Pellet Smokers in central iowa

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
After the last smoker thread a couple weeks ago I didn't realize how many CFers had pellet smokers.

I'm in the process of trying to get a bulk order (2000 lb) of lumberjack brand pellets. This dealer will set up a group buy but needs 4 people to buy a 1/4 ton. We had 3 people they asked us if we instead wanted 1/3 and another backed out.

So I'm hoping to find 2 people that want 13 40lb bags of pellets. I think you can mix any of their flavors. With shipping the price is just under $13 for 40 lb.

I can give more details in here or pm me.

edit: since I've been asked a couple times, the pick up city is Ankeny at the freight terminal

Last edited:
Reactions: JP4CY

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
Good price, just way too many pellets for me.

If you have the space, they don't go bad. If you don't have the space then it doesn't matter.

I just got the pizza oven attachment for my green mountain and have been using lots of flour and lots of pellets.

6DC4ISU

Mar 14, 2014
If you're still looking for people I'd be interested. Could probably take more than 13 bags if needed.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
Would you be interested in 6 if I did the other 7?

Yep just let me know.
I live in Ankeny as well @CYvilEng

If you're still looking for people I'd be interested. Could probably take more than 13 bags if needed.

@cycloner29 @JP4CY @6DC4ISU we had someone sneak in on Sunday via PM who is ending up getting the missing 1/2 ton from this order. It sounds like you guys might be 75% of the way to a full order though.

We are using the company BBQPelletsOnline if you want to check out more. I haven't ordered from them before. The thing we just found out yesterday is that when shipping to the freight terminal, all orders must be picked up concurrently. We'll see if that turns out to be a challenge.

It does appear that we could get a CF group buy in the future. If someone has access to a loading dock it might help the pickup process.

Reactions: JP4CY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Down to my last 80 lbs of pellets. Anyone about to bulk order some pellets? I would go in.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I would be interested in a bulk order if the prices are still good. I probably wouldn't need 13 bags either, but would split a portion.
Live in Ames but make it to Ankeny often.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’d be interested. Also don’t need 13 bags but would do 6,7.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
After the last smoker thread a couple weeks ago I didn't realize how many CFers had pellet smokers.

I'm in the process of trying to get a bulk order (2000 lb) of lumberjack brand pellets. This dealer will set up a group buy but needs 4 people to buy a 1/4 ton. We had 3 people they asked us if we instead wanted 1/3 and another backed out.

So I'm hoping to find 2 people that want 13 40lb bags of pellets. I think you can mix any of their flavors. With shipping the price is just under $13 for 40 lb.

I can give more details in here or pm me.

edit: since I've been asked a couple times, the pick up city is Ankeny at the freight terminal

Just quoting the OP so hopefully he comes back if he's still interested. Sounds like everyone wants the half order (6 or 7) so we'd need 8.

Me, Josh4Cy, JP4CY are in, and the potential of my brother in law.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I've got the BGE, the biggest problem is surface area. I can only get 2 rack ribs on mine (large). I'm thinking of getting a pellet smoker for more volume cooking. This thread should has been helpful

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've got the BGE, the biggest problem is surface area. I can only get 2 rack ribs on mine (large). I'm thinking of getting a pellet smoker for more volume cooking. This thread should has been helpful
What diameter is it? I coil up 3 racks on my WSM 18.5.