(Lack of) Iowa Football Fan Support

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You mean lose to a team you're better than because the other team played well above themselves? No, they don't feel that.

Iowa fans are thrilled they had a close loss. It easily could have been a blowout.
I think most Iowa fans expected to win that game earlier in the day, and with a minute and a half left to play. Yet they didn't .... seemed to fit.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I agree, but many of these fans are not diehard sports fans. They put on their t-shirts, yell "Go Hoks", and buy black and gold Bud Lights, but they couldn't care less about the actual game. When they're watching a 17-3 snoozer that lasts 4 hours, all they can think about is their buddies at home slamming beers and yelling at the TV inbetween smoke breaks.
Smoke breaks? Wrong. Most smoke right inside their trailer....

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think most Iowa fans expected to win that game earlier in the day, and with a minute and a half left to play. Yet they didn't .... seemed to fit.

I was expecting a much different game. Figured we'd keep it tight early but then PSU would pull away in the second half with all of the horses they have on O. Sucks to lose like that but what a great game. Glad our guys competed like that with one of the best teams in the country in what I still think is a transition/rebuild year.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm not going to lie, I thought that the Hawkeye crowd was loud. And they aren't usually that loud.

I refuse to give them any credit.

So either the mics were amped up in the crowd, or they were pumping fake noise ala 2015 Atlanta Falcons.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I was expecting a much different game. Figured we'd keep it tight early but then PSU would pull away in the second half with all of the horses they have on O. Sucks to lose like that but what a great game. Glad our guys competed like that with one of the best teams in the country in what I still think is a transition/rebuild year.

Pff- moral victory. Tastes like ****, huh?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

There's been too many ISU games over the years where we had the win if we could've gotten just one more stop. Never easy to lose like that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Thought the crowd looked good last night, and sounded loud on TV. If there were 4,300 open seats I'm not sure where they were.

I'll admit as well I'm jealous of there ability to pull off their black and gold shirts in the stands.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Thought the crowd looked good last night, and sounded loud on TV. If there were 4,300 open seats I'm not sure where they were.

I'll admit as well I'm jealous of there ability to pull off their black and gold shirts in the stands.

Swap out the black for cardinal and it would have looked pretty damn amazing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's the real question now that we're less than 12 hours before game time.... have they decided to hand out free condoms and nachos yet to anyone that buys a ticket today?

But seriously, does anyone think that we're nearing a tipping point soon with sports attendance in general? These teams are building nicer and nicer stadiums, making tons of expensive renovations, building athlete only dorms that pamper these athletes like crazy, etc, etc, etc.

It's just becoming WAY too expensive for people to justify supporting this arms race IMO. I think it's going to be a huge problem going forward. These schools are going to build these cathedrals, and in a few years they might be half full.

I think you are seeing it a lot of places. I don't want to hear anyone talk about people being "bad fans" for not buying tickets unless they have a family. With kids schedules and the price of going to a game, it's just not doable for a lot of people.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Moral victories.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

There were some pretty big gaps in the upper deck of end zone seats. I would guess the 4,300 was pretty close to right. I guess from the stands it really didn't seem super loud, but that may be because I was in the end zone.

The Clones could pull off the shirt trick with some effort from the fans and the ticket office.

Sep 13, 2015
You never went to bed last night, did you? Stayed up drinkin'?
Didn't start drinking until I got home from the game. I was DD. Picked up my uncle in an undisclosed location in DSM around 1:00 PM yesterday. Got home around 2:00 AM this morning. Had some Bacardi waiting in the freezer. And, of course, the backup High Lifes in the fridge. I'm still up drinking. I'm waiting until Taco Casa opens and then Uber is going to take me to get fajitas. Then I'm going to nap.

Reactions: NWICY and Peter
Sep 13, 2015
There were some pretty big gaps in the upper deck of end zone seats. I would guess the 4,300 was pretty close to right. I guess from the stands it really didn't seem super loud, but that may be because I was in the end zone.

The Clones could pull off the shirt trick with some effort from the fans and the ticket office.
You were there? You're full of ****. I was North End Zone. I've only been to Trice for a couple Iowa games. Kinnick has been louder than last night, but not by much. I can't speak to Trice, since I've only been there for a couple of their few annual sellouts. Maybe they tune it up for Kansas.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
One other thing too is that apparently all of the hotels in the area require a two night minimum stay on game weekends. That would be a non-starter for me. I'd be happy to get a hotel room that night for after the game, but I'm not going to pay for two nights. Apparently enough idiots do it that they're able to get away with it.

Maybe some of these fans should be supporting the program that is just a quick 30 minute jaunt up the road instead. Problem is we lost an entire generation of fan building a few decades ago, but that's a debate for another thread.

Most Ames hotels require a 2 night stay, as well. UNI - we made a weekend of it. Iowa - we stayed in a neighboring town.

Sep 13, 2015
You mean lose to a team you're better than because the other team played well above themselves? No, they don't feel that.

Iowa fans are thrilled they had a close loss. It easily could have been a blowout.
"Tickled to have had a chance" is a better description of that. We were completely outclassed by their D + Barkley. Sad that we couldn't get one more play. We actually have a competitive team in our division this year, but we were lucky enough to draw the last 3 Big Ten East champions for our crossover schedule. Perhaps Karma for our 2015 run. Remember when you guys were in the Big 12 North for years and you never won it?

Edit: And the best team from the Big 12 North joined the Big Ten and they're Nebraska? Remember that?

PS: We'll see how our teams develop over the course of the year and I know we'll probably get home points against you next year, but early signs point to ISU beating us by probably 2 TDs next year.

• Disagree
Reactions: breck53

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You were there? You're full of ****. I was North End Zone. I've only been to Trice for a couple Iowa games. Kinnick has been louder than last night, but not by much. I can't speak to Trice, since I've only been there for a couple of their few annual sellouts. Maybe they tune it up for Kansas.

Iowa only has a few sellouts every year too btw.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron