Campustown Redevelopment

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Years ago there was a Burger King and then a Maid Rite in about the same spot.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Southeast Rec Fields update:

The University requests permission to proceed with project planning for this project that would enhance 37 acres of existing recreation fields east of Jack Trice Stadium with new field layouts, field lighting, irrigation, and site furnishings. The project budget’s estimate is $8,000,000 to $12,000,000 and would be funded by ISU Recreation Services funds.

This project would continue to allow students to immerse themselves in a university where top-notch academics and a vibrant student life form the ultimate college experience. A new student-focused recreation field complex would be constructed to provide a high-quality student recreational experience to support the university’s growing student body. Specific features would include flag football and softball fields, sand volleyball courts, lights, irrigation, drainage, and support facilities. Additionally, the new site improvements would have flexible layouts to allow for two regulation football fields. This project would combine these needs and would result in synergetic use of this area of campus.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Southeast Rec Fields update:

The University requests permission to proceed with project planning for this project that would enhance 37 acres of existing recreation fields east of Jack Trice Stadium with new field layouts, field lighting, irrigation, and site furnishings. The project budget’s estimate is $8,000,000 to $12,000,000 and would be funded by ISU Recreation Services funds.

This project would continue to allow students to immerse themselves in a university where top-notch academics and a vibrant student life form the ultimate college experience. A new student-focused recreation field complex would be constructed to provide a high-quality student recreational experience to support the university’s growing student body. Specific features would include flag football and softball fields, sand volleyball courts, lights, irrigation, drainage, and support facilities. Additionally, the new site improvements would have flexible layouts to allow for two regulation football fields. This project would combine these needs and would result in synergetic use of this area of campus.
Boy. A lot of buzzwords there.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I was in Ames for a few days moving my daughter into Geoffroy Hall. I was so disappointed to see how Lincoln Way/Welch has essentially dried up relative to great independent businesses. We ate at Fighting Burrito (big disappointment) the first night there before move in. Then we ventured out looking for someplace to eat later in the week, and I was even more disappointed to see the state of the Lincoln Way/Duff area. Businesses shuttered. It was bizarre and unlike any recent college town I've been to. It was encouraging to see the new construction going on west of campus on Lincoln Way. Is there a grand plan for something happening soon?

Last edited:

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I was in Ames for a few days moving my daughter into Geoffroy Hall. I was so disappointed to see how Lincoln Way/Welch has essentially dried up relative to great independent businesses. We at ate Fighting Burrito (big disappointment) the first night there before move in. Then we ventured out looking for someplace to eat later in the week, and I was even more disappointed to see the state of the Lincoln Way/Duff area. Businesses shuttered. It was bizarre and unlike any recent college town I've been to. It was encouraging to see the new construction going on west of campus on Lincoln Way. Is there a grand plan for something happening soon?

Mr. Burrito >>>>>> Fighting Burrito

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I was in Ames for a few days moving my daughter into Geoffroy Hall. I was so disappointed to see how Lincoln Way/Welch has essentially dried up relative to great independent businesses. We ate at Fighting Burrito (big disappointment) the first night there before move in. Then we ventured out looking for someplace to eat later in the week, and I was even more disappointed to see the state of the Lincoln Way/Duff area. Businesses shuttered. It was bizarre and unlike any recent college town I've been to. It was encouraging to see the new construction going on west of campus on Lincoln Way. Is there a grand plan for something happening soon?
Fighting Burrito is always a huge mistake.

Lots of options on Main Street just north of Lincoln, and south on Duff there are tons of options, what are you talking about?

• Agree
Reactions: crawfy54

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Fighting Burrito is always a huge mistake.

Lots of options on Main Street just north of Lincoln, and south on Duff there are tons of options, what are you talking about?

Lincoln Way and the corner of LW/Duff looked like a **** hole; that's what I'm talking about. I thought that was pretty clear when I said Lincoln Way and the corner of Lincoln Way/Duff.

• Funny
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Duff is almost all chain restaurants but there's some good local options in the campustown area
  • Fighting Burrito
  • Mr. Burrito
  • Jeffs Pizza
  • Stomping Grounds
  • Cafe B
  • Pizza Pit (a chain)
  • Arcadia cafe

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
The Campustown area contains some really good casual local restaurants. Arcadia, Stomping Grounds, Cafe B, Mr Burrito, Taste Place, Trio, West Street Deli, Thai Kitchen. Fighting Burrito is the worst of the bunch.

Campustown has not had much for decent ; let alone great; indepedent retailers/stores in at least a decade; exception being perhaps Mayhem.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Lincoln Way and the corner of LW/Duff looked like a **** hole; that's what I'm talking about. I thought that was pretty clear when I said Lincoln Way and the corner of Lincoln Way/Duff.

Thats nothing new, that area between Clark and Duff along Lincoln Way needs to be revamped/redeveloped. Lots of tiny separately owned parcels that likely require consolidation for broad redevelopment. Ames did just approve a Lincoln Way corridor plan that specifically looked at this area along with a few others. DRAFT Ames Lincoln Way Corridor Plan LQ

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was in Campustown for the 2015 UNI game and had both Fighting and Mr. Burrito.

I was an OG Flying Burrito fanatic during my days in Ames, and I wasn't really at all disappointed by it. Didn't think Mr. Burrito was that great. Maybe I'll need to do another sample. For science.

I'm honestly kind of blown away by how slick Ames has become. Campustown has a ton more "name" places than it did in my day, with nice new buildings and all that. Downtown especially has ratcheted things up a bunch too, and the Somerset area is really nice. I've been to a lot of college towns, and any more the only independent local businesses are bars and casual restaurants. Things Campustown still has a lot of, and has arguably improved upon.

• Agree
Reactions: Jameshayden22