Campustown Redevelopment

Discussion in 'Campus Life' started by Haverhill, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Haverhill

Haverhill Well-Known Member

Cool shot I found on the interwebs this morning

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. BikeSkiClone

BikeSkiClone Active Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Woah. I saw the very early stages of that construction the last time I was in Ames, maybe two years ago but didn't know what it would be. Lived above Jeff's Pizza seven or eight years ago...times are changing.

3. JSmoove

JSmoove Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Male
    Transportation Engineer
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Google has updated the street view from Lincoln Way if you'd like more of a perspective from ground level.

4. Haverhill

5. Freebird

Freebird Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
  6. JSmoove

JSmoove Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Male
    Transportation Engineer
    2611 Helser, Louden
    #6 JSmoove, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Definitely would be nice to see something like that come to fruition. That area is such a dump. Especially when viewing it from the Mickey's patio (which is also a dump).

7. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    ISU/Ames is just going to keep exploding. I think we'll be at 40,000 enrollment in 5-10 years. More students, more money, better Campustown.

8. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    Eventually the old Dominoes and India Palace buildings will be torn down and a new 6 story building is going up. Not sure how that would affect this, but it probably will help move things along.

9. BikeSkiClone

BikeSkiClone Active Member

Jul 25, 2014
    In the new stretch of buildings on Lincoln Way, is everything above the ground floor student apartments? Are they considered on-campus or off-campus? I seem to remember reading something about ISU buying Legacy (or was it Cyclone Plaza?) and making those buildings 'on-campus' student housing. Who owns these new properties?

10. cdnlngld

cdnlngld Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Engineer
    Ames, IA
    Good use of this space, and also keeps traffic out from between the buildings. I know that the parking access(especially the one behind U.S. bank) is a hazard to pedestrian traffic. If you need to hang parabolic mirrors on the side of the building so that those exiting the parking can see pedestrians, it isn't very safe. One ting to consider though: What will businesses do for there waste/trash and still have access for waste removal trucks?

11. SolarGarlic

SolarGarlic Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Wow. Had no idea this had happened. It looks great, but the nostalgic part of me sheds a tear that it looks so different than when I attended.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mapnerd

mapnerd Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Male
    Ames
    Legacy Tower rooms are considered ISU, but I don't know if they bought the property. I believe they are just leasing.

13. canker2323

canker2323 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Deep Thinking
    Tijuana
    That doesn't mean it is not safe. Businesses will put their waste/trash in the trash cans. Same thing is done in downtown/business districts all over the country.

There should be more higher floor count/high density building near campuses. More efficient use of land.

14. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Welch Ave Should be a ped-mall type area from the clock tower to Lincoln Way.

Have the bars, restaurants, or other buildings seen some improvement too? It looks nicer from Lincoln Way, and definitely has a bigger city feel now, but if the other buildings on Welch are still holes, it doesn't really change much for the students.

15. Haverhill

Attached Files:

16. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    What intersection is this?!

17. Haverhill

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. laminak

laminak Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Marion
    It looks like it's Lincoln Way with Lynn/Morrill. The MU is to the right, Lake LaVerne is behind the trees on the right, and the old Campus Book Store (showing my age) is on the left.