Late Bloomers

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
(1) I didn't eat/like peanut butter till I was in college. Had a sack lunch from the dorm cafeteria for a geology field trip one day. Opened it up and it was peanut butter. Was so hungry I ate it. Decided I didn't hate peanut butter.

(2) Never had a dog until I was 40-something when CWW#2 adopted two basenjis. They were the bomb but haven't had any dogs since.

(3) Did not buy an auto with an automatic transmission until I was 64.

(4) I am on the opposite spectrum of some on the airplane flights. Betting I flew before almost anyone here. 1959 via United Airline DC-3 and DC-6 to California. Hey, we're going to Disneyland!

(5) Didn't take up running till I was in my 30's. I was better than average in 5k/10k which was pleasing for a totes non-athletic scrawny HS geek.

Reactions: khardbored

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
(1) I didn't eat/like peanut butter till I was in college. Had a sack lunch from the dorm cafeteria for a geology field trip one day. Opened it up and it was peanut butter. Was so hungry I ate it. Decided I didn't hate peanut butter.

(2) Never had a dog until I was 40-something when CWW#2 adopted two basenjis. They were the bomb but haven't had any dogs since.

(4) I am on the opposite spectrum of some on the airplane flights. Betting I flew before almost anyone here. 1959 via United Airline DC-3 and DC-6 to California. Hey, we're going to Disneyland!

(5) Didn't take up running till I was in my 30's. I was better than average in 5k/10k which was pleasing for a totes non-athletic scrawny HS geek.

#3 makes you a man. Just bought a stick shift. My testosterone levels increase with each clumsy shift

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Graduated college (ISU) at the age of 33. Worked straight out of high school and back in 2014 (after getting my AA from DMACC) I quit working to go to ISU full-time. What was scary is that I had a mortgage, car payment, stay-at-home wife, and two kids (#2 was born while I was taking summer classes).

I'd say it's probably substantially easier to just go to college straight out of high school.

Benefit maybe being that going back later in life possibly finds you in a place where you know what you want to do.

I've known plenty of people that went back a few years after originally graduating.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I grew up in Muscatine County. Went to the Quad Cities many many many times. But it wasn't until after I graduated from college before I ever had been to Clinton, Dubuque or the state of Wisconsin. Age 25.

I'd been to Chicago several times.
Missouri,
Omaha,
Minnesota,
And long trip to the west coast and another to Florida and back.
But for some reason our family never had any reason to head North/Northeast even short distances.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

What does CWW#2 mean?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Works great as a security system as well.

One caveat I used to think of. If I was a victim of a carjacking at some intersection I'd get forced out of the car then they would get in only to find it was a stick and get pissed and shoot me. :rolleyes: So, my plan was to get out of the car and run like hell.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
College buddies used to go to Grateful Dead shows, but I didn’t until my 30s, when I saw four or five shows one year in Chicago, where I was working on a consulting project at the time.

It was great. The first shows were indoors and two later were at Soldier Field.

I know not everyone likes the Dead . . . but for your listening enjoyment . . . .

Below are some YT videos of their song Big River, out of the dozens available online, a song first recorded and written by Johnny Cash in 1958. The first version is the one I saw cited by instructional videos of how to play Jerry’s solo. The second is from about the time I saw the Dead. The others date back to within about a year of when they first played it in 1971.

Johnny Cash’s version is also awesome. The lyrics evoke American folk music in its broadest sense. “I heard my my dream went back downstream cavortin’ in Davenport, and I followed you, big river, when you called.” Come on. And going down the Mississippi from its beginning to end, like the song. In the Dead’s version especially, from the tempo, solos, and percussion, like a fast . . . . . . . (“River Queen”) headed downstream.

San Francisco, 8-13-75

Washington D.C., 6-14-91

Jersey City, 8-4-76

Tampa, 12-19-73

San Francisco, 12-31-72

Jersey City, 9-27-72
https://youtu.be/27WS8no_RnQ

I never saw the Dead again, though I would have liked to. But I’m glad I saw them then.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I didn't really start to get real deeply into music, esp. live music, until early-mid 20's. I feel like it was something I was supposed to be doing in high school or college, but I caught the bug around 23 and really went to as much as I could for several years. I suppose exposure and monetary availability played into it.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
#3 makes you a man. Just bought a stick shift. My testosterone levels increase with each clumsy shift
I never drove an automatic until I was about 20. This has always confused me how grown men think they are more of a man driving a stick shift. I did when I was 7. Not that difficult. Kind of like truckers thinking they have some magic skill. Literally anyone can do it if they have arms and feet.

• Funny

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I never drove an automatic until I was about 20. This has always confused me how grown men think they are more of a man driving a stick shift. I did when I was 7. Not that difficult. Kind of like truckers thinking they have some magic skill. Literally anyone can do it if they have arms and feet.

My brother-in-law asked me to drive his car on the farm to his parents once. Handed me the keys and took off. It was a stick shift Fiero. I was probably 40 and it was the first time I drove a stick. It wasn't pretty, but I made it and luckily it was only about a 10 mile trip.

The only saving grace was I drove a stick simulator in driver's ed for about 15 minutes, and I remembered what to do.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Always worked in Social Services/Education. I bought an old commercial building, rehabbed upstairs into large loft apartments. In the process of opening second business on first floor. Completely out of character for my family system which has made it more interesting.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Our father made sure we all knew how to drive a manual transmission. Basically that's all he ever owned when we were growing up. So if you wanted to drive you drove a manual. But agree, it's not manly. My sister who is 67 just bought a new Soul and insisted on the manual transmission.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Still have yet to go to the Deep South not counting airports. Been to NC, Tennessee, parts of florida, and Arkansas but not the deep. Might take a trip to New Orleans for New Years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron