it. You never know if that side of the network might bear fruit, particularly if you are on a golf course, where you would figure some de facto sale meetings were already taking place.

Reactions: norcalcy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have a good (cyclone) friend in Des Moines that may have a opportunity into a sales position that I am intrigued with. The hardest part is just trying to find a new path when I already thought I had it figured out till I'd retire.

Not being flippant but in your 30's your still young in the business world. The part that is hard is reinventing yourself. You've already got a good start on that by heading toward sales. If you really like the golf/ turf industry I would try to stay with that because you already probably have a lot of connections and actual experience to put to use. Use the current connections that you currently have except in reverse, also I'm guessing trade show season may be coming up use that as an opportunity to expand your network of contacts. Best of luck on you future opportunities.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I know a guy who was working in turf management at a golf course and now is working for a sprinkler company. Seems that might have some of the same physical problems, not sure exactly what he does, but he has an ISU degree pertaining to turf management.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
youre 33, not time to freak out. Sales is a great opportunity to make money, but it has to be the right sales job. If I was in your position, married and couldnt do labor, I would look into teaching. You might have to be willing to move but it doesnt get easier than teaching. If you need money today, go get a job selling cars while you look. Most car sales job give you 3k/month while you "learn". Maybe youre good at it and can pull 80-120k? How bad does your back hurt? Electrician school? work inside mostly. If I had your golf experience maybe I would look into golf course management sales of some sort?

• Disagree
Reactions: iowa_wildcat

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
I know a guy who was working in turf management at a golf course and now is working for a sprinkler company. Seems that might have some of the same physical problems, not sure exactly what he does, but he has an ISU degree pertaining to turf management.

That was actually my plan, start my own sprinkler company, but it's pretty labor intensive. Still floating around in my head.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
youre 33, not time to freak out. Sales is a great opportunity to make money, but it has to be the right sales job. If I was in your position, married and couldnt do labor, I would look into teaching. You might have to be willing to move but it doesnt get easier than teaching. If you need money today, go get a job selling cars while you look. Most car sales job give you 3k/month while you "learn". Maybe youre good at it and can pull 80-120k? How bad does your back hurt? Electrician school? work inside mostly. If I had your golf experience maybe I would look into golf course management sales of some sort?

Your suggestions are odd, for these reasons. Wife is a teacher and we've discussed it, but with the uncertainty in Iowa, not sure that's a fit right now. Dad is also a small town car dealer who has done well for himself, but after living with the uncertainty growing up, not sure I could pull that trigger. Brother in law is actually an electrician and my wife suggested it just two days ago. Might be something I research. Fert and chemical sales might be my best option from the get-go, but margins are so small and competitive. Definitely some good suggestions to research.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I had done manual labor most of my life. Route Delivery/Sales and Commercial Plumber/HVAC, at 38 my body had a serious conversation with me about a career change versus being disabled in 10 years. I've alway's been kind of a tech geek so I sucked it up, took on the debt and got a 2 yr IT degree. Now the heaviest thing I lift is a box of Cat 6 or a server. After 2 years already making more than I was topped out at in the construction industry. Go for it, just make sure you're doing something that you like and have a passion for.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I changed job titles due to back problems, but within the same company. Not sure if that would be available to you. Sales has great earning potential and is easily my favorite position ever, but most will start you at a fairly meager income (assuming that the company gives any kind of base salary at all). As long as you have the means to take that hit for the first year or two, it's a great direction to go in.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Most car dealerships do NOT give a $3K salary while learning. Selling cars can be very rewarding if you love people, and are willing to work long, hard and smart.

Reactions: 3GenClone