19. Missouri
20. Hawaii
21. Ohio State
22. San Diego
23. Utah
24. Arizona
25. Purdue

Others Receiving Votes
USC, Western Kentucky, Dayton, Washington State, Iowa State, Colorado State, Pittsburgh, Baylor, Kansas State, Boise State, Wichita State, Texas A&M, Southern Methodist

Reactions: Sigmapolis

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm so hoping a good top 25 type season this year and a sweet sixteen or better.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Big 10 is one tough conference for VB.
I'll say - they put 6 teams in the final 16 in the NCAA's last year. And they put money in their programs: Indiana and Ohio State will have new VB arenas in 2018, and Iowa in 2019. Michigan planning one.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'll say - they put 6 teams in the final 16 in the NCAA's last year. And they put money in their programs: Indiana and Ohio State will have new VB arenas in 2018, and Iowa in 2019. Michigan planning one.

Have heard nothing about that and can't find anything. Got a link? Curious.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Have heard nothing about that and can't find anything. Got a link? Curious.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...be.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Indiana and Ohio State will each play in new arenas in 2018, and Iowa in 2019. Michigan has also discussed a new one.

And then there's this:

"About seven teams in the Big Ten are probably seriously thinking about, and putting the resources into, trying to win a national title in volleyball, Nebraska coach John Cook said. He wonders how many teams in the Big 12 Conference, other than Texas and Kansas, are thinking about the same thing."

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I am cautiously optimistic. Spring is just exhibition but they were playing with some fire against Minnesota and Wisconsin. Looked like they were maybe getting serious.
Well, asst coach Jen Malcom, who last played here nine years ago, looked really good against her players yesterday during the scrimmage. Can't think that's a good sign...

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Well, asst coach Jen Malcom, who last played here nine years ago, looked really good against her players yesterday during the scrimmage. Can't think that's a good sign...

No offense meant, but quit being wet blanket. The season hasnt started yet.

Coach seems very positive in her media day interview, much less nebulous and iffy than last few years. She said our block will be big and physical and Jess is finally healthy and Hanna is healthy and will make the rotation.

Let the Big 10 teams beat up on each other with lots of grueling 5 set matches without getting many reserves in to rest starters. It will do them no favors come tourney time.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...be.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Indiana and Ohio State will each play in new arenas in 2018, and Iowa in 2019. Michigan has also discussed a new one.

And then there's this:

"About seven teams in the Big Ten are probably seriously thinking about, and putting the resources into, trying to win a national title in volleyball, Nebraska coach John Cook said. He wonders how many teams in the Big 12 Conference, other than Texas and Kansas, are thinking about the same thing."

I think that article is mistaken on the new Hawkeye arena thing unless it's a super double probation secret that only the author knows about. :rolleyes:

With that said, it's no secret that I would love to have a Cyclone volleyball arena but I doubt it will ever happen. If we did anymore for volleyball the wrestling fans would riot and burn down Hilton in protest because it would somehow damage wrestling. :eek:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Coach seems very positive in her media day interview, much less nebulous and iffy than last few years. She said our block will be big and physical and Jess is finally healthy and Hanna is healthy and will make the rotation.

Let the Big 10 teams beat up on each other with lots of grueling 5 set matches without getting many reserves in to rest starters. It will do them no favors come tourney time.
Huh? The Big Ten put 6 teams in the final 16 last year. Purdue went 8-12 in the conference and swept us in 3 sets. CJL has said the program has underachieved, said "we have to get a LOT better" after Purdue last year.
I sit at VB matches with an ISU faculty member who was all-America at Ohio State. Knows his volleyball. He was not impressed at the scrimmage.
Playing in the Big 12 hurts us in the NCAA's. We pile up wins against teams that don't toughen us, don't get us better.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Sure seemed to help them in the tournament.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
the big 10 is definitely deep, and the competition builds skill, but there is a reason coaches track jumps. Ironically, the final did not include a Big 10 team. Nebraska looked gassed against Texas when they got blanked. And I don't think Wisconsin or Minnesota looked near as good in the final rounds than they did in conference play. I watched a ton of Big 10 volleyball last year.

I really don't think the ISU/Purdue match is a good statistical barometer of comparing leagues. I had no blinders on going into that match as I thought it was a horrible match up for us.

I'm going to be optimistic about the start of this ISU season at least to start.

And of course, I'm not going to argue, we could use more depth in our league, and losing Nebraska and now Mizzou, still hurts, but coach hasn't shied away from good non-conference games like other coaches who shall not be named.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I think we are ahead of where we have been the last 3 years at this time. We should be able to play a lot of players without the talent level dropping off a cliff. Is that going to be good enough I have no idea.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Just got done watching #9 Creighton beat #3 Washington at Washington in 4 sets.

Anybody know the recruiting story with CU star Jaali Winters from Ankeny. She would have been the same class as Schaben and Bailey who were both highly regarded recruits so it might have been a case of no schollie room for Winters. She is a heckuva player.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
She toyed with basketball for a bit and she had a friend or club teammate commit to CU if I remember correctly?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron