On That Note #4: MeanDean/cyclones500 music review

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Number 4 in the series, and my 2nd entry of "It's My Vault."

Sloan_Between_the_Bridges.jpg
“Between the Bridges,” Sloan (1999)
Background: Formed in 1991 in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Members: Chris Murphy, Andrew Scott, Jay Ferguson, Patrick Pentland.
The band is known for their sharing of songwriting from each member of the group and their unaltered line-up throughout their career.

Anyone who has read my ramblings in music threads on CF may notice frequent reference to Sloan, which I like to call “Canada’s Best-Kept Secret.”

Sloan's style range is expansive. It can go from sweet to rocking, gentle to thrashy, psychedelic to contemplative. The group’s music may bring comparisons to The Beatles and the sound of mid- to-late ‘60s, but it’s almost never retro-derivative. Through 11 LPs, 2 EPs and more than 30 singles, the songs continue to sound fresh.

A good starting point for the uninitiated is “Between the Bridges,” which I place above the critically respected “One Chord to Another” (also worth sampling). (I’m partial to the 2006 double-length “Never Hear the End of It,” but I’ll tackle that another day.)

A unique (and highly effective) aspect of Sloan: Each member writes songs, sings lead and, when the band plays live, they often switch instruments (an example appears in the video clip below for "Losing California" — they aren't just doing that as a visual gimmick). Harmonies and backing instruments serve the songs in an ego-free approach. It may be the only longtime rock band that operates as a true democracy. It’s like the universal health care of alt-rock.

I haven’t even broached the lyrics and storytelling strengths. If you dig the music, that part will take care of itself.

Enough with the analytics. Have a listen.

Key entry points:

* Don’t You Believe a Word

* Sensory Deprivation

* So Beyond Me

* Friendship

Further listening: "One Chord to Another" (1996); "Twice Removed" (1993); "Never Hear the End of It" (2006)

Last edited:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
At first when I saw the name Jay Ferguson I thought it was the guy who was in the band Spirit and later had the solo hit Thunder Island.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
At first when I saw the name Jay Ferguson I thought it was the guy who was in the band Spirit and later had the solo hit Thunder Island.

Didn't even think about that. ... I used to have similar reaction encountering the name Mick Jones (The Clash or Foreigner?). There are other examples of musician namesakes, I can't think of them off-hand.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I think maybe @cyclones500 mentioned this act to me before. His first link is definitely my favorite. Has a real early 80's power pop feel to it.

The Between the Bridges tracks have more of a Beatles to Oasis feel. Any time an act incorporates the harmonies like they do I notice.

I generally have a negative attitude towards a lot of Canadian acts. I think it started when a buddy of mine always commented on groups from Canada and it sort of rang true often enough I sort of adopted it. This one helps me put that aside.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Sloan played on its "4 Songwriting Kings" aesthetic in 2014 with "Commonwealth."

It features one "album side" per band member. Usually, I don't attempt to separate who-did-what, and my feelings are mixed about its overall impact, but it's a cool idea.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I generally have a negative attitude towards a lot of Canadian acts. I think it started when a buddy of mine always commented on groups from Canada and it sort of rang true often enough I sort of adopted it. This one helps me put that aside.
I generally have a negative attitude towards Canadian acts because, as a child, my parents used to make us listen to Anne Murray on 8-track during family road trips. To this day, I'm pretty sure I know every lyric to every Anne Murray song. I feel this gives me extra incentive to dislike Bieber and Drake.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

From standpoint of curiosity and discussion, do you remember which Canadian acts your friend cited?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
From standpoint of curiosity and discussion, do you remember which Canadian acts your friend cited?

The ones I remember that I agreed with were Rush (standing by to get neg replies on that one) and Bryan Adams. Also Celine Dion maybe? It was a long time ago. Those are the only ones I really remember.

I think he was down on BTO too, but I always liked both the Guess Who and BTO. Also liked the Barenaked Ladies

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
The ones I remember that I agreed with were Rush (standing by to get neg replies on that one) and Bryan Adams. Also Celine Dion maybe? It was a long time ago. Those are the only ones I really remember.

I think he was down on BTO too, but I always liked both the Guess Who and BTO. Also liked the Barenaked Ladies

Nickelback? :)

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

You won't get a neg-reply from me about Rush. I've never been able to grasp the appeal. I admire the musicianship, but not a fan of Geddy Lee's voice, and seems like the catalog either is overly complex or the poppier stuff has been played to death.

(That is likely to draw some negative replies :))

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Other Canadian artists/bands that I can remember are:
Nick Gilder (Hot Child in the City)
Bryan Adams
Chilliwack
Triumph
April Wine

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
You won't get a neg-reply from me about Rush. I've never been able to grasp the appeal. I admire the musicianship, but not a fan of Geddy Lee's voice, and seems like the catalog either is overly complex or the poppier stuff has been played to death.

(That is likely to draw some negative replies :))

We agree 100%. Can't handle his voice. That makes it unlistenable for me.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Not that I'm big on the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but given who has been inducted, it seems odd to me that the Guess Who aren't in there. Canadian bias? Could also be that Burton Cummings rubs people the wrong way sometimes.

The Guess Who are one of my favorite bands. There is a clip on YouTube of them singing Undun on one of the early Midnight Special episodes (early 1970's). Burton Cummings looks like he came from two decades in the future. Also, most of the Running Back Through Canada DVD is on YouTube, which is a great concert.

• Informative

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Other Canadian artists/bands that I can remember are:
Nick Gilder (Hot Child in the City)
Bryan Adams
Chilliwack
Triumph
April Wine

Good ones. I'll add Aldo Nova to the list. (Almost forgot about him!)

Not sure if it counts: Alanis Morissette, although she relocated to U.S. before the breakthrough. Isn't that ironic, dontcha think?

• Funny
Reactions: Cydar

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron